Psu making noise when pc is off.

DeagleMaster

My new corsair rm750x psu is making a low electrical buzzing noise when my pc is turned off. Is this dangerous? Can this mean that my psu is damaged?

Im not sure what it could mean but its probably not good, I would get it checked out if possible.

Im not sure what this signature thing is but it could use some RG

5 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

My new corsair rm750x psu is making a low electrical buzzing noise when my pc is turned off. Is this dangerous? Can this mean that my psu is damaged?

how long does it last?

3 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Its constent

CONSTANT is the correct spelling

Then something with the psu is damaged.

Unplug it and see if the noise continues.

Plug it back in and check.

Unplug it again and wait for awhile, then open up the psu and see if there is anything visually wrong.

Whats happened is perhaps a component like a capacitor has puffed and shorted out perhaps, or maybe you've blown a resistor. But maybe, depending on the actual noise of the psu, it is 100% normal.

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Unplug it again and wait for awhile, then open up the psu and see if there is anything visually wrong.

Whats happened is perhaps a component like a capacitor has puffed and shorted out perhaps, or maybe you've blown a resistor. But maybe, depending on the actual noise of the psu, it is 100% normal.

No dont open the PSU! That is dangereus and because he says "My new corsair rm750x psu "  it means it still has warranty, but after opening it wont have any. Just return the PSU and exchange it for a another.

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Please note that opening your PSU will void your warranty, and I would strongly suggest against opening it. Do this at your own discretion.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Do not open your PSU, one being it's dangerous, two being it will void your warranty, three being it does nothing.

Your PSU is fine, don't worry about it. If it's unbearably loud, maybe discuss with a corsair rep about RMA'ing before attempting an RMA.

12 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

You seem to have absolutely no knowledge on the topic, please stop suggesting others to potentially kill themselves. 

:)

7 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Do not open your PSU, one being it's dangerous, two being it will void your warranty, three being it does nothing.

Your PSU is fine, don't worry about it. If it's unbearably loud, maybe discuss with a corsair rep about RMA'ing before attempting an RMA.

Im just afraid that if the psu is foulty it will kill some outher components. 

1 minute ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Im just afraid that if the psu is foulty it will kill some outher components. 

It's coil whine, absolutely not an issue. 

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's coil whine, absolutely not an issue. 

When the pc is off?

15 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

When the pc is off?

Yes. Same happens on both of my phone chargers (the ones that came with the phones). 

Edit: Should also mention that the PSU has a 5V standby rail that is used when the system is powered off. It can power things like USB devices

Edited by seon123
Something something

If motherboard power state is set to certain options like usb charging enabled (s2/s3) is on then yes it is possible.

S5 state in bios will cut all power if I'm not mistaking

21 minutes ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

When the pc is off?

When the PC is off, the PSU is still on.  And there's still a load on the +5VSB.  The +5VSB is live and supplying power any time the PSU is plugged in, even if the PC is off.  It's called "standby".

There's nothing wrong with your PSU.  It's fine. 

12 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

When the PC is off, the PSU is still on.  And there's still a load on the +5VSB.  The +5VSB is live and supplying power any time the PSU is plugged in, even if the PC is off.  It's called "standby".

There's nothing wrong with your PSU.  It's fine. 

Ok. You might remember my last post about the fuse. Well before that I didn't hear any buzzing sound (at least the one time I listened to it before the fuse thing.) Also when I turned the psu off the sound cept going for about 2 seconds. Also my room where the fuse thing happend has 10 amps. My old evga 750gq didn't do anything to the fuse. Why? I would really appreciate help. I have some serious issues with anxiety and these problems doesn't help.

2 seconds.. And then whatever was loading the +5VSB drained the bulk caps and there was no power left to create any buzzing sound. 

When you had the BQ PSU, was it the exact same build in the same room? 

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

2 seconds.. And then whatever was loading the +5VSB drained the bulk caps and there was no power left to create any buzzing sound. 

When you had the BQ PSU, was it the exact same build in the same room? 

Yes and the buzzing sound is seemingly allways there. And there is no power in my USB ports when the PC is off

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

You seem to have absolutely no knowledge on the topic, please stop suggesting others to potentially kill themselves. 

I have way more knowledge then you!

You'd simply turn off the pc, turn off the psu, unplug, let it sit for a bit, open it up and visually inspect for any signs.

I have worked on server psu's, I have modified psu's for charging batteries, I have repaired psu's. The latest troubleshooting and repair was for a high wattage balance charger. My Meanwell psu's are loud when in use, but not as loud as say a 2400W server psu when in use. Those are like 747's taking off. But when they are just sitting idle, no noise at all.

2 hours ago, DeagleMaster69 said:

Yes and the buzzing sound is seemingly allways there. And there is no power in my USB ports when the PC is off

When you say "off", are you talking about "soft off" or did you actually flip the switch on the back of the PSU?

Regardless of USB ports having power or not (which is dictated by the motherboard), the motherboard itself is using standby power whenever the PC is "off" ("on", but in standby).

Since you've posted two threads complaining about your PSU within the last 24 hours, seems like you're going to have a never waning case of buyers remorse.  Just return the PSU and call it a day.  Seems to me you'll never be happy until you do.

16 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

When you say "off",

Oh who knows

Without actually being there or a video of it, no one knows.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

When you say "off", are you talking about "soft off" or did you actually flip the switch on the back of the PSU?

Regardless of USB ports having power or not (which is dictated by the motherboard), the motherboard itself is using standby power whenever the PC is "off" ("on", but in standby).

Since you've posted two threads complaining about your PSU within the last 24 hours, seems like you're going to have a never waning case of buyers remorse.  Just return the PSU and call it a day.  Seems to me you'll never be happy until you do.

When I say off I mean the psu makes a hissing sound when I turned the pc off. In windows I hit shut off. I just need to know if this can damage my pc? Or if it can indicate a faulty psu?

10 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I have way more knowledge then you!

You'd simply turn off the pc, turn off the psu, unplug, let it sit for a bit, open it up and visually inspect for any signs.

I have worked on server psu's, I have modified psu's for charging batteries, I have repaired psu's. The latest troubleshooting and repair was for a high wattage balance charger. My Meanwell psu's are loud when in use, but not as loud as say a 2400W server psu when in use. Those are like 747's taking off. But when they are just sitting idle, no noise at all.

For someone who likes correcting grammar you sure love missspelling words yourself.

And if you had knowledge on the topic, the first thing you would say is to wait at least 48 hours (maybe less these days) before even attempting opening one as capacitors still hold charge over time. And yes that's with the drain resistor that discharges them once plugged off. Furthermore, where's the disclaimer regarding the possibility of death (unlikely but that depends on the location) if not careful?

@DeagleMaster69 DO NOT OPEN YOUR PSU! If the noise is too much to handle, then RMA it. I'm sure if you provide a recording sample to Corsair they'll come to their senses. But as others have pointed, it is nothing more but a coil whine and nothing to worry about.

8 minutes ago, NMS said:

For someone who likes correcting grammar you sure love missspelling words yourself.

And if you had knowledge on the topic, the first thing you would say is to wait at least 48 hours (maybe less these days) before even attempting opening one as capacitors still hold charge over time. And yes that's with the drain resistor that discharges them once plugged off. Furthermore, where's the disclaimer regarding the possibility of death (unlikely but that depends on the location) if not careful?

@DeagleMaster69 DO NOT OPEN YOUR PSU! If the noise is too much to handle, then RMA it. I'm sure if you provide a recording sample to Corsair they'll come to their senses. But as others have pointed, it is nothing more but a coil whine and nothing to worry about.

How can there be coil whine when the pc is off?