Change MacOS App Icons

I've tried the copy/paste into "Get Info" pane trick, but I can't get that trick to work for Safari or other default MacOS apps. Any ideas, or places I can find ways to change the icons in my Launchpad/Dock? Thanks! 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

I found this: https://freemacsoft.net/liteicon/

when I was browsing twitter and saw a github page about changing VS Code icons https://github.com/dhanishgajjar/vscode-icons

How to Contribute

• Download the sample icon sketch file.
  • Sample file has separate color layers, it makes it easy to for anyone to change colors.
  • Change the colors and create your icon, without changing any dimensions.
  • Select the artboard and export a svg file.
  • Select the artboard again and export a png file, but @0.25x (256 x 256)
  • Download the Image2Icon App
  • Drop the svg as source and export a .ICNS for macOS
  • If you can afford pay for in-app purchases, so you can also export to .ico. If not then find an alternative way to create a .ico file from a svg
  • Send pull request for icon files only, DO NOT commit the sample sketch icon file

How to Install

Mac OS:

Easiest way to change the icons is by using https://freemacsoft.net/liteicon/. Just Drag and Drop the custom icon and hit Apply Changes.

Copy the .icns file you'd like to use. Find VS Code in your Applications folder, right click the icon and select Get Info. Click the icon in the top right corner so that a blue highlight appears around it. ⌘ + V to paste the new icon in. It may take a few restarts of VS Code for the icon to take.

If for some reason that doesn't work, then dragging the .icns to the icon (in the top left) of the info pane, until you see the green plus sign and then dropping it works.

^ from the github page, just skip the strikethrough lines (remember to make your png a 256x256 image because they recommend it)

9 minutes ago, mikat said:

I found this: https://freemacsoft.net/liteicon/

when I was browsing twitter and saw a github page about changing VS Code icons https://github.com/dhanishgajjar/vscode-icons

How to Contribute

• Download the sample icon sketch file.
  • Sample file has separate color layers, it makes it easy to for anyone to change colors.
  • Change the colors and create your icon, without changing any dimensions.
  • Select the artboard and export a svg file.
  • Select the artboard again and export a png file, but @0.25x (256 x 256)
  • Download the Image2Icon App
  • Drop the svg as source and export a .ICNS for macOS
  • If you can afford pay for in-app purchases, so you can also export to .ico. If not then find an alternative way to create a .ico file from a svg
  • Send pull request for icon files only, DO NOT commit the sample sketch icon file

How to Install

Mac OS:

Easiest way to change the icons is by using https://freemacsoft.net/liteicon/. Just Drag and Drop the custom icon and hit Apply Changes.

Copy the .icns file you'd like to use. Find VS Code in your Applications folder, right click the icon and select Get Info. Click the icon in the top right corner so that a blue highlight appears around it. ⌘ + V to paste the new icon in. It may take a few restarts of VS Code for the icon to take.

If for some reason that doesn't work, then dragging the .icns to the icon (in the top left) of the info pane, until you see the green plus sign and then dropping it works.

^ from the github page, just skip the strikethrough lines (remember to make your png a 256x256 image because they recommend it)

Changes VSCode's icon is already doable, the issue is apps like Safari, Messenger, and Reminders. The copy/paste trick doesn't work, and I can't alter the .icns files because MacOS freaks out at me when I do (I don't remember the exact error, but it really isn't happy with me when I try it). I'll give that Liteicon thing a try though, thanks. 

Current Desktop:

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Ah. El Capitan apparently introduced some kind of security measure that prevents any change to system icons. RIP my blue themed desktop haha. 

Current Desktop: