OVERHEAT? i7 8700k, NZXT Cracken x62

Hello guys,

Sorry for my english. And thank you for your time reading this.

I have one question about CPU Temperatures if they are normal, and usually what temperatures do you get with this settings?

Yesterday I build my new PC, without the grafics card because it didn't came yet.

Here are the PC Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/doctoras69/saved/Lxsr7P

I wanted to build something small, but I had little trouble installing the CPU Cooler, it wouldn't fit 

in normal potition because the tubes of CPU Cooler was 'hitting' the rams, didn't have enought space since I install mini ITX motherboard.

So I needed to change direction of the cooler, and now I am ok with that. Just the letters are not straight, but not a big deal.

So I am new in overclocking and I saw some guides online and I tryed it out.

My Rams are running in 3200 MHZ.

I stressed my CPU with CINEBENCH R15, and UserBenchMark.

Temperatures are on Celcius.

I am not sure about my CPU voltage, because is not stable in one voltage. Maybe I missed some settings.

1) In start I tryed at 5 GHZ with this guide :

But my PC would get temperatures min: 35 C and max: above 100 C and it turned of.

2) Then I tried the default settings for 5GHZ from the Asus motherboard, and the PC 

didn't turn off but still was getting too much high temperatures like min:35 C max:95 C

3) Now I have it in 4,7 GHZ and I get min: 35 C max 85 C

That's it. I saw some post with the same CPU i7 8700k , overclocked at 5GHZ and they get min 20 C , max 65 C. Is it truth?

Are my temperatures Normal ? Should I change thermal paste? Should I change CPU Cooler? Is some setting in BIOS I do wrong?

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7167061

https://imgur.com/a/BE0fU

Thank you again for your time and sorry for my english. 

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

gthe voltage carefully. dont let it go past 1.35V when it does reach 80C. Are the fans plugged in?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Those temps do seem a bit high even with the stock paste. I'm assuming it is connected properly? Fans are spinning pretty good? Do you have exhaust fans?

a couple things to check that may help temps, which header is the pump plugged into? You want to make sure it's running near max all the time. I'm assuming you downloaded the CAM software, check and see what RPM the pump is at and what speed fans are set to. If you don't mind a little more noise, set the fan curve to Performance and set it to work off the liquid temp instead of CPU temp. Then set the pump to fixed where it's running 90% at most temps, until maybe about over 70*c and then 100% and have that set to run off the CPU temp. If this doesn't make sense I can try to break it down a little better. 

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+

These temps are normal for normal 8700k. Those who get 65 c with 8700k have delid theirs, because unlike amd, who solders their processors, Intel just slaps some toothpase between the die and heatspreader, and calls it a day.

Hello guys again, 

Thank you for your replies.

So I run and the AIDA64 and the Cpu reached 98 C!!! With 4.7 GHZ.

So I conected this Manta's case circuit to the CPU_FAN on my motherboard, then I connected my coller pumbs cable to the CPU Cooler pins on the circuit bellow, and then all the rest fans I plugged them on the rest spots on the circuit.

5a77492055ae6_.jpg.6e00c9fdbee8ba1018f2beac01d32075.jpg5a774bb88e657_.jpg.c3eeb2170dfa97d6852a70391c77825b.jpgIMG_0169.thumb.jpg.b92963f548cef6604112e0468e342111.jpgIMG_0167.thumb.jpg.a7a393afd2f786c9aa67eb1202d1b142.jpgIMG_0166.thumb.jpg.7628476cefaef299884df1f5222875c2.jpg

Yes in full load I  hear the fans speaning fast. But in my CAM program doesn't show how many RPM fans work.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

You put thermal compound between the processor and the radiator water block, right?

Is the radiator water block is tightly attacked to the processor?

Also my PC boots in 20 seconds from cold start,

and I have i7 8700k 4,7GHZ, 16GB Ram 3200 MHZ, 960 PRO 512, windows 10 x64

and one other PC I made with : Ryzen 3 1300x , 8GB Ram 2400MHZ, with 960 EVO 250 GB , gtx 1050 ti windows 10 x64

boots within 10 seconds!!!!! What the hek? Does it matter I dont have GPU yet?

36 minutes ago, Ωhmbreon said:

You put thermal compound between the processor and the radiator water block, right?

Is the radiator water block is tightly attacked to the processor?

Hello, Thank you for replying. Yes I added, I dont know if matters because it was 2 years old. Yes they are pretty tightly!

Just now, doctoras69 said:

Hello, Thank you for replying. Yes I added, I dont know if matters because it was 2 years old. Yes they are pretty tightly!

Is the pump spinning faster when there is load? Can you even measure that?

1 minute ago, Ωhmbreon said:

The cam software can show you that.

