I am soundphobe, help!

HunterScott
Go to solution Solved by kilgore_T,

my mate recommends this

Gaming Audio Series™ SP2500 High-power 2.1 PC Speaker System

me.... I would get a cheap focusrite scarlett and a pair of Yamaha studio monitors

I have very little knowledge about anything audio based, and have been for the past couple of years, been using a cheap edifier 2.1 set up for my sound needs.

Recently, the sound from my meager little set up has started becoming tinny and distorted, so I do believe that an upgrade is needed. When possible (mainly when the kid is not asleep) I do like to play games and watch videos using my sound system rather than via my headset.

So here is my predicament, I have a budget of around £400 and need to purchase whatever sound equipment I may require to have a decent little set-up. Surround sound isn't desirable, potentially a small 2 speaker or 2.1 set up. I had a hope of maybe a small amp/pre-amp - speaker set up, but I literally have zero knowledge about sound hardware. Researching sound equipment also tends to make me more confused as to what I would actually need!

Thank you in advance for any help!

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Mini Desktop | Mac Mini | Core i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD x2

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Laptop | Lenovo Thinkpad Edge | Intel Core i5 | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.

my mate recommends this

me.... I would get a cheap focusrite scarlett and a pair of Yamaha studio monitors

9 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

my mate recommends this

One of my father-in-law's shops has two Yamaha HS-8's that he can let go for £200, I've been eyeing these up for the past couple of weeks but I've been unsure of I'd actually hook these up.

Would it be standard speaker wire  - 6mm jack and straight into the back of a pre-amp/amp?

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.

you need 1/4 inch instrument cable or a trs-xlr cable.... the yamahas have both inputs

as long as the preamp amp has 1/4inch balanced outputs then you are good to go

like on the focusrite scarlett 2i2

preview.jpg

Just now, kilgore_T said:

you need 1/4 inch instrument cable or a trs-xlr cable.... the yamahas have both inputs

as long as the preamp amp has 1/4inch balanced outputs then you are good to go

like on the focusrite scarlett 2i2

preview.jpg

That is the Focusrite I've literally just been looking at. Thank you very much for your help, I think I'll go ahead with the Focusrite/Yamaha set up! Would you recommend any accessories to go along with this USB interface?

― Charles Bukowski

or pick up a second hand MOTU :)

cool the focusrite is a good piece of kit

only thing I would recommend with that setup is a pair of AKG 702s :)

200 for the hs8's is a bargain

7 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

or pick up a second hand MOTU :)

cool the focusrite is a good piece of kit

only thing I would recommend with that setup is a pair of AKG 702s :)

200 for the hs8's is a bargain

The AKG's look pretty neat, I kinda dig the 'bare bones' look that they rock! I'll definitely have a look at those. The MOTU's I've seen look okay, but in terms of aesthetic's I'd definitely pick the Focusrite over the MOTU!

My father-in-law own's a chain of pawnshops, so I'm lucky enough to grab items at cost price!

― Charles Bukowski

On 30/01/2018 at 1:39 PM, kilgore_T said:

nice one......the hs8's are sweet and that's a great price

Plot twist.

I found a nearly new SP2500 on eBay for £100, luckily the chap selling it was within 30 miles of my location so I managed to snag another £20 off just by collecting it.

I must say, the improvement in sound quality in comparison to my old little Edifier set up is magnificent! I managed to bag the HS8's today, so I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks researching Focusrites and pick the one that best suits me (or i believe best suits me). I'll then migrate the SP2500 over to my consoles and use it for console gaming.

Thank you once again for your help, @kilgore_T.

― Charles Bukowski