Computer takes a long time to start or reboot.

Go to solution Solved by Ace McPlane,
On 1/23/2018 at 11:17 AM, Icuw1pc said:

If it was a memory issue you would have a lot more issues than that, it's not usually specific to tasks like that.

I think I figured it out.

It was a windows update for update 1709 that wasn't doing it's install after resetting. No matter how many times I restarted, it still showed as needing a restart in windows update so I uninstalled it, reinstalled it and now it's not doing it anymore.

EDIT: There was more too it. There's some sort of compatibility issue or something going on with certain keyboards and this motherboard. Changing some bios settings seems to have helped, but I'll have to wait and see for sure if this problem comes back. I changed the USB settings in the bios to full initialization and changed the xHCI setting from smart auto to auto, and disabled the asmedia driver for the 2 extra sata ports since I've read that driver causes issues. I also had to uninstall some bad Asus utilities in windows that were causing issues.

It even takes a long time to get into the bios sometimes.

This is an asus maximus hero VII and an i7 4790k 

MRC Fastboot is already enabled.

My bios is one update away from the newest. I'll probably update it later, but from what I've read on forums, it seems that doesn't fix it.

Not sure where to go from here.

My MSI z97 pc mate was really quick to boot so not sure why a much more expensive asus mobo would have this problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Is it normal for this motherboard?

Have you looked at what is all running at startup, depending on what version of windows you are running you can access the startup settings. By either running msconfig or accessing the startup tab in Task Manager.

Having tons of applications running during startup will definitely affect both of those tasks, I just run the bear essentials in my windows startup config

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

If you have a lot of stuff hooked up to your machine (internally or externally) the motherboard may take some time to identify all of those devices so they can show up in the bios and be properly detected by your operating system.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

Have you looked at what is all running at startup, depending on what version of windows you are running you can access the startup settings. By either running msconfig or accessing the startup tab in Task Manager

No, I'll try that but I don't think that's it. 

Like I said, sometimes it takes up to 2 minutes just to get into the bios without even trying to load windows.

I know it's set in the bios to only load the mouse and keyboard USBs at startup.

Haven't checked windows startup stuff yet but it's a fresh install and would explain the bios thing.

Just now, Sauron said:

If you have a lot of stuff hooked up to your machine (internally or externally) the motherboard may take some time to identify all of those devices so they can show up in the bios and be properly detected by your operating system.

I have honestly never experienced this in my entire life, I've got literally every USB port filled on my work machine and haven't had a single issue with startup time.. Not to mention this machine has a HDD not SSD and is filled with Government SDC bs,

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I just have an active USB extension, plugged into a hub with my keyboard and mouse dongles plugged in and another non-active extension with my xbox controller USB dongle plugged in.  Normally I have 4 oculus sensors and an HMD usb plugged into this computer. Before I changed motherboards, it didn't have a problem loading regardless.

I will try that though.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

No, I'll try that but I don't think that's it. 

Like I said, sometimes it takes up to 2 minutes just to get into the bios without even trying to load windows.

I know it's set in the bios to only load the mouse and keyboard USBs at startup.

Haven't checked windows startup stuff yet but it's a fresh install and would explain the bios thing.

I honestly might try rolling back a firmware version to see if anything changes, if there is no difference just reinstall the current.

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

I have honestly never experienced this in my entire life, I've got literally every USB port filled on my work machine and haven't had a single issue with startup time.. Not to mention this machine has a HDD not SSD and is filled with Government SDC bs,

I've seen that on older computers. I had an XP machine that did that years ago.

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

I honestly might try rolling back a firmware to see if anything changes, if there is no difference just reinstall the current.

There's one newer bios. Do you think I should just update to the newest one instead of rolling back?

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

It depends on a lot of factors, namely the type of device and which controllers on the motherboard are being used. A more advanced motherboard is likely to have more features it needs to look after.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I just have an active USB extension, plugged into a hub with my keyboard and mouse dongles plugged in and another non-active extension with my xbox controller USB dongle plugged in.  Normally I have 4 oculus sensors and an HMD usb plugged into this computer. Before I changed motherboards, it didn't have a problem loading regardless.

I will try that though.

There may be settings in the bios that allow you to skip thorough checks which are usually unnecessary.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

There may be settings in the bios that allow you to skip thorough checks which are usually unnecessary.

Cool, I think I'll update or roll back the bios either way too.

I forgot to mention, but the bios actually froze or my mouse and keyboard stopped working at one point.

Not sure which.

That's concerning to me.

I've never had a bios freeze up before.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

There's one newer bios. Do you think I should just update to the newest one instead of rolling back?

Yea definitely the new version first, it might fix issues with performance or bugs. But if the case still applies with the new firmware I would definitely try some previous versions.  

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

Cool, I think I'll update or roll back the bios either way too.

I forgot to mention, but the bios actually froze or my mouse and keyboard stopped working at one point.

Not sure which.

That's concerning to me.

I've never had a bios freeze up before.

Definitely a firmware bug if you as me, the only other slight and I mean slight chance could be memory but just switch dim slots to change config or leave one out and cycle.

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

Definitely a firmware bug if you as me, the only other slight and I mean slight chance could be memory but just switch dim slots to change config or leave one out and cycle.

Okay, I'm going to do more research on this then. 

I'll check it out to see if anyone else had problems with bios updates for this board before deciding to roll back or update. I think we're getting snow tonight so I'll wait for a safer time to do it.

Yea, the memory is used so that could be it too, but I don't think. I did a memory test and they passed without issues. Might try an Aida64 stress test on the memory to do a more aggressive check of it.

It actually might be that my keyboard and mouse are plugged into USB 3.0 instead of 2.0 according to one forum..

huh.

19 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Okay, I'm going to do more research on this then. 

I'll check it out to see if anyone else had problems with bios updates for this board before deciding to roll back or update. I think we're getting snow tonight so I'll wait for a safer time to do it.

Yea, the memory is used so that could be it too, but I don't think. I did a memory test and they passed without issues. Might try an Aida64 stress test on the memory to do a more aggressive check of it.

If it was a memory issue you would have a lot more issues than that, it's not usually specific to tasks like that.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:17 AM, Icuw1pc said:

It was a windows update for update 1709 that wasn't doing it's install after resetting. No matter how many times I restarted, it still showed as needing a restart in windows update so I uninstalled it, reinstalled it and now it's not doing it anymore.

EDIT: There was more too it. There's some sort of compatibility issue or something going on with certain keyboards and this motherboard. Changing some bios settings seems to have helped, but I'll have to wait and see for sure if this problem comes back. I changed the USB settings in the bios to full initialization and changed the xHCI setting from smart auto to auto, and disabled the asmedia driver for the 2 extra sata ports since I've read that driver causes issues. I also had to uninstall some bad Asus utilities in windows that were causing issues.

15 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

That's awesome! glad you got it figured out