2 minutes ago, Ωhmbreon said:

I saw from the CAM software before and after CPU stress the pumb runs the same at 1690 RPM, But the fans spinning faster

I saw from the CAM software before and after CPU stress the pumb runs the same at 1690 RPM, But the fans spinning faster

Then I'm afraid you might just have to delid. I had to since my 7700K was running at 95 degrees stock in the stress tests, but also 85 under normal gaming load. It now runs 60 degrees under stress test and 45 under gaming load. The stress test will always run hotter than a game since it is using all of the CPU.

2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

gthe voltage carefully. dont let it go past 1.35V when it does reach 80C. Are the fans plugged in?

The voltage while stress test is ~1.28V and the voltage after stress test with no load is 1.344V

2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

I saw and some 1.37V with no load

27 minutes ago, Ωhmbreon said:

Then I'm afraid you might just have to delid. I had to since my 7700K was running at 95 degrees stock in the stress tests, but also 85 under normal gaming load. It now runs 60 degrees under stress test and 45 under gaming load. The stress test will always run hotter than a game since it is using all of the CPU.

So you think, problem is with CPU right? Can it be failure of cooler?

So you think, problem is with CPU right? Can it be failure of cooler?

Everything seems to be okay with your cooler. You could also contact NZXT about it and see if it might need to be replaced. I'd actually suggest you do that before delidding your processor. 

9 minutes ago, Ωhmbreon said:

Everything seems to be okay with your cooler. You could also contact NZXT about it and see if it might need to be replaced. I'd actually suggest you do that before delidding your processor. 

Thank you for your advise!

I will contact them first yeah.

So now I Set the fans in full speed from BIOS and its pretty loud. 

Then I run for 5 minutes stability test from AIDA64.

And I get average temperatures `75-85 with max 93C.

I see from CPU-Z that the core voltage is arround 1.36V , And from Core Temp 11 that the VID is 1.37-1.40 V while stressing.

So I return all settings I changed in BIOS in the default. And now the CPU runs from 4,3~4,7 with average 1.2~1.3 V and the temperatues are min 25C , and average while stress 55 C with max 70 C . I think I am gonna leave it how it is... 

Thank you all for your effort to help me!

Have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 8:43 AM, doctoras69 said:

Hello guys,

Sorry for my english. And thank you for your time reading this.

I have one question about CPU Temperatures if they are normal, and usually what temperatures do you get with this settings?

Yesterday I build my new PC, without the grafics card because it didn't came yet.

Here are the PC Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/doctoras69/saved/Lxsr7P

I wanted to build something small, but I had little trouble installing the CPU Cooler, it wouldn't fit 

in normal potition because the tubes of CPU Cooler was 'hitting' the rams, didn't have enought space since I install mini ITX motherboard.

So I needed to change direction of the cooler, and now I am ok with that. Just the letters are not straight, but not a big deal.

So I am new in overclocking and I saw some guides online and I tryed it out.

My Rams are running in 3200 MHZ.

I stressed my CPU with CINEBENCH R15, and UserBenchMark.

Temperatures are on Celcius.

I am not sure about my CPU voltage, because is not stable in one voltage. Maybe I missed some settings.

1) In start I tryed at 5 GHZ with this guide :

But my PC would get temperatures min: 35 C and max: above 100 C and it turned of.

2) Then I tried the default settings for 5GHZ from the Asus motherboard, and the PC 

didn't turn off but still was getting too much high temperatures like min:35 C max:95 C

3) Now I have it in 4,7 GHZ and I get min: 35 C max 85 C

That's it. I saw some post with the same CPU i7 8700k , overclocked at 5GHZ and they get min 20 C , max 65 C. Is it truth?

Are my temperatures Normal ? Should I change thermal paste? Should I change CPU Cooler? Is some setting in BIOS I do wrong?

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7167061

https://imgur.com/a/BE0fU

Thank you again for your time and sorry for my english. 

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Hey,

It seems you have it figured out but I had a similar experience to even where my overclock seemed unstable. I would try monitoring using HWmonitor vs CAM as I just found out that CAM jumped even my idle temp from 26-30C to 40-50C. Started monitoring with only HWmonitor or even ryzen master and closed cam and my idle returned to those figures and my overclock was stable again.

I think there may be a bug within the CAM software somehow making the CPU generate more heat or something. It's worth a shot to try your old overclock presets and just not use CAM to monitor as it's causing this at least in my case. Took me forever to figure it out.

Good Luck

On 2/4/2018 at 8:43 AM, doctoras69 said:

Did you pull the plastic off the bottom of your water block? You would be surprised how often people forget that step.

Looking at your screenshot.. I can see your chip is requesting 1.34 (vid) and looks to be getting 1.32.

The problem is for this CPU that is a LOT of voltage and is causing your temps to be much higher than needed. I would see if there is a bios update for your board, because you should not be pushing more than 1.25 stock and that is only if you have a terrible chip. Most 8700k's will run between 1.15-1.20 at stock clocks.

So I would work on getting your Voltage levels under control.