Worth upgrading power supply?

_Froyo
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

The PSU is a decent Chicony unit in that Optiplex, but very low wattage (275W, I believe?), so if you do any upgrades like a better GPU, you're going to want to swap that out.

Hello, I'm new here.

So I've just recently gotten into PC building and I'm wondering if it's worth the money to upgrade my stock power supply. My computer is a budget build, but it does enough for what I want and the power supply I have right now has never given me any issues. However, after reading so many warnings about cheap power supplies and how they're basically fire hazards, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. It seems that there are plenty of experts on PSUs here, so I thought I'd throw the question out there.

Here are my system specs:

Spoiler

Dell Optiplex 790 MT

Intel Core i5-2400 at 3.1 GHz

GTX 1050

8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 RAM at 1333 MHz

tl;dr an optiplex 790 i5 with a gtx 1050 and more ram slapped in it

If I missed anything or need to give more info, just say so.

Welcome! ill claim the # first on your first post!

what brand of power supply? IMO ive used cheap ones before, and never had issues. and you specs dont seems hugely power demanding.

especially buisiness prebuilts are not as bad as people make them out to be, dell doesnt want damage claims on their hand for half an office building of dells spontaniously combusting from a mild power surge ;)

i'd say swap outt he power supply when/if you go for a bigger case and/or more powerful components like a higher end GPU.

43 minutes ago, _Froyo said:

Hello, I'm new here.

So I've just recently gotten into PC building and I'm wondering if it's worth the money to upgrade my stock power supply. My computer is a budget build, but it does enough for what I want and the power supply I have right now has never given me any issues. However, after reading so many warnings about cheap power supplies and how they're basically fire hazards, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. It seems that there are plenty of experts on PSUs here, so I thought I'd throw the question out there.

Here are my system specs:

Hide contents

Dell Optiplex 790 MT

Intel Core i5-2400 at 3.1 GHz

GTX 1050

8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 RAM at 1333 MHz

tl;dr an optiplex 790 i5 with a gtx 1050 and more ram slapped in it

If I missed anything or need to give more info, just say so.

I see no reason you should upgrade your PSU any time soon. I would not upgrade it until you upgrade your graphics card to something more power hungry. Although any GPU more powerful than a 1050ti would require a better cpu to avoid bottlenecking (an i7 2600 should be fine for anything up to about a GTX 1080).

The PSU is a decent Chicony unit in that Optiplex, but very low wattage (275W, I believe?), so if you do any upgrades like a better GPU, you're going to want to swap that out.

Alrighty, good to know it'll be fine for now. I'll be sure to upgrade it when I get more powerful hardware in my PC. Thanks, everyone!