just got my first desktop could use some help plz

Joeballs187
Go to solution Solved by r3loAded,
1 minute ago, Joeballs187 said:

1 600$

2 yes i did bought it 

3 400$ left 

Ok. Clearer now. To be honest is kind of hard to recommend something now after you already bought that PC. But you got some options:

1. Do what others suggested - upgrade the PC you bought with a new CPU, maybe motherboard, and maybe some decent cooling if overclocking is something that you might consider. Also you need to upgrade the PSU as well if you buy a more power hungry GPU. Also take into consideration that this kind of thing requires a little bit of knowledge, which I'm almost sure that the people who suggested that will gladly help you.

2. Go with my recommendation - another 4GB of ram, an SSD and one of the 3 GPUs I suggested - and use the PC as it is and later when you have a decent amount of money saved you sell this PC and put the money towards a new build, alongside with your savings.

3. Don't invest anything in it, put it up for sale locally, and try to get as close as possible to price you paid for it - try to reduce the loses as much as possible and save up the money until you can get a new, better build.

this is the pc i just got https://www.ebay.com/itm/401484149301 looks ok but what do i know i say i7 and was like ok on it cool but im under not dilushion that i have no idea what im doing just love watching linus talk about computers and wana learn to play to i dont wana be left out of the fun right so i got one i have about 350 left to spend maybe i could do 400 i trust ill be able to make a ok pc but geting some help would be amazing becouse i again have no idea what im doing i just got hyped and now im in over my head but thats ok maybe i can make a freind in the prosses of this all lol any ways if any one sees any graring flows in this pc i only see 4gb of ram is bad i fond 16gb for 100 i think thats probly a good price then a cheap graphics card but i think the mother borad would loss the windows then right so thats 100+ right so ill loss value becouse for the pc whatever so thats 200 then 200 for a graphics card i think the gtx970 looks like a bad ass but idk im such a pleb plz help idk if i even am looking at this right i hope some one sees this

I'm lost as to what you're asking. Did you buy the computer you linked to? That thing is old, nearly 9 years old for the CPU.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

yes i got that pc so do you think its atleast worth what i spent 

34 minutes ago, Joeballs187 said:

then 200 for a graphics card i think the gtx970 looks like a bad ass but idk im such a pleb plz help idk if i even am looking at this right i hope some one sees this  

The PC is bad for value as a whole.

If you want to put a GTX 970 in it, you'll have to change the power supply for sure.

37 minutes ago, Joeballs187 said:

i only see 4gb of ram is bad i fond 16gb for 100 i think thats probly a good price

Don't buy 16gb of ram. Just buy another stick of 4gb for now to make 8GB in total and call in the day.

And for the love of god, please write in English correctly. I know you're not writing emails or novels, but bare minimum. For the sake of our brains and eyes. (you should be able to do that better than others as English is your native language)

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

You maybe should have asked before you bought, but now you have it i wouldn't worry about how good it is. Just start playing around with, try some older games too because you have A LOT of games to catch up with.

Don't forget to get good antivirus software, don't click on random things to download and get a steam account. Try some free to play games to see what it can do, Planetside 2 for example.

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.

7 minutes ago, Joeballs187 said:

ok thanks 4gb and call it a day 

Also, do a bargain hunt for an SSD, if you have some money left. Any >120gb SSD. Even used, it'll still serve you for a year or two with just windows installed on it.

Also, I wouldn't pair a 970 with that CPU. You could go for a 1050 Ti and "theoretically" you should escape without replacing the power supply. If you don't mind lower game settings, a 1050 is OKish or and RX460 4GB, which again, might work with your power supply (take a picture of your power supply and upload here).

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

The PC was listed as an i7 2.8ghz, most are clocked higher are average, especially modern ones unless they're in a laptop maybe. If you read the description it say i7 First gen, i7-860. The 860 is pretty trash, and I could probably find a cheap dell with an i7 2600 or 3770 for less or the same price.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

8 minutes ago, HOOTSMON said:

You maybe should have asked before you bought, but now you have it i wouldn't worry about how good it is. Just start playing around with, try some older games too because you have A LOT of games to catch up with.

Don't forget to get good antivirus software, don't click on random things to download and get a steam account. Try some free to play games to see what it can do, Planetside 2 for example.

ok i will thanks ill see what i can do with it i get it on the 9th 

1 minute ago, r3loAded said:

Also, do a bargain hunt for an SSD, if you have some money left. Any >120gb SSD. Even used, it'll still serve you for a year or two with just windows installed on it.

Also, I wouldn't pair a 970 with that CPU. You could go for a 1050 Ti and "theoretically" you should escape without replacing the power supply. If you don't mind lower game settings, a 1050 is OKish or and RX460 4GB, which again, might work with your power supply (take a picture of your power supply and upload here).

