Smaller Case Suggestions...?

DarthNeo1964

Right now I have a HAF 942 case,  had it for about 6 years, just wanna try something different.  The largest components inside are the Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard and an Nvidia GTX 970.

Any suggestions for a cool, smaller case?

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, DarthNeo1964 said:

Right now I have a HAF 942 case,  had it for about 6 years, just wanna try something different.  The largest components inside are the Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard and an Nvidia GTX 970.

Any suggestions for a cool, smaller case?

Thanks in advance!

its a atx board right?

i spent $3500(23,000dkr.) on building my pc and i only play csgo on low settings..

:Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700  CPU: Cooler: H100i v2  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming  RAM: Corsair Dominator 3000mhz 16GB  SSD: Kingston 960 GB  Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus viii Formula  PSU: Corsair RM 750x 80+ Gold  CASE: Coolermaster H500P

27 minutes ago, DarthNeo1964 said:

Nvidia GTX 970.

Stock reference card, or from an OEM board maker? Just making sure to make sure you dont have an extra long GPU or anything (not that they made a lot of big 970 coolers)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

the fractal design r6 is smaller and pretty good looking, only good reviews

i spent $3500(23,000dkr.) on building my pc and i only play csgo on low settings..

:Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700  CPU: Cooler: H100i v2  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming  RAM: Corsair Dominator 3000mhz 16GB  SSD: Kingston 960 GB  Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus viii Formula  PSU: Corsair RM 750x 80+ Gold  CASE: Coolermaster H500P

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Stock reference card, or from an OEM board maker? Just making sure to make sure you dont have an extra long GPU or anything (not that they made a lot of big 970 coolers)

GTX 970.jpg

Just now, DarthNeo1964 said:

-snip-

Ah, the EVGA 970 SSC. Nice I have the FTW version myself. A perfectly sized GPU.

At this point it depends on how small you want to go. There are small cases like the Fractal Design Define C/Meshify C, or smaller like the In win 303, or even smaller still with the Riotoro CR1088. If you dont need to go this small, another good high airflow case would be the Enthoo Pro M TG

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Ah, the EVGA 970 SSC. Nice I have the FTW version myself. A perfectly sized GPU.

At this point it depends on how small you want to go. There are small cases like the Fractal Design Define C/Meshify C, or smaller like the In win 303, or even smaller still with the Riotoro CR1088. If you dont need to go this small, another good high airflow case would be the Enthoo Pro M TG

Great input man...thanks!

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

CPU max height on that case is 122mm. You'll need one smaller than that

Two popular ones are the Cryorig C7

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Lbhj4D/cryorig-cpu-cooler-c7

And the Noctua NH-D9DX

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/szNypg/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd9dxi43u

Thanks again man!

On 2/3/2018 at 10:12 AM, DarthNeo1964 said:

Hey TVwashere...

How about this one, I kinda like the square shape design and would like to stay at or around $75...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

(Just getting back from the weekend)

That case is a Micro ATX (mATX) case, which will not fir your full sized aTX motherboard.

What abbout the Fractal Design Meshify C? Looks pretty good, and is small too. Will fit the ATX board and card fine.

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

1 hour ago, DarthNeo1964 said:

This should work, right?

Yeah, it should. Keep in mind that your PC will have a much larger footprint though. If you have the space for that, sure; Go for that.

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:26 PM, DarthNeo1964 said:

That would fit everything you need and be smaller than the 942, although honestly it's not significantly smaller than the case you have currently (again, depending on how small you want to go)

HAF X (942): 4660 cuin

HAF XB EVO: 3777.5 cuin

Meshify C: 2451 cuin (half the size of your current case)

If you really want to stick to square shaped, and dont mind it's only 75% as large as your current case, than the HAF XB would be fine, however if you're looking for smaller, you probably wont find a cube shaped design that is smaller (and under $75), as they tend to be bigger by design. 

9 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

That would fit everything you need and be smaller than the 942, although honestly it's not significantly smaller than the case you have currently (again, depending on how small you want to go)

HAF X (942): 4660 cuin

HAF XB EVO: 3777.5 cuin

Meshify C: 2451 cuin (half the size of your current case)

If you really want to stick to square shaped, and dont mind it's only 75% as large as your current case, than the HAF XB would be fine, however if you're looking for smaller, you probably wont find a cube shaped design that is smaller (and under $75), as they tend to be bigger by design. 

Thanks again for your help and comparison...

Now I am leaning toward this...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F86SX2133&cm_re=RIOTORO_CR1088-_-11-241-005-_-Product

I keep changing my mind...LOL!

1 hour ago, DarthNeo1964 said:

Thanks again for your help and comparison...

Now I am leaning toward this...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F86SX2133&cm_re=RIOTORO_CR1088-_-11-241-005-_-Product

I keep changing my mind...LOL!

The Riotor CR1088 is a great little case, the successor to the CR1080. It's one of the smallest cases on the market that still supports a full sized ATX motherboard, HOWEVER, again it's CPU height clearance is around 120mm, so your 160mm Hyper 212 will not fit.

Just to bug in, I was considering that case, but there is an issue with gpus, gpus wide should not be larger than 120mm too. and that includes the cable conecctions if they are on the side. My evga ftw 1070 does not fit on that case for example due to the wide.  Check your specs and size for your gpu.

On 2/12/2018 at 8:17 PM, TVwazhere said:

The Riotor CR1088 is a great little case, the successor to the CR1080. It's one of the smallest cases on the market that still supports a full sized ATX motherboard, HOWEVER, again it's CPU height clearance is around 120mm, so your 160mm Hyper 212 will not fit.

Yes...I will have to get a new cooler...should my 970 fit in the case?

Thanks again!

43 minutes ago, DarthNeo1964 said:

Yes...I will have to get a new cooler...should my 970 fit in the case?

Thanks again!

The 970 will definitely fit the case! The EVGA 9xx FTW series of coolers didnt get "taller" like the 10XX series did, so you wont run into the issue @Mytre did with his gpu.

If you want to stick to an Air cooled CPU cooler, these three would fit fine and are around or under $50

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xxphP6/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9i

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8pgPxr/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd9l

For an AIO, most people use 120mm versions but I've seen people successfully use a 240mm H100i as well.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

The 970 will definitely fit the case! The EVGA 9xx FTW series of coolers didnt get "taller" like the 10XX series did, so you wont run into the issue @Mytre did with his gpu.

If you want to stick to an Air cooled CPU cooler, these three would fit fine and are around or under $50

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xxphP6/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9i

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8pgPxr/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd9l

For an AIO, most people use 120mm versions but I've seen people successfully use a 240mm H100i as well.

Thanks again man, GREAT info!