Trouble with CPanel/WHM DNS

TheNuzziNuzz
Go to solution Solved by TheNuzziNuzz,
1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Ah, OK then it's definitely not a new domain registration problem. I know cPanel very well, however I don't touch much to do with DNS stuff because the internet has made this way more complicated than it needs to be. You should be able to set the nameservers to subdomains on that domain, but I'm not sure how that'd get configured on the technical end of things so hopefully someone who knows more about the backend of hosting configuration can reply here, or you can check with cPanel's own forums.

I figured it out. I had to add hostnames for the nameservers pointing to my WHM (dns) server IP through my registerer GoDaddy. Thank you for your help.

I have a new server with fresh install of WHM/Cpanel. I setup the hostname as my domain name, which I have registered. However when I enter the name into the browser (Port 2086 for WHM) the browser says it cannot connect. Which sorta makes sense. So what Nameservers am I supposed to enter for my domain name? I installed Bind through WHM as a nameserver, which set the nameserver to ns1.mydomain.com which obviously can't work if mydomain.com isn't resolving in the first place. So I'm just utterly confused.

Thank you for the help!

Computers r fun

21 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I have a new server with fresh install of WHM/Cpanel. I setup the hostname as my domain name, which I have registered. However when I enter the name into the browser (Port 2086 for WHM) the browser says it cannot connect. Which sorta makes sense. So what Nameservers am I supposed to enter for my domain name? I installed Bind through WHM as a nameserver, which set the nameserver to ns1.mydomain.com which obviously can't work if mydomain.com isn't resolving in the first place. So I'm just utterly confused.

Thank you for the help!

How long ago did you register your domain? If it hasn't been more than 2 - 72 hours and your domain isn't resolving to even the base nameservers that your domain registrar set by default, that means that you'll need to wait for your domain DNS to propagate across the internet before it'll resolve at all. Some registrars systems get this taken care of in 2 hours or less (Hover.com is epic) and others take up to 3 days (Netfirms and other EIG owned companies, I'm looking at you) so you might need to wait longer.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

How long ago did you register your domain? If it hasn't been more than 2 - 72 hours and your domain isn't resolving to even the base nameservers that your domain registrar set by default, that means that you'll need to wait for your domain DNS to propagate across the internet before it'll resolve at all. Some registrars systems get this taken care of in 2 hours or less (Hover.com is epic) and others take up to 3 days (Netfirms and other EIG owned companies, I'm looking at you) so you might need to wait longer.

I've had the domain for years. Im migrating to my own VPS. I don't know what nameservers to set it to, so I set it to ns1.mydomain.com and realized that i can't set it to itself and i've since been stuck.

Computers r fun

15 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I've had the domain for years. Im migrating to my own VPS. I don't know what nameservers to set it to, so I set it to ns1.mydomain.com and realized that i can't set it to itself and i've since been stuck.

Ah, OK then it's definitely not a new domain registration problem. I know cPanel very well, however I don't touch much to do with DNS stuff because the internet has made this way more complicated than it needs to be. You should be able to set the nameservers to subdomains on that domain, but I'm not sure how that'd get configured on the technical end of things so hopefully someone who knows more about the backend of hosting configuration can reply here, or you can check with cPanel's own forums.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

I figured it out. I had to add hostnames for the nameservers pointing to my WHM (dns) server IP through my registerer GoDaddy. Thank you for your help.

Computers r fun