Boot problem after removing GPU

Siskofan

I recently ripped out my graphics card and switched to my Intel CPU's onboard graphics, and after I put my PC back and plugged everything back in, the system refuses to boot automatically. 

The system will boot without a hiccugh if I manually go into my boot menu and select the Windows Boot Manager on my SSD, but it refuses to do it automatically no matter what settings I fiddle with in the UEFI.

If I rearrange so the one of the WBMs I can see is at the top of the boot priority, I get sent into Windows recovery, that won't do anything but insist on a full reinstall. Something I know I don't need because I know my system is capable of booting up just fine.

The other WBM the UEFI shows just causes the same mesaage to pop up: "Reboot and select a proper boot device."

I'd prefer it if I didn't have to go into the boot menu each time I wanted to start up my pc. Also, my Windows 10 install is the only OS on my system.

2 minutes ago, Siskofan said:

I recently ripped out my graphics card and switched to my Intel CPU's onboard graphics, and after I put my PC back and plugged everything back in, the system refuses to boot automatically. 

The system will boot without a hiccugh if I manually go into my boot menu and select the Windows Boot Manager on my SSD, but it refuses to do it automatically no matter what settings I fiddle with in the UEFI.

If I rearrange so the one of the WBMs I can see is at the top of the boot priority, I get sent into Windows recovery, that won't do anything but insist on a full reinstall. Something I know I don't need because I know my system is capable of booting up just fine.

The other WBM the UEFI shows just causes the same mesaage to pop up: "Reboot and select a proper boot device."

I'd prefer it if I didn't have to go into the boot menu each time I wanted to start up my pc. Also, my Windows 10 install is the only OS on my system.

Just for troubleshooting, have you tried it again with the dedicated gpu? 

1 minute ago, MineParker101 said:

Just for troubleshooting, have you tried it again with the dedicated gpu? 

The thought hadn't occured to me. I really don't feel like putting it back in there only to take it out again (I'm doing it because it's hard to game on an igpu which means it won't distract me from school), so no.

I can't see how that would have caused the issue (though I suppose it is possible). I just assumed unplugging my machine so I could move it into a spot whereI could work on it and then plugging it back in caused an issue.

I could restall the card, but I won't have time to do it until Thursday at the earliest.

4 minutes ago, Siskofan said:

The thought hadn't occured to me. I really don't feel like putting it back in there only to take it out again (I'm doing it because it's hard to game on an igpu which means it won't distract me from school), so no.

I can't see how that would have caused the issue (though I suppose it is possible). I just assumed unplugging my machine so I could move it into a spot whereI could work on it and then plugging it back in caused an issue.

I could restall the card, but I won't have time to do it until Thursday at the earliest.

Yeah you probably have some bios settings to change (idk why it'd be due to removing the gpu) but instead of taking out a core component, next time maybe set up a separate (LOCAL) account that is only limited to school related programs (chrome, paint, etc) and only log into that when doing school work.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

5 minutes ago, Siskofan said:

I highly recommend doing so just to eliminate variables. Then you can move onto other steps.

6 minutes ago, Siskofan said:

Also, try resetting the bios settings to factory defaults, unless you have a RAID array set up. 

12 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Yeah you probably have some bios settings to change (idk why it'd be due to removing the gpu) but instead of taking out a core component, next time maybe set up a separate (LOCAL) account that is only limited to school related programs (chrome, paint, etc) and only log into that when doing school work.

I'd just be too tempted to use myregular account. Yes my self control isn't all that good... lol.

11 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

I highly recommend doing so just to eliminate variables. Then you can move onto other steps.

Can do. I'll report back when I give it a shot.

9 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

Also, try resetting the bios settings to factory defaults, unless you have a RAID array set up. 

I don't so that'll be the next thing I try if the reinstalling the GPU doesn't work.

Thanks again you guys. I'll report back here when I have a chance to try these out. 

Reporting in, reinstalling the graphics card changed nothing. The computer still refuses to boot automatically, but will still do it manually if I select the SSD as my boot device in the boot menu.