Possible and worth it for me?

Hello,

I have own a rx 580 4gb and a r9 270x.

I also only have a 550w Gold psu. 

my electricity is $0.08580 /kW.h copy and pasted from my hydro bill

Can I mine with both cards off of the same psu and is it worth it for me to do with any particular type of cryptocurrency/mining software/crypocurrency exachange etc..... I don't care to make a big profit or anything. However, if I can make even $100...that would be cool ;) 

Thanks for your thoughts, opinions or sarcasm :)

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

RX 580 isn't a bad card to mine on, although most would recommend the 8Gb version.

If it were up to me, I'd mine on the 580 and fold on the 270X.

Assuming your power supply can support more than one GPU. Not sure what kind of power connectors you need for those cards, but I can only run my GTX 780 off my CX550M due to it needing 6 pin and 8 pin power connectors.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

BTC and all the coins just took a big hit, its only worth 8k for bitcoin right now probably the worst time to mine right now 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

RX 580 isn't a bad card to mine on, although most would recommend the 8Gb version.

If it were up to me, I'd mine on the 580 and fold on the 270X.

Assuming your power supply can support more than one GPU. Not sure what kind of power connectors you need for those cards, but I can only run my GTX 780 off my CX550M due to it needing 6 pin and 8 pin power connectors.

I'll have to look to see if there is another. I do believe it is sli/crossfire capable psu...I was worrried more about enough juice coming through the pipes. I believe both gpus are are around the 180w TDP range

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

2 minutes ago, LTTfanfromSweden said:

BTC and all the coins just took a big hit, its only worth 8k for bitcoin right now probably the worst time to mine right now 

Is this true of all cryptocurrencies or just BTC? I know that bitcoin is not only not doing as good, but also that the difficulty is astronomical. 

1 minute ago, Spudbilly said:

I'll have to look to see if there is another. I do believe it is sli/crossfire capable psu...I was worrried more about enough juice coming through the pipes. I believe both gpus are are around the 180w TDP range

It depends on the PCIe power, my PSU has 2 8pin cables that can split into 6+2pin cables, if yours is similar you should be mostly okay, as long as one GPU doesn't need more than one 8pin connector.

Is this true of all cryptocurrencies or just BTC? I know that bitcoin is not only not doing as good, but also that the difficulty is astronomical. 

Most of the big ones took a hit; BTC, ETH, and some others I forget the names of. But I think the top 4 or 5 took some pretty big hits.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

all of the main ones went down. BTC, ETH, LTC, BCH 

BTC from 10k to 8k, ETH from 1.1k to 800, LTC didnt take that much of a hit but it wasn't good in the first place  and BCH went from 1.2k to 1k

Go for it with the 580, the amount of coin you get hasn't changed, only the value.  If the market hits an upswing you're golden, if not you lose 20 bucks.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Go for it with the 580, the amount of coin you get hasn't changed, only the value.  If the market hits an upswing you're golden, if not you lose 20 bucks.

Do you say go for the 580 because of the psu limitation running both GPUS...or is the 270x just garbage???

I agree with your rationale though. :) 

Just now, Spudbilly said:

Do you say go for the 580 because of the psu limitation running both GPUS...or is the 270x just garbage???

I agree with your rationale though. :) 

580 is quite good at mining, the 270x is old and inneficient.  Maybe you could run both but I wouldn't, the psu will be more efficient with just the 580.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

6 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

bad time to mine, good time to buy!

do you think its only going to go back to 10k or will it stay at 8 like it stayed at 10 

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Up and Down the crypto goes. will it moon or crash, nobody knows!

what even factors on the price change? ive been trading awhile back but now thats its not as crazy I have not as much 

5 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Price is entirely determined by the market forces at play and what people think it's worth. It's pure supply and demand. 

Yes, I do hold some crypto. 

wait so since it takes a few days to transfer with a bank account if i sell it and it changed by then will I get the new price or what I sold it at?

11 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Depends on the exchange. 

Considering the fact that i don't care if i make a big or small profit...since i already own all the hardware, will it be worth it for the wear and tear on gpus/psu as well as i won't be able to keep it mining 24/7 due to productivity/gaming needs????