Damp hard drive and SSD

Raiden60
Go to solution Solved by Jaxzzzzz,

if you let all the water evaporate then theoretically your pcb should be fine, not sure about residue on the platters on the hdd but it is also prolly ok

Ok, so a while ago I had a house fire which damaged my computer due to soot. I removed the hard drive and SSD and put them in a box, and left that box in the house. The house had no heating and in the middle of winter the air was very cold and moist. So when I got the drives today and found they were damp (Probably have been since November) I’m wondering if the data is damaged. I really don’t want the data to be irretrievable, can someone help me out? The drives are a WD 1tb Blue and a sandisk x110, and both were full to capacity.

if moisture is involved I say those need to go in bag full or rice (for atleast 2 weeks imo) before even attempting to connect it to power.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

do not plug them in or apply voltage to them, let them dry as well as you can and hope for the best. 

If there’s damage to the PCB of the hdd will the data still be retrievable?

Put them in a completely dry place with air blowing on them for a long time. Don’t power them up!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

if you let all the water evaporate then theoretically your pcb should be fine, not sure about residue on the platters on the hdd but it is also prolly ok

1 minute ago, Jaxzzzzz said:

Well I’m thinking that since it is condensed water it’s should be relatively clean.

Leave them alone... at least for a few days, a week or more would be better!

Do not put them in direct heat either. Put them in a living room/bedroom where the temperature is more of a constant (not in the bathroom even though the temperature is usually more or less static, the humidity rises/falls too quickly).

I you have some packets of silica gell, put them on-top/around the drives.

When dried out, connect only power (no sata) to see if they spin up. If power up, then power down and connect SATA and see what happens.

If they don't spin up however, all is not lost, they can still be repaired by replacing the PCB or swapping out the BIOS on the PCB (that's really complicated though. My soldering skills aren't up to that task, and I can't find anyone I need to do the repair for me, and I live in Central London, have found a company in Canada, but its quite expensive)...

Fun fact: I once pulled a Dell P1110 CRT monitor indoors form the curb, after 4 days straight of rain, all I did was let it dry for three days straight and it turned on no problem.  I of course did NOT even plug it in when it was wet.

Water, at least clean water, so not so much like FLOOD water, doesn't harm most electronics so long as there's no power going through them.  Let them dry out and it's almost certain that it's fine.

Alright, ive put them in an airing cupboard and will leave them there for a week. I’m expecting to have a new computer soon but I will wait until it is completely dry before attaching it to my computer and powering it on