Looking for nice sounding, over-ear earbuds.

PackYourBaggins

So I'm not really a fan of headphones anymore cause I prefer the comfortability of earbuds and I'm looking for some that sound good, but ones that will also hang onto my ears. In-ear earbuds never stay in, so over-ear is a must. I will not only use these when I'm out listening on my phone, but I will also use them at my PC, so they need to be able to do that. Any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

These probably would do the job, but at $15, how good could the sound quality be?

You’d be surprised. Granted you didn’t give a budget. Try them, and if you don’t like them return them. For $15 what could it hurt? I’m telling you they are impressive for the price.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

You’d be surprised. Granted you didn’t give a budget. Try them, and if you don’t like them return them. For $15 what could it hurt? I’m telling you they are impressive for the price.

I might just do that. And as far as my budget, I'm willing to put down good money for good quality. Anywhere under $100 sounds good.

I've had these for the past couple years. https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Detachable/dp/B015S2I6A0?th=1

They sound really good (way better than they should for the price), are super comfortable, and come with tons of accessories: Case, Mic and non-mic cable, and like 10 different ear tips. 

I've used them most days for the better part of two years, and even accidentally slept on top of them more times than I probably should have, and they still work great. 

I've recommended them to a few people who also love them. I would add however that they are relatively neutral, so if you like a lot of Beats type of base then they're not for you. 

10 minutes ago, Kinkade Matthias said:

I've had these for the past couple years. https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Detachable/dp/B015S2I6A0?th=1

They sound really good (way better than they should for the price), are super comfortable, and come with tons of accessories: Case, Mic and non-mic cable, and like 10 different ear tips. 

I've used them most days for the better part of two years, and even accidentally slept on top of them more times than I probably should have, and they still work great. 

I've recommended them to a few people who also love them. I would add however that they are relatively neutral, so if you like a lot of Beats type of base then they're not for you. 

I'm sure those are great, but they don't appear to be over-ear. Over-ear earbuds are a must. The in-ear ones never stay in :/

2 hours ago, RelentlessN7 said:

I'm sure those are great, but they don't appear to be over-ear. Over-ear earbuds are a must. The in-ear ones never stay in :/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed by over-ear, you meant buds that have a wire that goes over the back of your ear and holds them in. The MEE M6's have that, and I've found they stay in amazingly well. I've had the same problems with regular buds falling out, especially when running or exercising, but these don't. 

This is what mine look like after being bent to the shape of my ear. They come with a straight memory wire that you bend to hold them in your ear and it works very well, at least for me.

IMG_0526.thumb.jpg.27deaefdeec228873c8be681146a8d52.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kinkade Matthias said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed by over-ear, you meant buds that have a wire that goes over the back of your ear and holds them in. The MEE M6's have that, and I've found they stay in amazingly well. I've had the same problems with regular buds falling out, especially when running or exercising, but these don't. 

This is what mine look like after being bent to the shape of my ear. They come with a straight memory wire that you bend to hold them in your ear and it works very well, at least for me.

IMG_0526.thumb.jpg.27deaefdeec228873c8be681146a8d52.jpg

Ohhhh, my fault. Upon initially viewing them, the pictures made them look like they were in-ear earbuds. Good to know they're not. That makes them much more attractive, but I'm concerned about what you said about the lack of bass. The earbuds I'm using now are in fact Beats earbuds. I'm getting rid of them because the sound came swapped, meaning when I hear sounds in a game that should be on the right, their in my left ear instead, and they're already falling apart after less than 6 months of use. But despite that, the sound quality is great in them. They're small, but can pack a lot of bass, which I love for music. So these earbuds you linked me are appealing, but if they lack that bass, they'd be a hard sell for me personally.

18 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

Ohhhh, my fault. Upon initially viewing them, the pictures made them look like they were in-ear earbuds. Good to know they're not. That makes them much more attractive, but I'm concerned about what you said about the lack of bass. The earbuds I'm using now are in fact Beats earbuds. I'm getting rid of them because the sound came swapped, meaning when I hear sounds in a game that should be on the right, their in my left ear instead, and they're already falling apart after less than 6 months of use. But despite that, the sound quality is great in them. They're small, but can pack a lot of bass, which I love for music. So these earbuds you linked me are appealing, but if they lack that bass, they'd be a hard sell for me personally.

