Psu making noise when pc is off.

DeagleMaster
Just now, DeagleMaster69 said:

How can there be coil whine when the pc is off?

Power supply always works when it is plugged into the socket. The 5V rail is in use to be exact. It's what let's you have your USB components work even if PC is off and charges the CMOS battery so that you can turn the PC on in the first place. After all, that button needs to send an electrical signal somehow.

It is unfortunate that you have that, but it's unlikely something to worry about. Unless the noise is too much to handle.

6 minutes ago, NMS said:

Power supply always works when it is plugged into the socket. The 5V rail is in use to be exact. It's what let's you have your USB components work even if PC is off and charges the CMOS battery so that you can turn the PC on in the first place. After all, that button needs to send an electrical signal somehow.

It is unfortunate that you have that, but it's unlikely something to worry about. Unless the noise is too much to handle.

It's not, but it's allways there. Even after not using my pc for 12 hours.

2 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

It's not, but it's allways there. Even after not using my pc for 12 hours.

Do you mean when it's not plugged into the building socket (110V or 220V)? If so, then like I said earlier, PSUs hold charge over time and need to be unplugged for some time to fully discharge, but that always depends on the model. Anything from few hours to days.

25 minutes ago, NMS said:

Do you mean when it's not plugged into the building socket (110V or 220V)? If so, then like I said earlier, PSUs hold charge over time and need to be unplugged for some time to fully discharge, but that always depends on the model. Anything from few hours to days.

No it's plugged in and the power switch is on, but there is no power running trough the usb ports. Can it still be the things you said?

37 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

No it's plugged in and the power switch is on, but there is no power running trough the usb ports. Can it still be the things you said?

Yes. Absolutely 100%.

3 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

So I shouldn't worry?

No. You can try and RMA it if the noise is too loud too handle 24/7, but that's unlikely to happen.

7 hours ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

When I say off I mean the psu makes a hissing sound when I turned the pc off. In windows I hit shut off. I just need to know if this can damage my pc? Or if it can indicate a faulty psu?

7 hours ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Like I said... BECAUSE THE PC ISN'T "OFF".

When you tell Windows to shut down your PC, it really only goes to "standby".  The PSU is still on.  It's still delivering power to your motherboard.  Not just power to your USB ports, but also ICs on the motherboard itself.

The PSU is only actually fully off when the switch on the back of the PSU is flipped.

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2018 at 10:59 AM, DeagleMaster69 said:

If your pc is completely off which means that you've flipped the psu's switch then there shouldn't be coil whine and you potentially have a problem. If you just shut down your pc then it is coil while and the noise might stop if you charge a device before shutting down the pc and while it has shut down (s2/s3 state). The solution to this is either to flip the switch every time you shut down your pc (shut it down first then slip the switch obviously) or change the s2/s3 state to s5 so all power is off when you shut down your pc.