Help please, CPU overheating very badly

Hi, thanks for looking.

Desperate for some advice. Recently upgraded i5 6600k to a 6700k.

Had nothing but crashes, couldn't post. Errors about ram not working etc etc etc.

Spat the dummy out. Sold my i5, returned i7 and chucked mobo.

Bought a new Asus maximus X hero and an i7 8700k. Installed all the rest of existing components. Including Corsair h100i cooler

Reinstalled windows etc. Worked a charm.

Only issue was temps were 30-40 idle and 65-75 gaming.

Got a bit concerned they were too high. So I bought 2 ml120 fans for cooler. And bought different paste.

Tonight I installed new paste and put new fans on cooler. Instead of using coolers fan splitter, I plugged them straight into mobo. And plugged cooler into CPU fan header instead of aio header.

Boot up pc. And fans went mad. Temp started about 30c and continued rising up to about 80-90 within a minute. So I switched off.

I reseated cooler with more paste etc. Put fans back as they were. Still the same issue. I'm honestly tearing my hair out.

Have I done something wrong or is it likely my cooler is faulty?

It was showing as running 2500rpm in Corsair link

The fans collected to the motherboard aren't being used as cpu fans? You could just change their fan curves in the bios.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

The fans collected to the motherboard aren't being used as cpu fans? You could just change their fan curves in the bios.

I've checked curves, I usually set to silent, and they kick it up a bit when getting hotter. But they are all full pelt within 10-15 secs, but CPU is nearing 90c within a minute

2 minutes ago, darkstar3 said:

I've checked curves, I usually set to silent, and they kick it up a bit when getting hotter. But they are all full pelt within 10-15 secs, but CPU is nearing 90c within a minute

Check contact with the cpu, make sure fans are physically spinning and that you didn't forget to tighten it down.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Could the cooler itself be dead? As in the pump isn't working?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Check contact with the cpu, make sure fans are physically spinning and that you didn't forget to tighten it down.

Cooler is definitely tightened down, fans are all spinning. I've disconnected everything and reconnected 3 times now

How did you connect the h100i? Can you give us all your connections to the mobo including fans, usb, etc? This may seem like a silly question but you are giving the pump power?

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Could the cooler itself be dead? As in the pump isn't working?

I'm not sure, I don't know how to tell. Corsair link says it's going 2500rpm. But I don't know if it's just telling it to work. But may be faulty

you could at least monitor the voltages, the temps make sense under load if it was running at 1.35v on a 8700k that's not delidded.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

6 minutes ago, Heroic Burrito said:

How did you connect the h100i? Can you give us all your connections to the mobo including fans, usb, etc?

Originally I had it in aio header with sp120 fans plugged into splitter. I've added ml120 fans straight to mobo, I've tried booting with cooler plugged into aio still and also cpu_fan headers

I've also plugged old fans back into splitter, in case they are needed.

2 minutes ago, xg32 said:

you could at least monitor the voltages, the temps make sense under load if it was running at 1.35v on a 8700k that's not delidded.

Can't remember voltages. But it's not over locked in anyway, I'm sure it's 1.1xxx.

Like I say, when first switched on its around 30c. But just constantly heats until I turn it off

I'm guessing cooler isn't cooling it. But I don't know is if any of you know any sure fire way of knowing cooler has failed?

2 minutes ago, darkstar3 said:

Originally I had it in aio header with sp120 fans plugged into splitter. I've added ml120 fans straight to mobo, I've tried booting with cooler plugged into aio still and also cpu_fan headers

I've also plugged old fans back into splitter, in case they are needed.

Can't remember voltages. But it's not over locked in anyway, I'm sure it's 1.1xxx.

Like I say, when first switched on its around 30c. But just constantly heats until I turn it off

I'm guessing cooler isn't cooling it. But I don't know is if any of you know any sure fire way of knowing cooler has failed?

It may be a bad pump. Make sure you are giving the pump power, if so it very well could be failing pump.

3 minutes ago, Heroic Burrito said:

It may be a bad pump. Make sure you are giving the pump power, if so it very well could be failing pump.

I've had pump plugged into different headers, the led lights up on it as well. Corsair link acknowledges it. I'm assuming I've connected it properly. Is there no sure fire way to tell whether it's cooling or not?

1 minute ago, darkstar3 said:

I've had pump plugged into different headers, the led lights up on it as well. Corsair link acknowledges it. I'm assuming I've connected it properly. Is there no sure fire way to tell whether it's cooling or not?

Can you feel waterflow through the tubing? Physically feel it and see if you can tell if water is flowing.

2 minutes ago, Heroic Burrito said:

Can you feel waterflow through the tubing? Physically feel it and see if you can tell if water is flowing.

Not really tbh. But I've never felt it before to know the difference

3 minutes ago, darkstar3 said:

Not really tbh. But I've never felt it before to know the difference

If I was in your position I would find a friend who would be amazingly kind and let me borrow their air cooler to see if the temps change. If the air cooler works I would RMA the h100i. If this isn't an option I would go ahead and RMA the h100i.

5 minutes ago, Heroic Burrito said:

If I was in your position I would find a friend who would be amazingly kind and let me borrow their air cooler to see if the temps change. If the air cooler works I would RMA the h100i. If this isn't an option I would go ahead and RMA the h100i.

Thanks

For anyone who may come across this post. I'm 99% sure the cooler was goosed. I've just installed a h150i pro and all working fine now. Temps lower than before as well.

So all good. Thanks all for suggestions