Figuring out ARC on my new TV

Tcrumpen

I'm getting a new TV that i will also be using as a monitor for my machine (I don't have enough physical space for a separate TV and Monitor), the TV is linked below

https://goo.gl/b43Bw6

After looking at the spec's on the manufactures website states that one of it's HDMI slots (It only has 2 HDMI slots and no other input slots) has ARC (Audio Return Channel), i know the concept of it but i'm trying to work out if that would help me de-clutter my desk in terms of cables

As i currently have 2 devices using my 5.1 sound system which only has 1 optical input and 1 HDMI output could i hookup my TV and and my computer to the sound system without having to use my current setup which i'll detail below

Optical Out from my computer motherboard > 3 way optical switch > Optical Input of sound system

Optical Output from my TV > same 3 way optical switch > Optical Input of sound system

HDMI from Graphics card into HDMI in TV for use as a monitor

HDMI Output from sound system into HDMI for TV (It has a built in blu-ray player)

If you're using ARC, you won't need to use the optical audio. The TV can send the audio through ARC to your sound system. Same as if you had cable on, the sound can also be sent to the sound system. I have a relatively similar setup, minus the PC. But the ARC slows my cable, PS4 and any additional device I set up the ability play audio on the sound system.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If you're using ARC, you won't need to use the optical audio. The TV can send the audio through ARC to your sound system. Same as if you had cable on, the sound can also be sent to the sound system. I have a relatively similar setup, minus the PC. But the ARC slows my cable, PS4 and any additional device I set up the ability play audio on the sound system.

You might need to talk me through a bit i'm struggling to figure out how; as my sound system only has HDMI Output not input wouldn't that mean i couldn't use ARC?

4 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

You might need to talk me through a bit i'm struggling to figure out how; as my sound system only has HDMI Output not input wouldn't that mean i couldn't use ARC?

The TV is set up with the sound system. From ARC on the TV to the sound system. Plug the PC into any other HDMI on the TV and turn it on.

You'll also need to turn on the sound system and have it set to TV (or whatever the default audio source is for it's ARC. On my Sony, it's TV source).

TV input is set to whatever the PC is on, and Bam. That's pretty much it. The TV by default should play sound booth on it's native speakers as well as sent through ARC to the sound system.

You can go into the options and force all audio output too the sound system, or just turn down the sound on the TV itself.

The sound system will receive all audio through ARC from whatever input the TV is set on.

The TV is set up with the sound system. From ARC on the TV to the sound system. Plug the PC into any other HDMI on the TV and turn it on.

You'll also need to turn on the sound system and have it set to TV (or whatever the default audio source is for it's ARC. On my Sony, it's TV source).

TV input is set to whatever the PC is on, and Bam. That's pretty much it. The TV by default should play sound booth on it's native speakers as well as sent through ARC to the sound system.

You can go into the options and force all audio output too the sound system, or just turn down the sound on the TV itself.

The sound system will receive all audio through ARC from whatever input the TV is set on.

So i wouldn't even need to use a Optical cable from my TV into the sound system? If that's the case this will be my mini saving grace

6 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

So i wouldn't even need to use a Optical cable from my TV into the sound system? If that's the case this will be my mini saving grace

No, not at all. If you wanted to, you can, but the GPU will send the sound through HDMI, TV will relay it through HDMI via ARC to the sound system. You can do optical if you want, but would have to tell the TV to output audio through optical audio.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

No, not at all. If you wanted to, you can, but the GPU will send the sound through HDMI, TV will relay it through HDMI via ARC to the sound system. You can do optical if you want, but would have to tell the TV to output audio through optical audio.

Well if i do purchase that TV it'll be a mini godsend i mean the cables aren't that bad but simplicity is better than spaghetti junction cables

12 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

Well if i do purchase that TV it'll be a mini godsend i mean the cables aren't that bad but simplicity is better than spaghetti junction cables

Agreed. Same here. Used an optical cable for my old PS3 veggie, and it sucks. Not really easy to cable manage due to its lack of flexibility.

Cable management FTW.

Agreed. Same here. Used an optical cable for my old PS3 veggie, and it sucks. Not really easy to cable manage due to its lack of flexibility.

Cable management FTW.

Plus also my 5.1 Sound system all have individual speaker cables going into the main box, you can just imagine what it looks like behind my desk