Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

philips hue alternatives

rgb leds arent expensive. philips is making so much margin on them...

what alternatives are there?

do u need a philips hue hub if u want voice control lights with google home?

I want to set up a smart home, but everything is expensive...

4 minutes ago, pomkon said:

rgb leds arent expensive. philips is making so much margin on them...

what alternatives are there?

do u need a philips hue hub if u want voice control lights with google home?

I want to set up a smart home, but everything is expensive...

Yes you need the philips hue hub to control your lights at all.

I have Sylvania Lightify. I'm not sure if it works with google home but it definitely cheaper. 

8 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

t LTT Video out:

no mentions if other ecosystems can be voice controlled by google home/ apple....

wemo can be but very little customization

i just dont understand with the price philips hue is charging... why isnt there another company trying to share the pie. competition is always great for consumers.

2 minutes ago, pomkon said:

no mentions if other ecosystems can be voice controlled by google home/ apple....

wemo can be but very little customization

i just dont understand with the price philips hue is charging... why isnt there another company trying to share the pie. competition is always great for consumers.

I guess Philips was just first to market. I would just wait until something new comes out, especially since there are tech conventions coming soon.

6 minutes ago, Bransonb3 said:

I have Sylvania Lightify. I'm not sure if it works with google home but it definitely cheaper. 

there is osram as well. i guess philips pays youtuber so well, i have never heard of these ecosystems...

osram and lightify are the same thing I think cause osram's logo is the controller's box

2 minutes ago, Bransonb3 said:

osram and lightify are the same thing I think cause osram's logo is the controller's box

on newegg 4 rgb led without hub is 100usd, not that cheap....

what do u have? at what price?

16 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I guess Philips was just first to market. I would just wait until something new comes out, especially since there are tech conventions coming soon.

ffs. philips has its gen3 light bulbs... how much longer. i swear quite abit of the price is for advertisements & promotions, done quite well to overshadow all other brands..

2 minutes ago, pomkon said:

ffs. philips has its gen3 light bulbs... how much longer. i swear quite abit of the price is for advertisements & promotions, done quite well to overshadow all other brands..

Looks like there are more compatible lights than I thought. Here is a list of compatible lights and more.

Ikea Tradfri are cheaper and compatible with Hue gateway. This was the answer provided from the support when asking for documentation or hue compability. 

Can recommend Xiaomi RGB lights, have 9 of them throughout my home and they're awesome!

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 1700X with EK Supremacy Elite, 2x GTX1080TI with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2x 8gb Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 14CL, 256gb Samsung 960 Evo, Xigmatek Elysium (modded), 140mm, 360mm and 420mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX, 5x Noctua NF-A14, 3x Noctua NF-F12

On 23/01/2018 at 6:41 PM, Pangea2017 said:

Ikea Tradfri are cheaper and compatible with Hue gateway. This was the answer provided from the support when asking for documentation or hue compability. 

voice controlled by google home?

1 hour ago, pomkon said:

voice controlled by google home?

I don't have the hub yet but they should work with voice command. To good with the Hue hub is that you can use even the first gen hubs which are cheaper then $10 on ebay.

23 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

I don't have the hub yet but they should work with voice command. To good with the Hue hub is that you can use even the first gen hubs which are cheaper then $10 on ebay.

i now understand u. i would imagine philips would make its philips hue hub exclusive only to philips.....

any of them are rgb?

too bad cant find it on local ikea website, but on usa ikea...

3 minutes ago, pomkon said:

i now understand u. i would imagine philips would make its philips hue hub exclusive only to philips.....

any of them are rgb?

too bad cant find it on local ikea website, but on usa ikea...

In Germany they are aviable since some months, maybe you have to wait a little more or just ask Ikea.

Hue bulbs are using zigbee and ikea bulbs are using the same protocol (after a update which where released some time ago). The original Ikea hub is also google home compatible. 

You can not use the ikea remote with the hue hub but hue remotes over the hue hub with the ikea bulb.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:54 PM, Almostbauws said:

Yes you need the philips hue hub to control your lights at all.

Not really. You can also use a smart things hub or an amazon Alexa echo plus, or a wink hub.  There are many options. The hue hub is probably the most limited option.

53 minutes ago, Shutter said:

Not really. You can also use a smart things hub or an amazon Alexa echo plus, or a wink hub.  There are many options. The hue hub is probably the most limited option.

No. The hue bridge is still needed. It connects to your router and it is the piece that speaks to the lamps themselves, and when using alexa for example you speak to alexa, alexa speaks to the router, router speaks to bridge, bridge speaks to lamp. Please dont talk about things that you have done no research about or own.

10 hours ago, Almostbauws said:

No. The hue bridge is still needed. It connects to your router and it is the piece that speaks to the lamps themselves, and when using alexa for example you speak to alexa, alexa speaks to the router, router speaks to bridge, bridge speaks to lamp. Please dont talk about things that you have done no research about or own.

i see. is that a hue bridge alternative? some chinese made cheap communication device?

21 hours ago, pomkon said:

i see. is that a hue bridge alternative? some chinese made cheap communication device?

no there isnt.

On 02/02/2018 at 1:46 AM, Almostbauws said:

no there isnt.

ok, i will just have to buy the overpriced philips hue starter kit