Overwatch on wine poor performance.

so after an hour of tinkering, i managed to get Overwatch running in Wine.

i opened it up, all excited, went to the practice range, and started to play. but there was a problem.

performance was very poor.

my pc (specs in signature) on Windows can run the game at high/epic settings with antialiasing of at 50+fps.

but on wine, it's different. no matter what settings i use, i always get between 40/70 fps. i ran the game on high, and gradually lowered the settings to the lowest, but same fps.

and that's not the only thing. 40 fps sounds decent, but there are a lot of small hiccups that are very noticable when teleporting with tracer. and when eliminating one of the training bots the game stutters too.

software:

latest version of Overwatch

Wine 2.21 staging

Manjaro linux fully updated (kernel 4.14.15-1)

Nvidia proprietary drivers version 384.111

EDIT 4: the game so far is unplayable online. even on the lowest settings. it just lags out and starts running at 2 or 3 fps with 2 or more heroes in front of me.

She/Her

WineHQ officially lists performance as "garbage" so you're not alone, and it won't change until Wine is further improved.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17145

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

WineHQ officially lists performance as "garbage" so you're not alone, and it won't change until Wine is further improved.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Might just be a problem with Wine.

might be... i stopped battle.net itself and that seemed to help with the stutters. but what i find odd is if i turn the settings up to high the fps doesn't change, but the amount of hiccups do...

She/Her

13 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

might be... i stopped battle.net itself and that seemed to help with the stutters. but what i find odd is if i turn the settings up to high the fps doesn't change, but the amount of hiccups do...

Right, so WINE is a compatibility layer functioning as a drop-in replacement for Windows API calls that don't exist natively on Linux / Unix based systems. Because of this, you're essentially tricking games and applications into thinking they're running on Windows, so they can make the appropriate API calls needed to run. However, since WINE has to translate these API calls into POSIX / Unix commands, it will only ever offer performance as good as the developers are capable of reverse engineering.

Remember, WINE is not an emulator, and thus isn't interpreting every API call that Overwatch or Battle.net make, so if Blizzard has newer API calls than what WINE currently supports, Overwatch (and other programs with the same API calls) may perform like... well, garbage, or not run at all. I'm surprised you can even get above 30 FPS stable on your system, since last time I tried running WoW through WINE a few years back it was literally unplayable, despite running just fine on the exact same laptop under Windows.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

It could also be a refresh rate issue. Have you put any tearing fixes in place? Things like that might drop FPS. Do you have a G-Sync monitor? Is it working correctly in Linux? That wont explain stuttering, though. That might wey well be a wine/windows API/direct3d implementation issue.

Also, check winecfg -> "Staging" -> CSMT enabled and try toggling it. I don't play Overwatch so I can not give any specific instructions.

The state of graphics performance especially while gaming on wine is not good enough on Linux for (at least serious) competitive gaming (FPS / RTC / or any which require fast reactions and hiccupless gameplay).

Edited by Wild Penquin
a few missing words

28 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I'm surprised you can even get above 30 FPS stable on your system, since last time I tried running WoW through WINE a few years back it was literally unplayable, despite running just fine on the exact same laptop under Windows.

turns out i can't. whenever there are more than 2 heroes in front of me, the game starts stuttering and becomes like 3fps...

20 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

Also, check winecfg -> "Staging" -> CSMT enabled and try toggling it. I don't play Overwatch so I can not give any specific instructions.

that improved the general framerate, but not the stuttering.

i did notice my cpu was near 100% all of the time...

She/Her

overwatch.... i remember my college dorm mate from hell would literally yell talk into his mic 3 am in the morning playing on that game while i tried to gain some sleep so i can wake up for the 9AM physics lectures. Whats up with these blizzard games? they are there to feed the internet addictions. Use linux to help you quit.  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

That's perfectly normal with wine, you very rarely get the same performance as you would in windows. It's already impressive enough that it works. You can try a more recent beta build if you're feeling adventurous but don't expect miracles.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

22 hours ago, wasab said:

overwatch.... i remember my college dorm mate from hell would literally yell talk into his mic 3 am in the morning playing on that game while i tried to gain some sleep so i can wake up for the 9AM physics lectures. Whats up with these blizzard games? they are there to feed the internet addictions. Use linux to help you quit.  

i'm not like that. i just enjoy playing it. 

She/Her

On 31/01/2018 at 5:53 PM, firelighter487 said:

so after an hour of tinkering, i managed to get Overwatch running in Wine.

i opened it up, all excited, went to the practice range, and started to play. but there was a problem.

performance was very poor.

my pc (specs in signature) on Windows can run the game at high/epic settings with antialiasing of at 50+fps.

but on wine, it's different. no matter what settings i use, i always get between 40/70 fps. i ran the game on high, and gradually lowered the settings to the lowest, but same fps.

and that's not the only thing. 40 fps sounds decent, but there are a lot of small hiccups that are very noticable when teleporting with tracer. and when eliminating one of the training bots the game stutters too.

software:

latest version of Overwatch

Wine 2.21 staging

Manjaro linux fully updated (kernel 4.14.15-1)

Nvidia proprietary drivers version 384.111

EDIT 4: the game so far is unplayable online. even on the lowest settings. it just lags out and starts running at 2 or 3 fps with 2 or more heroes in front of me.

Wine lacks proper dx11 support. That's changing as wine 3.0 is now out, but you'll need to wait for the staging branch to catch up, as that may have large improvements.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

• 11 months later...

I know this is nearly a year old now, so hopefully this still helps!

You need Wine 3.0+

Or this plugin. (Not exactly a plugin, but best way to describe it.

https://lutris.net/games/overwatch/

Good luck and happy gaming!

Release a native Linux port. To do that, we just need to lobby the world governments to permanently banned microsoft windows. North Korea has done it with their red star OS. Everyone now follow suit!

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Anyway you could try asking this on the DXVK discord 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, firelighter487 said:

@MayDay did that. installed with Lutris and I even tried a beta version of Wine 4.0.

I found that the lutris installation was great, did you use esync and DXVK?

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's