CPU kill Mobo, Mobo kill new CPU?

Ironclad17

So I tried delidding my 6700K and I butchered the traces. Motherboard wouldn't post, would power up but it's a uATX with no error code LEDs or anything. Tried clearing CMOS several times, no luck. I bought a 7700K because I just wanted it working and move on. Just put it in today, and now it will power cycle once then not post. So did my damaged 6700K destroy my mobo? If so then did I also destroy the brand new 7700k? Where should I go from here? Do I RMA the 7700K and just move to a new platform or should I gamble with another z170m board and hope the 7700K is still good?

I'm currently overseas and shipping is a nightmare.

Dead things can take other dead things with it. RMA the 7700k with hope that Intel would send you a new one. Annnnd replace the mobo.

When did you buy that Z170 board/what bios is on it? Does the bios support kaby lake cpus?

I doubt you managed to kill your motherboard, and I certainly doubt you killed your 7700k.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you didn't update the BIOS on your board to support the 7700K you're not going to get anything from it. Get a Z270 board.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

So you're leaning to the motherboard being fine. Hypothetically if I just go into a local repair shop, have them put in a Pentium temporarily, and update the BIOS, you think the 7700K should POST no problem? That would be the fastest solution, I suppose. It would at least confirm the state of the motherboard.

10 minutes ago, Ironclad17 said:

So you're leaning to the motherboard being fine. Hypothetically if I just go into a local repair shop, have them put in a Pentium temporarily, and update the BIOS, you think the 7700K should POST no problem? That would be the fastest solution, I suppose. It would at least confirm the state of the motherboard.

yup.

Z170 needs a BIOS update for Kaby Lake CPUs.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic