Problem with power to gpu

MaorRX

I have a rx 580 arous edition and it has a white led indicator that lights up everytime there is unusal power, that light pops up randomly every few days, and i have seen it more lately. The psu is a corsair tx750 gold psu. Is it the PSU problem or GPU? What should I RMA??? PLZ HELP

21 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If you have another PSU that can power your GPU, test that.

Problem is it only happens every once in a while i cant stare at my gpu for like 2 hours?

Just now, MaorRX said:

Problem is it only happens every once in a while i cant stare at my gpu for like 2 hours?

Is your power stable? Meaning it doesn't fluctuate at all? If your wall power is fluctuating, that could certainly cause problems with your PSU getting power to the components.

No real way to find out without testing some other components though.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I would look into Crunchy's advice, it is a very good point, and computers hate power fluctuations.

Check the voltage on the wall socket, is it below 118?

Also if you know your house's electrical wiring, is this circuit tied into other things? 

Microwave, ovens, electric motors, etc.

Anything that is going to draw alot of juice or screw with the voltage coming from the wall.

On 2/4/2018 at 5:34 PM, ElSeniorTaco said:

I would look into Crunchy's advice, it is a very good point, and computers hate power fluctuations.

Check the voltage on the wall socket, is it below 118?

Also if you know your house's electrical wiring, is this circuit tied into other things? 

Microwave, ovens, electric motors, etc.

Anything that is going to draw alot of juice or screw with the voltage coming from the wall.

I am using a UPS, a really good one. I just bought the ups this December for  around $150. It is cyberpower and capable of 900watts load. The ups wall power says i am getting 117v to 120v depending on time of day?

I'm not sure what effect the ups has on the voltages, but if its low for your area, its not by much..

I like that it shows you a range, that is helpful.

if you had a fluctuation of more then 5~8 volts, I would be a little concerned.

But that's not the worst I've seen by far.

At this point I would look into the power supply, maybe the gpu its self.

But you are stuck in between the two, and if its only occasional, its going to be hard to tell what is the problem without logging.

It could be voltage regulators that are built into the gpu or something in the psu

if you could get some sort of psu tester that could log, or at least show ranges, that would be the direction I would go in.

Maybe just RMA both lmao, almost cant lose that way ;)

If I had to choose one to do at a time, I would start with PSU

Considering that if the psu is damaged, and you get a replacement gpu, with some bad luck it might damage the replacement gpu

if you are going to replace something, I would start there, and see if the light ever comes back on.

If your running out of time on the warranty or something, I would just send both back immediately and see if the problem is solved

So you have time to look into other components before warranty runs out on all of it.

Without a chunk of data to analyze, your going to be in the dark

And I am betting that the tools to do some sort of data logging on a psu, are going to be too expensive to be worth it to an end user.

51 minutes ago, ElSeniorTaco said:

I'm not sure what effect the ups has on the voltages, but if its low for your area, its not by much..

I like that it shows you a range, that is helpful.

if you had a fluctuation of more then 5~8 volts, I would be a little concerned.

But that's not the worst I've seen by far.

At this point I would look into the power supply, maybe the gpu its self.

But you are stuck in between the two, and if its only occasional, its going to be hard to tell what is the problem without logging.

It could be voltage regulators that are built into the gpu or something in the psu

if you could get some sort of psu tester that could log, or at least show ranges, that would be the direction I would go in.

Maybe just RMA both lmao, almost cant lose that way ;)

If I had to choose one to do at a time, I would start with PSU

Considering that if the psu is damaged, and you get a replacement gpu, with some bad luck it might damage the replacement gpu

if you are going to replace something, I would start there, and see if the light ever comes back on.

If your running out of time on the warranty or something, I would just send both back immediately and see if the problem is solved

So you have time to look into other components before warranty runs out on all of it.

Without a chunk of data to analyze, your going to be in the dark

And I am betting that the tools to do some sort of data logging on a psu, are going to be too expensive to be worth it to an end user.

Could it be a driver issue, or some sort of bad bios on gpu??

Could the sensor on gpu also be failing??

My voltage on ups never really drops below 117v, sometimes even at 122v based on ups

in uefi all of the voltages seems to be proper and in the right number,and never drop even a little, everything steady??

Just now, MaorRX said:

Could it be a driver issue, or some sort of bad bios on gpu??

Could the sensor on gpu also be failing??

My voltage on ups never really drops below 117v, sometimes even at 122v based on ups

in uefi all of the voltages seems to be proper and in the right number,and never drop even a little, everything steady??

It also does not seem like this happens only when gpu is underload, i have been stress testing it and everything was fine no white light. UPS and psu both brand new just bought pc and ups last month?

I am trying older driver seeing if it helps ?

Also UPS does not tell me a range it just tells me current voltage. Right now it is at 117v. Usually it is at 120v, even a little higher. House is pretty new so wiring should be good

voltages in bios are 12.288v, 5.040, and 3.328?? Is that good?

I am sorry for driving you guys crazy, but i am no Computer hardware engineer so I am curious and wanna figure all of this out. Now that i am not using not the latest driver 18.2.1, but instead using the 17.12.1 driver I dont see the voltage meter on gpu blinking problem anymore, at least for now. The gpu manufacture gigabyte have this driver instead of the latest one on thier website for download. But due to me being me super ocd mode, i installed latest one. Could it be that because amd has implemented the amd chill technology  more into new driver the  voltage sensor is going nuts and thinking that gpu is not getting power? Maby a new bios update from Gigabyte  for GPU will fix this problem with GPU and new amd driver. Please let me know, neevr had this issues with a nvidia gpu? Though I never used a nvidia gpu with a voltage sensor?

Tech is really complicated and software is also a real big issue, so first i want to figure out if it is the software to blame?

Removing gpu from pcie slot and reinstalling it seems to have fixed the issue

On 2/4/2018 at 1:51 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is your power stable? Meaning it doesn't fluctuate at all? If your wall power is fluctuating, that could certainly cause problems with your PSU getting power to the components.

No real way to find out without testing some other components though.

Removing gpu from pcie slot and reinstalling it seems to have fixed the issue