Tips for better GPU cooling?

Wolfca

So, I have a Ryzen 7 1700x and a Vega 56 (blower style) in a NZXT s340 case. Of course, the Vega 56 runs super hot. I'm trying to find the best ways to mitigate that. The 1700x is attached to a 120mm AiO. My current cooling configuration includes 3 Noctua NF-F12s and one NF-F14. So far, I've arranged them so that I have the AiO with one of the F-12s on the rear, a F12 on top, and the last F12 and the F14 o the front. I stuck the F14 on the bottom to provide better airflow for the GPU. I'm hoping that this gets me some positive pressure, since I have a 120 and 140mm fan in front, and a 120mm rad and 120mm exhaust on top (in addition to the blower cooler).

However, the vega still runs pretty hot. My questions are as follows:

-Is that an ideal fan position for GPU temps? I used to have the 140mm on top and the rad in the front, but moved them to help GPU cooling.

-I currently keep my case under my desk, which has a closed back. I can move it next to my desk for better overall airflow-would that help or be negligible?

-I have a carpet floor near my setup. I have a little bit of shelf liner that I put under the PC to allow airflow for my PSU. Does this actually matter?

-Would upgrading to more 140mm fans help considerably? I already have my 140mm in the only position that blows on the GPU.

-Does anyone have any other tips that might help my GPU temps? I'd love to tease some extra performance out of it. (No. I'm not making a custom loop for it)

My PC:

O11 Dynamic | Ryzen 2600 | Vega 56 | EK Fluidgaming | Crosshair VI Hero | 16GB DDR4 3000 | CoolerMaster v750 | LG 27GN950 | Beyerdynamic DT 990

1 minute ago, Wolfca said:

-Does anyone have any other tips that might help my GPU temps? I'd love to tease some extra performance out of it. (No. I'm not making a custom loop for it)

You could try reapplying the thermal compound or looking around for a better cooler that's compatible with the card. IIRC, AMD reference cards run really hot even for blower style coolers.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

welp, reference coolers are sadly just very underperforming coolers in general. you could always get a bracket and another 120mm AIO, but as far as more airflow pulling the rig out from under your desk seems like the only thing you could do.

13 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Pull it out of the desk if there is a chance it's breathing it's own exhaust.

I pulled it out and started running Heaven. Looks like max temp is dropping from ~80C to ~75C. Still a little higher than I'd like with this under clocking, but it's a start -.-

My PC:

O11 Dynamic | Ryzen 2600 | Vega 56 | EK Fluidgaming | Crosshair VI Hero | 16GB DDR4 3000 | CoolerMaster v750 | LG 27GN950 | Beyerdynamic DT 990

replace the thermal compound

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

well I can tell you what happened to me personally, I have 2 Galactic Empire Titan Xp's they where running in the hollow shell (stripped down frame) of my first computer tower from 16ish years ago, I moved the computer into a Meshify C case with 3 Corsair ML120 fans in the front and my CPU AIO in the top, I dropped 10c off my GPU core temps at the same GPU fan speed I used for my mining profile (note this was at like 70%ish power limit and 60-70% fan speed on the GPU), so blasting a couple hundred CFM a minute at them helps bring temps down.

3 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

Replacing the cooler will help. As far as i know the NZXT G12 are not vega compatible. Also the Arctic product line does not work. Zip tie the AIO and glue heatsink for the vrm (or the artic backplate without glue [is not perfect]) will work.

RIP aesthetics. 

My PC: