D5 pump troubleshooting

Tehese
Go to solution Solved by Tehese,
3 hours ago, For Science! said:

Can't quite see from the pictures, but are you using the correct outlet port on your pump top?

d5-pump-top-ports-web.png

Holy crap I’m not! 

Hi there, new to here, however needing some help.  Currently am using a d5 pump and it’s not pumping. The reservoir spins and I can see the liquid spinning, however it’s not pumping. Any tips would be suggested first time builder. 

E4E43D48-AD61-4CB1-9F4E-897432A08024.jpeg

I think you need to make sure there is liquid in the pump itself. Try to get rid of the air in the lines, specifically between the rad and pump.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

I can't really understand your loop from the picture, mind writing the order down? Also you seem to have some liquid that pumped up, am I right to think it worked at some point for a little while?

31 minutes ago, Tehese said:

Hi there, new to here, however needing some help.  Currently am using a d5 pump and it’s not pumping. The reservoir spins and I can see the liquid spinning, however it’s not pumping. Any tips would be suggested first time builder. 

1 hour ago, Tehese said:

E4E43D48-AD61-4CB1-9F4E-897432A08024.jpeg

Sure! The loop is from pump -> gpu -> cpu -> rad-> rad-> Res. Very bottom tube is where the pump is connected. On the back side there’s a tube going from bottom of rad to top of tube. Th liquid you see is from me tilting and turning. When I originally turned it on, the liquid got up for the gpu and couldn’t get to the cpu. Allow me to get a few better pics

E9F39F0C-1704-4427-8F3F-B16155C4AFBA.jpeg

3837BA77-4583-4D26-A240-EE6B15924E08.jpeg

CFE1C934-0BB2-49CA-8A75-18CB4D9AD460.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Tehese said:

Sure! The loop is from pump -> gpu -> cpu -> rad-> rad-> Res. Very bottom tube is where the pump is connected. On the back side there’s a tube going from bottom of rad to top of tube. Th liquid you see is from me tilting and turning. When I originally turned it on, the liquid got up for the gpu and couldn’t get to the cpu. Allow me to get a few better pics

Some further questions:

Which pump top is that? and how are you powering your pump? Can you hear the pump whirring/buzzing when you power it?

Pump top is a protium d5 pump top, I can hear it whirling/ see it. Testing the voltage it’s getting 12v 

image.jpg

If you have a tube attached on the inside of the res where the inlet is coming from the last rad, open the res and ensure the pump is on max. Which means unplugging the pwn cable for that unless you just have the dial on the back of the pump.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

If you have a tube attached on the inside of the res where the inlet is coming from the last rad, open the res and ensure the pump is on max. Which means unplugging the pwn cable for that unless you just have the dial on the back of the pump.

There’s a tube that’s inside the res where the inlet is coming into. There’s a dial on the bottom. It’s turned onto max have tried turning it the other way. This is my 2nd pump so I don’t think the problem is faulty pumps. However I’m knew would it be a good idea to leave the top open and run it overnight. This is my first build, new to this stuff so any begginers tips, ext will help! 

Should only take a few seconds to fill the loop. I’d only leave it over night once that it done. And when the res and loop are full don’t turn off the pump with that cap open. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

So don’t leave it overnight till it’s working? If so anymore troubleshooting tips? 

Tilt the case. Ensure the res is full and capped  before doing so. Doing it in each direction should be enough. Once it starts it should be fine. 

With the cap off you could cover it with your finger and release it periodically. Judging how the loop is ran that may help the best. 

10 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Tilt the case. Ensure the res is full and capped  before doing so. Doing it in each direction should be enough. Once it starts it should be fine. 

With the cap off you could cover it with your finger and release it periodically. Judging how the loop is ran that may help the best. 

Do this while it’s running correct? 

13 minutes ago, Tehese said:

Do this while it’s running correct? 

Yes. 

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yes. 

Sounds good! I’ll let you know how it goes tommorow

4 hours ago, Tehese said:

Sounds good! I’ll let you know how it goes tommorow

Can't quite see from the pictures, but are you using the correct outlet port on your pump top?

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

Holy crap I’m not! 

24 minutes ago, Tehese said:

Holy crap I’m not! 

Yeah that'll do it :P

Given that your pump is whirring, I suspected it was pushing up against a wall which would be the only explanation for the res water spinning but no flow.