HELP ME!

so this is my win2000 retro gaming pc. I was going to use it the other day for some half life 1 but I got a blue screen (inaccessible boot device) here is a link. for the record i dont usually use this pc like this i have it closed and in the corner

When is the last time you had it working? Its got to be what... 18ish years old?

1 minute ago, kensylvia said:

When is the last time you had it working? Its got to be what... 18ish years old?

Older then most people here at LTT

1 minute ago, kensylvia said:

the last time i had it working was the 20th. that's the last time i played half life and nascar 2000 on it

1 minute ago, Jakepaulspinnerdabemoji said:

the last time i had it working was the 20th. that's the last time i played half life and nascar 2000 on it

Does it do the same every time you start it up? I'd be hesitant to say the hdd is borked if you're getting the Win2000 splash every time

23 minutes ago, kensylvia said:

I bet a Raspberry Pi could compete with this thing for compute performance at this point lol

I dunno about that

Pi would win!

I agree with everyone else. 

It's the hard drive.

Hard drives are super easy to replace even in old computers so don't fret doing that. It's easy. 

You're going to want an old school PATA drive I imagine.

Something that old would definitely still use ribbon cables.

9 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I agree with everyone else. 

It's the hard drive.

Hard drives are super easy to replace even in old computers so don't fret doing that. It's easy. 

You're going to want an old school PATA drive I imagine.

Something that old would definitely still use ribbon cables.

The complicated part is reinstalling an OS (i.e. finding install media for an OS that's compatible with that hardware)

how about all of the drivers, will i have to get those again as well, because this was a prebuilt home pc, and an old one at that.

9 hours ago, Jakepaulspinnerdabemoji said:

how about all of the drivers, will i have to get those again as well, because this was a prebuilt home pc, and an old one at that.

Just open the computer, read what's on the motherboard, find the model number (it's usually around the center). If it's a gigabyte board, find the revision number too.

Go search for it on the support page of the manufacturer of the motherboard (ex: Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, etc)

and go to the driver section.

You just have to enter what type of windows you're using and whether it's 32 or 64 bit and it'll give you all of the drivers you need for that. You don't need to install all of them though. If you have a video card, you don't need the VGA one. You won't need the RAID driver if you don't have a RAID array as well. Usually best to avoid the utilities too on older computers. Then it's just getting the driver for you video card which is pretty much the same set of steps but on your video card manufacture's site.