Hmm, well I'm not sure then. I personally don't like Beats that much, but whatever you get used to bass wise, other headphones can sound bad in comparison. I was just comparing the MEE's to my AKG K7xx's with an amp from my computer, and the MEE's sound very flat in comparison. They're musician IEM's above all else, so they don't have that much bass. Maybe they're not for you then. 

I would say if you're wanting something for gaming and using with your computer, maybe get some cheaper earbuds, like the ones previously suggested here, for using with your phone when out. Then with the money saved on that, buy a good pair of over-ear headphones for your PC. They sound so so much better and they have much more bass.

These are absolutely fantastic - I have the closed back ones - and they have really nice punchy bass. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=twister_B077YBTRTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure what your price range is, but if you can afford it, these are sweet headphones.

That being said, if you just want one set, you could check out Airpods. I've been loving mine, and the convenience of auto-pausing and being able to just throw the case in your pocket is awesome. They sound more like beats since they are made by Apple too. 

6 minutes ago, Kinkade Matthias said:

Hmm, well I'm not sure then. I personally don't like Beats that much, but whatever you get used to bass wise, other headphones can sound bad in comparison. I was just comparing the MEE's to my AKG K7xx's with an amp from my computer, and the MEE's sound very flat in comparison. They're musician IEM's above all else, so they don't have that much bass. Maybe they're not for you then. 

I would say if you're wanting something for gaming and using with your computer, maybe get some cheaper earbuds, like the ones previously suggested here, for using with your phone when out. Then with the money saved on that, buy a good pair of over-ear headphones for your PC. They sound so so much better and they have much more bass.

I know headphones will always have much better sound, but like I said, I want earbuds for comfortability. I just don't like wearing headsets. They always make my ears get way too hot, and I hate headset-hair lol. So pretty much it's earbuds or nothing. I may also consider some speakers for my setup, but I'm still gonna get earbuds regardless.

3 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

I know headphones will always have much better sound, but like I said, I want earbuds for comfortability. I just don't like wearing headsets. They always make my ears get way too hot, and I hate headset-hair lol. So pretty much it's earbuds or nothing. I may also consider some speakers for my setup, but I'm still gonna get earbuds regardless.

Maybe Shure SE215's? They have good bass and are probably the most popular IEM's. https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?tag=sogca-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1452471227&sr=8-1&keywords=Shure%2BSE215-K&th=1

2 hours ago, Kinkade Matthias said:

Unless there's something I'm missing again, it looks like these are in-ear?

Take a look at the Sennheiser CX300 II Precision. Been using them for over 4 years and they're great. The are in-ear but come with three different but size, so you should be able to find the right one. I go jogging with mine and they don't slip at all.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

9 hours ago, RelentlessN7 said:

Nope, they function the exact same way as the MEE's - memory wire over the ear - except they sound way better, and have great bass. They cost more but are probably a much better bet for you.

14 hours ago, RelentlessN7 said:

Same fit as the MEE Audio's @Kinkade Matthiasrecommended. I've heard that they are one of the most comfortable iems around. Haven't tried them, but am considering it as regular iems don't work with my ears in the same way they don't for you. They're mids and bass centric, so it'll suit the sound signature that you like. As an added bonus they come with a 2 year warranty and detachable kevlar reinforced cable. So on the off chance that they do go wrong, simply replace the wire.

Another possible contender could be the RHA MA750I. Those are built excellently and have been known to be very bass heavy whilst retaining good balance. Don't have a detachable cable though, though a 3 year warranty should keep things in check. Or perhaps the B&W C5. Same design as the RHA, but even more bass heavy. Again, no detachable cable.

Aside from these, not many others I can think of. If you're adamant on the ear-clip design, Koss will do something for you at a good price

6 hours ago, IAR117 said:

Same fit as the MEE Audio's @Kinkade Matthiasrecommended. I've heard that they are one of the most comfortable iems around. Haven't tried them, but am considering it as regular iems don't work with my ears in the same way they don't for you. They're mids and bass centric, so it'll suit the sound signature that you like. As an added bonus they come with a 2 year warranty and detachable kevlar reinforced cable. So on the off chance that they do go wrong, simply replace the wire.

