Black screen on startup, cannot boot into bios.

Treyminater
Go to solution Solved by Treyminater,
9 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Try using DDU to uninstall the graphics card driver first before trying to install it again if you haven't already: https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/

and if that doesn't work, there's one more step I'd try before trying to return the graphics card.

Flashing the GPU bios.. now that's a sketchy ass thing to do that can go very wrong so make sure to read up on it before doing it.

It's not hard, but it can go wrong so best to know for sure what you're doing.

Ended up just trying to use the hdmi port. Seems to have fixed it, and it was definitely something with either the GPU or the dvi port/cord. Gonna see if it was the cord becoming faulty, and if it was then thats that. If its the port, gonna probably just send it in for a possible RMA?

Hey guys, tried starting up my pc today and it ended up getting stuck on a black screen after loading mobo screen twice. Not able to boot into bios either. Startup repair gave me no luck as it did not find anything. Eventually used the refresh feature and it seems to be loading, however i am unsure on what happened. I was able to get on my desktop after the refresh, however i still cannot choose bootmodes or enter bios to attempt a fresh install/repair

if its uefi you can't enter the bios without the os working (which is the dumbest design ever) but apparently that's how it's supposed to work.

Just now, emosun said:

if its uefi you can't enter the bios without the os working (which is the dumbest design ever) but apparently that's how it's supposed to work.

That's not true unless you specifically enable that option.

6 minutes ago, Treyminater said:

Hey guys, tried starting up my pc today and it ended up getting stuck on a black screen after loading mobo screen twice. Not able to boot into bios either. Startup repair gave me no luck as it did not find anything. Eventually used the refresh feature and it seems to be loading, however i am unsure on what happened. I was able to get on my desktop after the refresh, however i still cannot choose bootmodes or enter bios to attempt a fresh install/repair

Try holding down shift then clicking start > restart. You should get a new menu where you go Advanced > Start Up Options > Reboot to UEFI Firmware

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

EDIT

Beaten to it...

I have UEFI and wiped all my drives of win7 after getting a rootkit via Meltdown in December that was on all the drives and impossible to remove.

I had to manually /clean all (which took 2 days on both drives)

I had absolutely nothing on all my hard drives, not even formatted but I was able to go in to the BIOS and set the boot order to USB so I could install windows 10

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

yea and red isn't blue , unless it's blue...... then it's blue....

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Try holding down shift then clicking start > restart. You should get a new menu where you go Advanced > Start Up Options > Reboot to UEFI Firmware

Not seeing the reboot to uefi.

Just now, emosun said:

yea and red isn't blue , unless it's blue...... then it's blue....

Err what? Saying something is supposed to work that way when it's actually a user selectable option (that comes disabled by default) is just plain wrong.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Treyminater said:

Not seeing the reboot to uefi.

Do you see the boot menu?

Click on Start then type in System Information and open the tool, on the first page look for something similar to UEFI Boot Mode (might not be exactly that), does it say Enabled?

Apparently it's BIOS MODE as shown here

xsi_2.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Do you see the boot menu?

Click on Start then type in System Information and open the tool, on the first page look for something similar to UEFI Boot Mode (might not be exactly that), does it say Enabled?

As of now, was able to get into advanced settings. Going to see if a fresh install will do anything. Will update

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

(that comes disabled by default)

unless it's enabled by default , which it usually always is.

idk where you're from where uefi isn't commonplace , but on earth they usually choose to enable it by default. 

1 minute ago, emosun said:

unless it's enabled by default , which it usually always is.

idk where you're from where uefi isn't commonplace , but on earth they usually choose to enable it by default. 

Sorry buddy but I've owned 5 different UEFI boards and have built more than 20 PCs with UEFI for friends and family. Not once has any of the boards I've ever built come with UEFI Fast Boot Mode enabled, in actual fact UEFI boards always come with the CSM enabled for legacy boot mode and with legacy boot mode enabled UEFI fast boot doesn't work at all.

I get the impression from your last response that you don't really understand the topic you're trying to debate properly.