If he isnt planning any 144hz gaming, then the 970 is fine. (Personal experience)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

If he isnt planning any 144hz gaming, then the 970 is fine. (Personal experience)

So, you're saying that you paired an ancient i7-860 with a GTX 970?

Do you think it's a good value for money? He'll need to change the PSU as well.

Also considering budget I would say and SSD and a 1050 Ti would suit him better.

Also considering budget I would say and SSD and a 1050 Ti would suit him better.

I did it for fun, I had the stuff on hand, so why not? Although I did overclock to 860 to 4ghz.

Eh it was fine for what I paid, maybe not for what he had paid. The market at that time was just fine, I got everything, mobo, cpu, ram, psu, case, cooler for about 275.

Given that most 500gb harddrives are slow, I'd agree. A 1050ti would probably be for the best until the market floods with cards when bitcoin falls

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

yea i only have 400$ left i should have come here first shit i was so excited just jumped at the first thing i saw i feel dum now but thanks all  i can put 100 a month in it though 

2 minutes ago, Joeballs187 said:

yea i only have 400$ left i should have come here first shit i was so excited just jumped at the first thing i saw i feel dum now but thanks all  i can put 100 a month in it though 

The "damage is done". This PC doesn't deserve to have money invested in it. It's like throwing out money.

So go for this:

- 4gb ram

- 120GB SSD (you could use a 60GB one but that's barely enough just for windows - a 120GB shouldn't be that expesive)

- one of these (the one that's cheaper and suits your gaming needs): GTX 1050, RX460, GTX 1050 Ti (make sure that which model you choose it doesn't require a separate 6pin power cable - they usually don't but just double check) 

13 minutes ago, r3loAded said:

You’re underestimating the 860. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

8 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I did it for fun

That' something else. IMO is a bad pair. But if you're doing it for fun or testing, then yeah. Do consider that OP is not here for fun and doesn't have money to spend for fun ;)

Just now, r3loAded said:

That' something else. IMO is a bad pair. But if you're doing it for fun or testing, then yeah. Do consider that OP is not here for fun and doesn't have money to spend for fun ;)

I spend the money for fun, then I resell for (slightly) higher prices.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, TheRandomness said:

You’re underestimating the 860. 

Maybe, but I'm taking into consideration the OP's budget. So let's keep the chat around that.

Also, would you personally pair a 970 with that CPU in that PC? Do you really think it's a good fair pair? I'm not sating you can't do it, but does it worth?

Maybe, but I'm taking into consideration the OP's budget. So let's keep the chat around that.

Also, would you personally pair a 970 with that CPU in that PC? Do you really think it's a good fair pair? I'm not sating you can't do it, but does it worth?

I’d do it, even if the CPU did hold it back a little. Why? Because he can just upgrade everything else later. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

I’d do it, even if the CPU did hold it back a little. Why? Because he can just upgrade everything else later. 

From my testing, the 860 isnt bad, it can handle games like gta 5, not super well at stock speeds, but if he could overclock then its pretty fine

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

thats what i was thinking ill be putting 100$ into it a month from now till its done then ill start solar panels 

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

From my testing, the 860 isnt bad, it can handle games like gta 5, not super well at stock speeds, but if he could overclock then its pretty fine

im not expecting to run my copy of hellblade yet but maybe one day and on toms hardware some one told me https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-4GB-WINDFORCE-Graphics-GV-N770OC-4GD/dp/B00CU9GOAO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517914137&sr=8-4&keywords=GeForce+GTX+770 this is what i want to get idk now what do you all think and what op's are you all making fun of me thats not nice 

Just now, Joeballs187 said:

im not expecting to run my copy of hellblade yet but maybe one day and on toms hardware some one told me https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-4GB-WINDFORCE-Graphics-GV-N770OC-4GD/dp/B00CU9GOAO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517914137&sr=8-4&keywords=GeForce+GTX+770 this is what i want to get idk now what do you all think and what op's are you all making fun of me thats not nice 

You can find GTX 770's on eBay for about 70-100$ if they arent a shit deal. I wouldnt recommend buying used off amazon, they tend to have inflated prices due to lack of stock.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Upgrade what? The whole PC?

4 minutes ago, Joeballs187 said:

thats what i was thinking ill be putting 100$ into it a month from now

Just my 2 cents. The damage is done. Less money invested in it the better - investing in a dead end is not that ok. Keep it for as long as possible. When you have more money to invest in a pc, come back here and we will try and give you the best for your buck.

Just now, r3loAded said:

Upgrade what? The whole PC?

Just my 2 cents. The damage is done. Less money invested in it the better - investing in a dead end is not that ok. Keep it for as long as possible. When you have more money to invest in a pc, come back here and we will try and give you the best for your buck.

Upgrade the CPU to some Xeon or something, more RAM, probably just change the mobo out...etc 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats