HELP! I think I shorted the motherboard!

Emile4141

I just got my first LED rgb strips from Logysis. I plugged it into my MSI Z270 gaming motherboard and they worked. They were stuck on a colour I didnt want though, and since they were plugged into the mother Board directly, the remote that came with it wouldn't work. 

I went to msi gaming app on my pc and went to chabge the colour of the motherboard leds, thinking it would change the rgb strip as well. I hit apply, heard a little pop and saw some first coming from the board, where I connected the ran strip. Fire went down, and the computer still ran but I immediately turned it off.

After turning it back on, all the fans worked and the lights turned on, but my screen was black.

Any help is appreciated, I'm panicking right now.

Pics of the damaged zone ?

If there was any flame or charred components on anything do not plug anything in. If there was a fire on the board most likely your components are fried as well. Any electronics that shorted or could have been shorted I classify as unusable and you should dispose of it. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

If there was any flame or charred components on anything do not plug anything in. If there was a fire on the board most likely your components are fried as well. Any electronics that shorted or could have been shorted I classify as unusable and you should dispose of it. 

Caps are usually the first to go

39 minutes ago, Emile4141 said:

I just got my first LED rgb strips from Logysis. I plugged it into my MSI Z270 gaming motherboard and they worked. They were stuck on a colour I didnt want though, and since they were plugged into the mother Board directly, the remote that came with it wouldn't work. 

I went to msi gaming app on my pc and went to chabge the colour of the motherboard leds, thinking it would change the rgb strip as well. I hit apply, heard a little pop and saw some first coming from the board, where I connected the ran strip. Fire went down, and the computer still ran but I immediately turned it off.

After turning it back on, all the fans worked and the lights turned on, but my screen was black.

Any help is appreciated, I'm panicking right now.

I would recommend taking it to a local repair shop to see what the problem is, its most likely just an issue with the screen and you can get replacements for around 70-80 dollars 

Were the LEDs plugged to correct header and were they compatible with your mobo to begin with? It sounds like the two connectors weren't matching and probably there was too much power drawn or supplied.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think I figured out the problem, I created a current loop and shorted the connection. It was connected to the right header because I had used the manual and it said to put the ran 4 pin there. I ended up turning it on a few hours later and it worked great.

I then turned it off and on again and nothing would post to the screen. The fans were on, lit up and running, but the screen said no input. My mouse and keyboard weren't lighting up so I assumed they were getting no power as well. Not sure what this new issue is, I'm going to turn it on again in a few hours to see if it is the power supply. It is a rather small supply for the components I think.

Pc components are as follows

Intel core i7-7700k cpu

MSI Z-270 Gaming motherboard

Gigabyte 1070 you

16Gb (2x8) of gskill ddr4 2800 ram

500w corsair psu

15 hours ago, KnightHawk1401 said:

I would recommend taking it to a local repair shop to see what the problem is, its most likely just an issue with the screen and you can get replacements for around 70-80 dollars 

Fire was coming from the PC/motherboard. I doubt the screen is the issue. ;)

Fire is never good. I'd suggest taking photos of the motherboard. As it does not boot, I'd assume dead motherboard (thought Power supply issues do give similar problems). Hopefully other components have survived.

9 hours ago, Emile4141 said:

I think I figured out the problem, I created a current loop and shorted the connection. It was connected to the right header because I had used the manual and it said to put the ran 4 pin there. I ended up turning it on a few hours later and it worked great.

I then turned it off and on again and nothing would post to the screen. The fans were on, lit up and running, but the screen said no input. My mouse and keyboard weren't lighting up so I assumed they were getting no power as well. Not sure what this new issue is, I'm going to turn it on again in a few hours to see if it is the power supply. It is a rather small supply for the components I think.

Pc components are as follows

Intel core i7-7700k cpu

MSI Z-270 Gaming motherboard

Gigabyte 1070 you

16Gb (2x8) of gskill ddr4 2800 ram

500w corsair psu

Seriously, get a picture of the area where this fire happened and post it here ASAP. Unplug this system and stop turning it on immediately. This could be a serious fire hazard. With that said, it could just be a blown capacitor or something else that could be repaired. It could be lots of things. Get us a picture of the damage so we can help you. Otherwise, we're just guessing.

15 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Seriously, get a picture of the area where this fire happened and post it here ASAP. Unplug this system and stop turning it on immediately. This could be a serious fire hazard. With that said, it could just be a blown capacitor or something else that could be repaired. It could be lots of things. Get us a picture of the damage so we can help you. Otherwise, we're just guessing.

Capture+_2018-02-21-11-12-29.png

4 minutes ago, Emile4141 said:

Capture+_2018-02-21-11-12-29.png

That's burnt PCB. Best case scenario, you need to replace the motherboard.

Sorry, but I don't have good news for you.

You can't keep using that motherboard.

You need to replace it and we can't rule out other components being destroyed either. 

Check them for damage as well.

If you keep using this mobo, other components will be destroyed in the long run so stop immediately.

If that motherboard is fairly new, write the manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

Just say it did this all of a sudden though. Don't give them too many details about this RBG header business because they'll just use that as an excuse to deny the replacement.

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

That's burnt PCB. Best case scenario, you need to replace the motherboard.

Sorry, but I don't have good news for you.

You can't keep using that motherboard.

You need to replace it and we can't rule out other components being destroyed either. 

Check them for damage as well.

If you keep using this mobo, other components will be destroyed in the long run so stop immediately.

If that motherboard is fairly new, write the manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

Just say it did this all of a sudden though. Don't give them too many details about this RBG header business because they'll just use that as an excuse to deny the replacement.

I emailed msi support. How would I check other components for damage? I don't see any physical burning or anything on them

14 minutes ago, Emile4141 said:

I emailed msi support. How would I check other components for damage? I don't see any physical burning or anything on them

Do you have another pc to test them or does someone you know have one?

2 hours ago, Noobie22 said:

Do you have another pc to test them or does someone you know have one?

Yes my brother has a fully functioning pc. Which components should I test?

15 hours ago, Emile4141 said:

Yes my brother has a fully functioning pc. Which components should I test?

Everything except mobo

Disclaimer: I dont take any responsibility of your components, since your harmed motherboard could have damaged other components.