OS for home server

cfrozer

Whats a good OS for a home server? I got a desktop with a dualcore on it would like to use it for file storage and some media playback, would windows 8.1 work? (what it came with) if not i could use another free home server os

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

FreeNAS and FreeBSD are pretty good options. They support Samba for sharing files to other Windows computers, NFS for Linux and Mac computers, ZFS for a good file system to store everything in, and Empy/Plex for streaming media. 

2 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

FreeNAS and FreeBSD are pretty good options. They support Samba for sharing files to other Windows computers, NFS for Linux and Mac computers, ZFS for a good file system to store everything in, and Empy/Plex for streaming media. 

Great! are they easy to setup/ manage?

i7-7700k @4.8GHz

Asus Maxmius IX hero

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW 3

850w EVGA PSU

32GB corsair LPX ddr4 ram 

Just now, That-Something_ said:

FreeNAS is pretty intuitive, FreeBSD definitely is not if you're not familiar with it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

45 minutes ago, That-Something_ said:

FreeNAS is what I'd go for. It's very easy to use. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

On 2/15/2018 at 3:20 AM, That-Something_ said:

Whats a good OS for a home server? I got a desktop with a dualcore on it would like to use it for file storage and some media playback, would windows 8.1 work? (what it came with) if not i could use another free home server os

As other people have said - Freenas is excellent. The setup is extremely intuitive, but I will warn you - the more you want to with it, the harder it is to do almost exponentially. Setting up the plugins was surprisingly annoying for me. I kept getting errors and it took me a few hours to get everything fixed.

also, keep in mind you want a lot of ram for freenas, specifically due to ZFS using a lot for caching and stuff. So your RAM requirements will scale with the amount of storage you want to have as well as how many jails you’re running. If you have just Plex and a 4TB or less raid array, then you should be just fine with 8gb. Don’t ever go lower than 8gb, you will run into major tranfer speed issues and even 8gb is pushing it just a little.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 9:20 AM, That-Something_ said:

if you use freenas you will need roughly 1gb of ram per tb as seen in pauls hardware htpc video

Just now, digitaldoughnut said:

if you use freenas you will need roughly 1gb of ram per tb as seen in pauls hardware htpc video

That’s excessive. It’s been proven that it’s not necessary unless you’re using really fast networking (from what I’ve heard and experienced). 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

You can install FreeNAS on a flash drive and mess around with it. As long as you don't start mounting your drives you can just remove the USB stick and go back to your already installed Windows OS. Also learn from someone that made the mistake and do yourself a big favor...use a GOOD quality flash drive! (doesn't have to be expensive I just mean not the free or $1 no name flash drives)

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler