Can I run bitcoin off a custom computer?

Is it possible to run bitcoin with two Asus Strixs GTX 960 4gb OC edition cards (for the love of god do not ask me to get rx 580s or gtx 1080ti cards) and an i7 4790 as I want to do this to get some cash on the side? If I can, are there any good calculators to calculate how much I could make a week? I don't have the money to buy one of those asicminers or whatever there called as I don't see me somehow collection thousands of dollars to buy one.

EDIT: I just want to know if this hardware could run bitcoin, that's all really.

No , mining bitcoin with gpus is pointless. Mine something else maybe etherum, zcash, monero idk

Edit: it is possible, just not profitable after asics

Edited by Thermosman

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

It's always possible to mine on any hardware, the problem is the strain it puts on your components and the cost of your electricity.

Here's a link to a site that allows you to calculate your mining power and readability, take it with a grain of salt though.

EDIT: and indeed, mine altcoins, not bitcoin.

10 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

No , mining bitcoin with gpus is pointless. Mine something else maybe etherum, zcash, monero idk

Edit: it is possible, just not profitable after asics

this ^

6 hours ago, !WhoAmI! said:

Is it possible to run bitcoin with two Asus Strixs GTX 960 4gb OC edition cards (for the love of god do not ask me to get rx 580s or gtx 1080ti cards) and an i7 4790 as I want to do this to get some cash on the side? If I can, are there any good calculators to calculate how much I could make a week? I don't have the money to buy one of those asicminers or whatever there called as I don't see me somehow collection thousands of dollars to buy one.

EDIT: I just want to know if this hardware could run bitcoin, that's all really.

mining other coins will give you more profit than bitcoin, id start with eth until you are more comfortable and willing to spend time on other coins. also, you can't 'run' bitcoin, you are mining for it.

well there is no such thing as "run bitcoin" there is MINING bitcoin but doing that on GPU's is not profitable at all, you would actually LOSE money to electricity costs, now that hardware could definitely be used to MINE ALTCOINS but with current payouts it would probably be like a dollar a day after electricity costs depending on your electricity costs.

As soon as ASICs are built in number to mine a particular coin's algorithm, GPU mining of that coin becomes unfeasible. In Bitcoin ASIC usage is so entrenched that even older tech ASICs can't compete with later generation ones.

Some alt coins are specifically designed to be ASIC resistant, like Eth for instance. This is why they are a popular choice amongst GPU miners.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

this is a rubbish idea, you will get nothing and maybe $1 after 10years but that is hardly profitable. Get an ASIC or mine ethereum/zcash instead.

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

On 1/29/2018 at 11:59 PM, Daniel644 said:

well there is no such thing as "run bitcoin" there is MINING bitcoin but doing that on GPU's is not profitable at all, you would actually LOSE money to electricity costs, now that hardware could definitely be used to MINE ALTCOINS but with current payouts it would probably be like a dollar a day after electricity costs depending on your electricity costs.

What coin would you recommend newbies look at and mine, say top 3.

To the OP - If you want action on Bitcoin, play the Bitcoin market by buying and selling on the open market. You should read up on how to read graphs.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

What coin would you recommend newbies look at and mine, say top 3.

depends on your hardware, like I've got a Ryzen 5 1600 OC'd to 3.9 Ghz that pulls in well over a dollar a day even with the current drop in coin values across the board where the 6700k OC'd to 4.5 Ghz does about 50-65% of what the 1600 does. And a Titan Xp and 1080ti will run basically the same performance on many coins except for Ethereum based coins where the Titan Xp will do about 10% better (titan xp stock is 1080ti tuned, 1070 tuned is 1080ti stock) because of the faster memory bus/memory clockspeed so a Titan Xp can earn more then a 1080ti mining ethereum (or even other coins today due to the LOW LOW values on many coins) but 2 weeks ago ethereum was pointless to mine on either card because other coins paid out more, you really just gotta find what coins do best each day for your hardware and switch as needed. a good starting point for new miners is to use Nicehash but don't let the auto switching do it's thing, run a benchmark and find the most profitable coin and mine that one that day then redo the benchmarks the next day and see if things changed, i've got 3 or 4 coins from 3 different pools that I jump between depending on which is paying best.