How hard is installing a SSD?

The_Phenomenal_One

Hello guys, I have a quick question. So, I wanna get a SSD but I am super paranoid about installing stuff myself because if I break something I can't replace it easily. That being said..how hard is it to install a SSD. Few things, I have a 1tb WD black hard drive already in there Imma keep and I plan on adding a m.2 as a pure windows booter way down the line.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Ultra-Gaming-rev-10#kf

Thats my mobo, any tips, videos, or how tos would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, duffman91 said:

Thanks I always thought the sata ports were super small

That depends on the case for the most part. It's generally hardest in things like laptops and AIO PCs as they sometimes need to be partially disassembled to install an SSD. 

Seeing as you're using a full size board though, it will be easy. 

You literally just need to slot it into the M.2 slot, press it down to the board (if it requires any force, stop pushing and see if you can reseat it in the connector as it shouldn't require any force). Once it is flat on the board, screw in the M.2 screw. It doesn't need to be tight, just enough to hold the drive in. 

The software part is easy as well. There's loads of guides on how to do it, so a quick Google and you'll have one to follow. 

Out of 10, it's normally a 1/10 for difficulty if it's not in a laptop or AIO system. 

EDIT: If it's SATA, then you just need to position the SSD somwhere in the case, connect up a SATA power cable from the PSU and a SATA data cable from the SSD to the motherboard. None of the connectors can be plugged in wrong as they're all keyed and won't fit if it's not meant to connect to something. SSDs don't have any moving parts either, so mounting it isn't a big concern. I have mine held in with velcro, but I've just left them dangling before and they're fine. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

That depends on the case for the most part. It's generally hardest in things like laptops and AIO PCs as they sometimes need to be partially disassembled to install an SSD. 

Seeing as you're using a full size board though, it will be easy. 

You literally just need to slot it into the M.2 slot, press it down to the board (if it requires any force, stop pushing and see if you can reseat it in the connector as it shouldn't require any force). Once it is flat on the board, screw in the M.2 screw. It doesn't need to be tight, just enough to hold the drive in. 

The software part is easy as well. There's loads of guides on how to do it, so a quick Google and you'll have one to follow. 

Out of 10, it's normally a 1/10 for difficulty if it's not in a laptop or AIO system. 

The m.2 is down the line getting a normal sata 6 drive for now. Are all the sata spots on that board sata6?

Just now, The_Phenomenal_One said:

The m.2 is down the line getting a normal sata 6 drive for now. Are all the sata spots on that board sata6?

On that board, yes, they're all SATA 3 ports (which is 6Gbps). I edited my post with some info for SATA too. 

Thank you guys so much, its nice to know this is idiot proof, cause I don't trust myself

So I was digging around my case. I have a multi SATA power strip in it, but my GPU is in the way. Is it normal to have to take out the GPU?

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2018 at 5:56 PM, The_Phenomenal_One said:

So I was digging around my case. I have a multi SATA power strip in it, but my GPU is in the way. Is it normal to have to take out the GPU?

Eh no not really...

If you are just talking switching power cables of the gpu then that's okay (just unlucky)