XLR mic issue

Trigger Moke

Ok so i am having this issue with my XLR mic where my voice isn't the loudest but when i boost my mic through windows People can actually hear me but there is a lot of background noise that is now being picked up.

Is there a way to get rid of this background noise that isn't actually there unless i boost my mic?

Whats your setup ?

You can use Voice software to set up noise gates. There are software such as Voicemeeter to help with this type of stuff.

1 hour ago, Generallee said:

Whats your setup ?

My computer setup is old:

16gb ram

2tb HDD

1050 ti

AMD fx 6350 (or something near there)

i dont remember the motherboard but its a Gigabyte one

I am using a XLR condenser mic with a phantom power supply plugged into my MOBO directly. No sound card or anything like that...

9 minutes ago, Trigger Moke said:

16gb ram

2tb HDD

1050 ti

I am using a XLR condenser mic with a phantom power supply plugged into my MOBO directly. No sound card or anything like that...

plugged in via usb ? or some XLR to phone jack cable ? those don't work. 

3 minutes ago, Trigger Moke said:

16gb ram

2tb HDD

1050 ti

By "plugged into my MOBO directly" you mean into the microphone in on your integrated sound?

Yeah... No.

XLR microphones are balanced low-impedance devices. The microphone in on the board is expecting an unbalanced high-impedance signal. Hence your noise and volume issues.

If you want to use an XLR mic you need an audio interface with microphone preamps. There's lots of them out there that connect to USB, Firewire, and Thunderbolt. The USB ones are relatively inexpensive compared to the other interface types and, honestly, it would take a whole lot of simultaneous channel inputs to saturate even USB 2.0 with audio.

The one I use for all my audio recording (guitar, bass, and vocals for music as well as for my radio show) is the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD. It has four XLR inputs. I have a feeling that might be overkill for you, though. I also have the UMC202HD for my on-the-run setup.

Search for UMC202HD using the LTT Amazon link (wherever the heck that thread is) and you'll find it for $59.99. Or you can buy it straight from Behringer, too, off their website, or Adorama, or a whole bunch of other sites.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]