Another possible contender could be the RHA MA750I. Those are built excellently and have been known to be very bass heavy whilst retaining good balance. Don't have a detachable cable though, though a 3 year warranty should keep things in check. Or perhaps the B&W C5. Same design as the RHA, but even more bass heavy. Again, no detachable cable.

Aside from these, not many others I can think of. If you're adamant on the ear-clip design, Koss will do something for you at a good price

I like the look of the of the RHA MA750i you mentioned. They're pretty pricey, but I am willing to put down the money if the quality is there. The no detachable cable is fine. I can live without it. I guess it'll come down between these, and the Shure SE215-K @Kinkade Matthias linked. As long as they're over-ear and have good sound quality, money isn't an issue.

14 hours ago, RelentlessN7 said:

I like the look of the of the RHA MA750i you mentioned. They're pretty pricey, but I am willing to put down the money if the quality is there. The no detachable cable is fine. I can live without it. I guess it'll come down between these, and the Shure SE215-K @Kinkade Matthias linked. As long as they're over-ear and have good sound quality, money isn't an issue.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either. Just know the differences in sound are that the Shure's are mids and bass heavy and RHA are more balanced. The SE215 are also supposed to be built quite well

Reading through the thread. Just out of curiosity, any of you guys know how the Shure se215 sound vs 1more triple drivers?

2 hours ago, IAR117 said:

I'm sure you'll be happy with either. Just know the differences in sound are that the Shure's are mids and bass heavy and RHA are more balanced. The SE215 are also supposed to be built quite well

Tough decision. I really do appreciate a lot of bass though.

I know you aren't interested in big over the ear cans - but nonetheless, I'd still like to recommend the Massdrop made AKG M220 Pros. I just recently picked up a pair and they're absolutely fantastic, especially for the pretty reasonable $50 pricetag.

The reason in particular that I do suggest these, is because even though they're  cans, they're actually really comfortable and super light with a fairly small strap footprint up top, so they don't have too much of an effect regarding your hair. Also - I definitely struggle with headphones, as I get really bad migraines and they can be set off by either headphones that are too heavy or sit too tightly on your ears. In ear/ earbuds can cause issues for me too, as ones that sit super tight in my ears can also set off migraine attacks as well.

I've had the massdrop akg's for a month plus and I've barely had any headpain issues from them at all, so even if they're not exactly what you looking for, I can still recommend them as a pretty light and loose sitting pair of headphones.

My PC:

• Asus Prime-B350 Plus. Ryzen 7 1700Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400. EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  • 256GB SSD/ 3TB HDD. Corsair CX650M. CoolerMaster Masterliquid Lite 120. Fractal Design Meshify C
  • Reidea KM06. Redragon M601. LG 34UM67-P. Arion Legacy AR504LR-BKMass Drop AKG M220 Pro                                                              

You sell them pretty well, I'll give you that. I'd consider them. Just to let you know, your link just brings me to the homepage of that website, and not the headphones. Just a heads up.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:51 AM, mondestine said:

I know you aren't interested in big over the ear cans - but nonetheless, I'd still like to recommend the Massdrop made AKG M220 Pros. I just recently picked up a pair and they're absolutely fantastic, especially for the pretty reasonable $50 pricetag.

The reason in particular that I do suggest these, is because even though they're  cans, they're actually really comfortable and super light with a fairly small strap footprint up top, so they don't have too much of an effect regarding your hair. Also - I definitely struggle with headphones, as I get really bad migraines and they can be set off by either headphones that are too heavy or sit too tightly on your ears. In ear/ earbuds can cause issues for me too, as ones that sit super tight in my ears can also set off migraine attacks as well.

I've had the massdrop akg's for a month plus and I've barely had any headpain issues from them at all, so even if they're not exactly what you looking for, I can still recommend them as a pretty light and loose sitting pair of headphones.

Any difference between the Massdrop ones and Amazon ones? https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-M220-Professional-Definition-Headphones/dp/B0155DGHUI

I like how they look, but have had a bad experience with AKG Y50's in the past I.E Too much bass

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-nuforce-edc-in-ear-monitors The Nuforce EDC from Massdrop. It have actual good soundstage for an IEM so it's good for games, movies and music. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075QY36WP/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1518556005&sr=8-22-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=monoprice+earbuds&psc=1 

Monoprice Monoliths, open earphones with very good soundstage and imaging. Only bad thing about them is that they are very big for earphones.