Quick hint: having a UEFI BIOS does not mean you can't enter the firmware without Windows installed, that's an option inside the firmware that is called Fast Boot which will generally have 3 settings, Off (default), On and Ultra, Fast or Turbo (depending on your board manufacturer). Having it On means you can still enter firmware by pressing Delete, F2 or whatever your board uses during POST, having it set to Fast, Turbo or Ultra means you can't enter during POST and must enter via Software (Windows or utility).

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Sorry buddy but I've owned 5 different UEFI boards and have built more than 20 PCs with UEFI for friends and family.

lol none of which were prebuilts or laptops , just quit now while you're behind

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

lol none of which were prebuilts or laptops , just quit now while you're behind

Why the fuck would I be building a laptop or prebuilt? And I'm sorry but at what point did OP say his machine was a prebuilt or laptop? He actually infers that accessing BIOS is something he can normally do.

Moving the goalposts to suit your argument is something only done when you know you've lost the debate.

Your posts have all been clueless since the first one when you flat out gave incorrect information and you still think you won? There has to be competition for there to be a winner. I was never competing with you, I was trying to inform you but I guess I'll just chalk this up to experience and allow your fantasy to continue.

1 hour ago, Treyminater said:

ignoring the silly, pointless arguments here...

Back to the OP's question:

This is a long shot but sometimes certain USB devices cause a black screen on boot usually followed by a blinking line.

If you're still getting this problem after reinstalling windows like you said you were going to do,

try taking out all of your USB devices other than your mouse and keyboard before booting.

That's likely not it though.

The last time I saw that problem was on a computer from like 10-15 years ago, but you never know.

Also, just in case fast boot is enabled,

try clearing the CMOS. That'll let you get back into the bios again since it'll reset everything to defaults.

You just need to power down, pull out the power plug, take that little battery out of the motherboard, wait like 30 seconds and put it back in.

38 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

what point did OP say his machine was a prebuilt or laptop?

38 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Moving the goalposts to suit your argument is something only done when you know you've lost the debate.

I can't handle the irony it's too strong! i gotta post this on reddit it's hurting my sides lol

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I can't handle the irony it's too strong

Are you OK?

1 hour ago, stateofpsychosis said:

ignoring the silly, pointless arguments here...

Back to the OP's question:

This is a long shot but sometimes certain USB devices cause a black screen on boot usually followed by a blinking line.

If you're still getting this problem after reinstalling windows like you said you were going to do,

try taking out all of your USB devices other than your mouse and keyboard before booting.

That's likely not it though.

The last time I saw that problem was on a computer from like 10-15 years ago, but you never know.

Also, just in case fast boot is enabled,

try clearing the CMOS. That'll let you get back into the bios again since it'll reset everything to defaults.

You just need to power down, pull out the power plug, take that little battery out of the motherboard, wait like 30 seconds and put it back in.

Thanks. My attempts to reinstall didnt do so well, and im attempting to reset cmos now. Tried reinstalling my graphics drivers when i was able to get into my pc and got black screen. Thinking its my gpu at this point?

19 hours ago, Treyminater said:

Thanks. My attempts to reinstall didnt do so well, and im attempting to reset cmos now. Tried reinstalling my graphics drivers when i was able to get into my pc and got black screen. Thinking its my gpu at this point?

Try using DDU to uninstall the graphics card driver first before trying to install it again if you haven't already: https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/

and if that doesn't work, there's one more step I'd try before trying to return the graphics card.

Flashing the GPU bios.. now that's a sketchy ass thing to do that can go very wrong so make sure to read up on it before doing it.

9 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Ended up just trying to use the hdmi port. Seems to have fixed it, and it was definitely something with either the GPU or the dvi port/cord. Gonna see if it was the cord becoming faulty, and if it was then thats that. If its the port, gonna probably just send it in for a possible RMA?

11 hours ago, Treyminater said:

Yea, that sounds good.

I would definitely RMA it if one of the ports is bad..

Though, now that you mention it, it sounds like the cable to me.