used GPUs

joey151

so with the current prices of GPUs,it kinda sucks to do new builds now,was thinking about used gpus,i found some good prices on stuff like gtx 970 and 960,tho i don't really trust pre used gpus,you never know,for exemple one of the gtx 970s was used for like a year and a half
what do you guys think?is it a good idea to get used GPUs or should we just wait for the prices to go down,even tho it might take forever.
also what are your advices on buying used parts (GPUs,CPUs etc)

1 minute ago, joey151 said:

so with the current prices of GPUs,it kinda sucks to do new builds now,was thinking about used gpus,i found some good prices on stuff like gtx 970 and 960,tho i don't really trust pre used gpus,you never know,for exemple one of the gtx 970s was used for like a year and a half
what do you guys think?is it a good idea to get used GPUs or should we just wait for the prices to go down,even tho it might take forever.

depends on the gpu. if you go for a 1060/1070/1070TI/1080/1080TI those cards a relatively new so they cant have been used for long. side note: if the card was used by miners its probably f*ed.

2 minutes ago, joey151 said:

Buying used hardware is acrually fine, gpus and stuff usually live to around 10 years of age. Even after 5 years it should have plenty of life.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, Genericplane said:

depends on the gpu. if you go for a 1060/1070/1070TI/1080/1080TI those cards a relatively new so they cant have been used for long. side note: if the card was used by miners its probably f*ed.

Just purely mining with a card would do less than running a game like gta 5 for the same amount of time

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

Just purely mining with a card would do less than running a game like gta 5 for the same amount of time

really? i assumed the constant use of the card would depreciate the card faster.. well im no genius, thus im accustomed to being wrong :P

Just now, Genericplane said:

really? i assumed the constant use of the card would depreciate the card faster.. well im no genius, thus im accustomed to being wrong :P

Running gta 5 at 100% usage 24 hrs a day for 7 days would cause the same or more theoretically than mining for the same amount of time. (Theoretically anyway)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Running gta 5 at 100% usage 24 hrs a day for 7 days would cause the same or more theoretically than mining for the same amount of time. (Theoretically anyway)

Yeah but noone runs games 24/7... But people do mine 24/7.

Just now, dannolt said:

Yeah but noone runs games 24/7... But people do mine 24/7.

Rip like 2 years of life. Oh no.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, joey151 said:

I think its a good idea to go used. Cooler fans are probably the first thing that will fail unless the card was heavily OC'd.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Calling out used mining cards and note knowing anything about it is pretty ignorant. 

Nothing wrong with a used card. 5 out of my last 6 are used. 4 of which I still currently use. Been over a year with 3 if them and one was used to mine and was even a refurbished card. 

Gonna buy some mined 1080ti cards when the time comes as I don't care much for the new gen card when it comes. 

If you can test it, do so. If its online like ebay, do so from a reliable seller and know you will be taken care of if something happens in your buying period. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

over here UK, we have a shop called CEX which is kind of a pawn brokers type setup. they give two year wty on any product . I picked up a 780ti a couple of months back just over £100 for spare setup . if you can find something like that then well worth it in todays market .till prices drop

It's hard to go with something that's used. This is not just with computer parts, but anything that has some sort of moving parts or usage. That said, it's normal to be weary over buying used. You don't know what that card was used extensively (mining or not). Anyone can lie and say whatever they want to make what they are selling look great. It seems it's all about passing their problems off to someone else and making money doing it.

Skepticism aside, going used is probably the best way right now. The previous two generations of higher end GeForce cards still run well with many of today's games. They aren't the complete best, but in this market, it's better to tide yourself over with one of those for the time being, rather then spend a 200%+ markup on new cards. Maybe when the new cards come out, you can snipe one as soon as it is released in an e-tailer.

Ultrima Z238EC: Ryzen 7 3800X @ stock, Enermax AquaFusion AIO w/ 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans, ASRock Taichi X570, Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 AMP!, 2x8GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200MHz, Lian Li Lancool II Case