Is my GPU Dead?

aedan929

I just finished installing a NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 for my GTX 1070 ASUS Refernce Card. After putting everything back in my system I got nervous like I always do after modifying or adding hardware, when I turned it on I got no display but in 8 seconds I heard the windows start up sound. 

So I kind of screwed up while installing the water cooler and didn’t use my brain. AT ALL! Since my desk is cluttered by monitors i had to setup my GPU on the ground which is carpet. So I lined my workspace up with old anti static bags while I sat on carpet and got to work. First thing I noticed was that when I took my backplate off part it was shiny as if a capacitor leaked. By now my warranty is already ruined thanks to the sticker on the screw on the heat sink bracket. So I continued... once I got the kraken on I followed the next step in the manual. It didn’t mention anything about over tightening so I kept on screwing the screws in, until I noticed the motherboard of the GPU was bending. So I immediately loosened it. And made sure pressure was even, and the bending was gone.

After installing the new modified GPU into the system I ran into the problem already mentioned. Obviously the fact that I worked on carpet could have ruined my GPU even though I didn’t hear or feel anything. 

Question time: 

1. Could the fan header on the GPU now having no fan plugged into it cause the GPU to not run? 

2. Should I try the oven repair?

3. Can I still do an RMA and pay the repair so I don’t have to face the overpriced GPU market?

4. Since my CPU is RYZEN I can’t boot via mobo GPU so should i try to use a different pci slot?

5. Any tips or ideas PLEASE give them to me!

Thanks! ~Aedan!

P.S. I followed the instruction manual completely and watched NZXTs video. And the shiny stuff also appeared on one of my old mother boards which died a while back where MSi confirmed it was a capacitor leak if that gives any ideas.

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQMvkT

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200

GTX 1070 Founders Edition ASUS

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2

Speed Link LEDOS RED (keeping it German!)

Some BOSE speakers.

VM Audio 1200 Watt Subwoofer Hooked up to Corsair CX750M

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

As you already know it was not the best possible way to do this. But lets asume its not the cause.

You tightened the screws until the PCB bent. That's a lot of force, but again lets say its normal for a PCB to curve on a non standar cooling solution.

Things that could go wrong:

Long screws. Maybe too long something got ripped of by them.

Still too much pressure on the GPU DIE. loosen it a bit more.

Something weird about plugging the water cooling in the GPU fan header, try your motherboard's. Should work, but who knows, give it a try.

Damage on the PCB, maybe a small resistence was ripped off in the dissasembly.

Dont panic, clear your desk, bring a VERY right light, way better if its natural light and take a veeeery long and thoughtfull look at your PCB. Take high resolution pictures of every possible angle or weirdness you may spot (if can). Post them here.  Ctrl+C  and Ctrl+v will do.

Maybe it will get solved before this.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, faziten said:

As you already know it was not the best possible way to do this. But lets asume its not the cause.

You tightened the screws until the PCB bent. That's a lot of force, but again lets say its normal for a PCB to curve on a non standar cooling solution.

Something weird about plugging the water cooling in the GPU fan header, try your motherboard's. Should work, but who knows, give it a try.

Dont panic, clear your desk, bring a VERY right light, way better if its natural light and take a veeeery long and thoughtfull look at your PCB. Take high resolution pictures of every possible angle or weirdness you may spot (if can). Post them here.  Ctrl+C  and Ctrl+v will do.

Cheers!

Ok! I will try this when I get back home. Thanks for the clear instructions. Btw I didn’t mention it well but my water cooler pump is connected to the motherboard already, no fan or pump is connected to GPU since it’s not a normal 3-4 header, it’s one that you would see for example in a prebuilt computer, like all my old Dells had the same fan header.

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

15 hours ago, faziten said:

Cheers!

With no luck loosening the screws I took some pictures and studied the GPU. I only noticed little thing but it seems weird that the lines running on the pcb are exactly in line with the possible damage.

242513E4-54E0-4789-83EA-F966BC24A819.jpeg

55F29CA4-8DC6-4E8C-A801-EFB57207CDEE.jpeg

B1BEB8C1-1010-4FF0-A79C-5E4F215864CC.jpegFor now I’ll probably but a GT 1030 and upgrade to a better cooled 1070 Ti down the road if the card is shot. I’m also gonna put the reference cooler back on to see if anything happens. I’ve had luck with situations similar to this putting stock stuff back on.

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

After putting the stock cooling system back together something interesting happened! While I turned my pc on the GPU fan moved but didn’t cycle a single rpm. Sad most definetly. I’m gonna attempt to send it in for RMA in a couple of days if no one responds. Thanks!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

image.png.dbf418fa51922dfef3f8a42430574070.png

This looks really bad. That soldering looks corroded and not soldered at all.

Try the RMA, but probably will need a third party on this.

8 hours ago, faziten said:

image.png.dbf418fa51922dfef3f8a42430574070.png

This looks really bad. That soldering looks corroded and not soldered at all.

Try the RMA, but probably will need a third party on this.

Ok thanks! That leads me to believe that this was gonna happen in the future I just made it happen quicker.

This card has good memories! I bought it the day they were released! 

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

when I get my GPU back (if I do) I’m gonna install the Kraken G12 this time, it looks more solid and the mounting solution is better. I am gonna take the risk again right when I get my GPU back since I don’t use my pc much anyways it’s not a big loss for a 2nd RMA in a month on the same card! ?

On on the other hand If ASUS says I need to get a whole new GPU I’ll probably just get a STRIX edition for better cooling! Thanks for all the help!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional