Convert laptop monitor as HDMI input?

cyborgchef

I want to be able to plug in my Nintendo Switch using HDMI into my laptop monitor. I know that laptop monitors don't accept HDMI in and are only output ports. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 2 Pro that I use for university and when I'm on break, I want to use it as a display that is powered by my laptop battery. I know this is difficult and may be impossible as I can't find anything online of other people attempting this. Is there anything I can do? I'm not afraid to open my laptop. I was thinking if there is a controller board I can use or something else I may not know about. I still want to be able to use my laptop for university and work, just be able to also to use my monitor as an HDMI input. 

it would be faster , easier , and cheaper to just buy an old monitor at goodwill or a pawn shop that actually has hdmi.

even if you gave the laptop to ben heck the amount of work to build a controller so the monitor accepts hdmi inputs and still works as a laptop is just stupidly complex for something that already exists.

Just now, emosun said:

it would be faster , easier , and cheaper to just buy an old monitor at goodwill or a pawn shop that actually has hdmi.

even if you gave the laptop to ben heck the amount of work to build a controller so the monitor accepts hdmi inputs and still works as a laptop is just stupidly complex for something that already exists.

I agree it would be much easier and faster, but some good quality 1080p portable monitors are expensive (around $200-$250). The reason for wanting to use my laptop is that I already carry my laptop with me to university everyday and wouldn't want to carry another item with me. I also want to show off to my friends and I think it would be a cool learning experience as I love learning about electronics 

the..... switch has it's own monitor on it. so that's a possiblity

short of using hdmi capture cards or tuners it ain't going to happen. Nobody here is going to redesign your laptop. so either some sort of capture card or just used the monitor that the switch already has which is already portable....