Should I buy a pre-built system?

In the cryptomining craze right now, as you guys all know, the price of GPU and RAM have all went up like hell, and it doesn't seem it's going to reduce anytime soon. So I'm considering a pre-built desktop. I have around $1000 to spend. What should I buy? Or should I wait for a little longer?

Go for it, prebuilt are the least effected.  Check out ibuypower and co. for prebuilts that perform well and use off the shelf parts.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

comes down to your budget. Think linus did a video on a bestbuy system.. u might wana check it out 

Well, buying used is also an option, also the high prices did not affect europe that much, depends from your location.

i agree .. just double check whom your buying things from .. Down here in BC Canada used GPUS, for example, are dime a dozen but at a high price but all are old worn out ex-mining cards. so just be carefull u know where there hardware from. just dont take there word for it

well ryzen+ and volta are probably going to be here soon, but if you have no system that will work for your needs, go right ahead and do what you need to do. but if you can stick it out for the next few months, there are going to be new ryzen cpus and nvidia might launch a new line of gpus soon. whether you need a new system right now is completely up to you though, and it's best that you know that you are not going to be getting any killer deals right now, and might find yourself upgrading sooner than you would like. if ram and gpu prices were where they should be, you could build a ryzen 5 1600 + gtx 1080 combo for just a tad over $1000. right now, you would be lucky to fit a 1060 into that budget, even with prebuilts.

28 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Well, buying used is also an option, also the high prices did not affect europe that much, depends from your location.

You sure that high prices did not affect europe that much? That's why in Romania, a bit East from you, a 1070 is almost doubled? xD 

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102357

or

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($198.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($81.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($101.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini ITX OC Video Card  ($457.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $971.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-02 03:26 EST-0500

Given that you aren't in the US, prebuilt might be cheaper.

good list. this is pretty much as narrowed down as you can get as far as options go.

1 hour ago, R3ep3r said:

You sure that high prices did not affect europe that much? That's why in Romania, a bit East from you, a 1070 is almost doubled? xD 

Well, the prices here have increased 20, 30 percent max. But I still think US is the most screwed.

If you are set on upgrading now, yes going prebuilt makes sense since you can scrap a lot of the parts later on for a future rebuild.  

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230227R (open box)

Basically $1250 after 8% off for:

• Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 (3.60 GHz)
  • 16 GB DDR4 16 GB Optane Memory
  • 2 TB HDD
  • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
  • Power Supply 600W

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227780

$2060 

• Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8700K (3.70 GHz)
  • 16 GB DDR4 
  • 2 TB HDD 240 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB GDDR5X

While I am not a huge fan of the iBuy Power PCs they are only a few hundred dollars at most over what you pay to build a PC and that isn't taking into account zero GPU stock and inflated GPU prices

so in a way yeah these prebuilts are a good deal

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"