Watercool outside?

AT0MAC

I just got a crazy idea.

I barely have room for a proper water cooling setup in my case of choice, but I own a big house and have my home office/game room right next to our roofed carport.

Wondering If I could build a rig with either one very powerful pump, or 2 pumps tandem, and then have a big rad outside on the wall,  tubes running into were the computer is on the other side of the wall.

I would only need to make 2 very small holes in the wall, corresponding to the diameter of the tube, and my best guess is I would not even need to put fans on the rad, as I live in Denmark were temperatures is somewhere between -10 to +25C around the year.

The whole idea started when I was looking up random parts and stumbled upon this product from Koolance.

Its rated for PC use down to -35C!

Actually, as I sit looking at it it could be an idea to use extender pieces from the rad and in, would need like 2 pieces for a total of around 80mm to reach trough the wooden plank I have right under my ceiling (its not brick wall all the way up) and into the rad. Then on the other side, use quick disconnects like these directly attached to the extenders and use EK ZMT tubes inside the room, so its real easy to route into the PC (also so I can actually disconnect it in the event of an upgrade or maintenance).

My Gaming PC: 27833

Literally all I have to say.... (please no)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Literally all I have to say.... (please no)

I know, but I live in a much colder place and would not need that big a distance from outside and in, its around 1 meter in total from rad and to cpu

What the post said above me. 
Its not a good idea. You won't be able to move your PC for any reason, not even to dust it of, or clean under it, the longer the tube the higher the risk of leaks and also: a radiator outside even in Denmark could fail in cooling enough. Imagine a day where there is not much wind in the summer. Your rad will be directly in the sun. Even in Denmark that can get temperatures up considerably. 

you will be better of buying a bigger case. It'll be cheaper as well. 

1 minute ago, Ansger said:

What the post said above me. 
Its not a good idea. You won't be able to move your PC for any reason, not even to dust it of, or clean under it, the longer the tube the higher the risk of leaks and also: a radiator outside even in Denmark could fail in cooling enough. Imagine a day where there is not much wind in the summer. Your rad will be directly in the sun. Even in Denmark that can get temperatures up considerably. 

you will be better of buying a bigger case. It'll be cheaper as well. 

Well, its under a carport with a roof that I would put the rad, so there is no chance of of sunlight hitting the rad.

As im also saying, I would use a quick disconnect system and have rubber tubes run to the blocks, so its real easy to disconnect and move around.

Let me try mock it up in sketch up and show what I have in mind

It seems that you have your mind made up, so why ask for advice?  :P

Do your thing.  Learn from the experience, whether good or bad.

Post a build log and pictures when done. 

This thread seems pointless.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

2 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

Well, its under a carport with a roof that I would put the rad, so there is no chance of of sunlight hitting the rad.

As im also saying, I would use a quick disconnect system and have rubber tubes run to the blocks, so its real easy to disconnect and move around.

Let me try mock it up in sketch up and show what I have in mind

another idea is to just buy a bigger case. It won't cost more than the equipment and materials you need to make this happen. Remember that you will eventually have to reseal the holes in your house when you move out/ or you want to do something else with the room. I know you don't have plans for this but these are physical alterations to your house you are talking about. 
Also something to note: the risk of water damage to your walls. You are essentially drilling holes to the outside of your house. 

Just invest in a 60 crown case aand call it a day. It's easier, cheaper, and safer. There is literally NO REASON that your idea would be better in any way.             

You could just put the rad outside your case, not outside your house lol

If you have a full ATX case you should be able to mount it using the rear fan mounting holes and make 2 holes somewhere around, of course you'll have to use a fan to mount it and it'll need 8 screws (4 for the fan-rad holes and 4 for the fan-case holes)

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

25 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

It seems that you have your mind made up, so why ask for advice?  :P

Do your thing.  Learn from the experience, whether good or bad.

Post a build log and pictures when done. 

This thread seems pointless.

Its not pointless in my opinion, I think it could actually work because of the whole way my house is designed, the way the build is setup and the place I live (because of weather conditions).

Im asking in case anyone come up with ideas I have not though about, usually the whole point of having a forum is to vent ideas or solve problems.

I have not build anything yet, and not even sure I will, but the whole idea in my mind seems actually doable.

24 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

You could just put the rad outside your case, not outside your house lol

If you have a full ATX case you should be able to mount it using the rear fan mounting holes and make 2 holes somewhere around, of course you'll have to use a fan to mount it and it'll need 8 screws (4 for the fan-rad holes and 4 for the fan-case holes)

Well yes, I have not mentioned my rig is setup inside a big cabinet, it could actually work placing the rad somewhere else in there, but then the fans would have to move the warm air into the room it self and that's kind of the point, I already now feel the room getting warmer when I game. I would really like to move the warm air somewhere else (and also the noise, which is why the PC is inside a cabinet in the first place.

As it is now I open the door on the cabinet when I game, would just really like to not have to do that.

44 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

-SNIP-

It's doable but you also need to make sure you don't have things get too cold since your going to run into condensation issues when the temps are below ambient inside the home. personally I would recommend to do two separately isolated loops one for the exterior and another for the interior using a heat exchanger.

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's doable but you also need to make sure you don't have things get too cold since your going to run into condensation issues when the temps are below ambient inside the home. personally I would recommend to do two separately isolated loops one for the exterior and another for the interior using a heat exchanger.

Ahh yes, specially in winter that could end up being an issue....

Hmm im just thinking, what about if I put the rad inside the house, but with fans that suck in cold air from outside - would condensation still be an issue?

Would need some much more serious holes, like a rad grill mounted outside the house, but could be done (I have a ton of tools from renovating the house)

Could make a slider mechanism so the grill can be reduced and even closed when not in use.

The two separate loop idea, I don't really catch your drift, are we talking peltiers?

Just now, AT0MAC said:

Ahh yes, specially in winter that could end up being an issue....

Hmm im just thinking, what about if I put the rad inside the house, but with fans that suck in cold air from outside - would condensation still be an issue?

Would need some much more serious holes, like a rad grill mounted outside the house, but could be done (I have a ton of tools from renovating the house)

Could make a slider mechanism so the grill can be reduced and even closed when not in use.

The two separate loop idea, I don't really catch your drift, are we talking peltiers?

Yes that would still cause an issue since whenever your introducing colder than ambient air to a rad or portion of a loop, it will condensate or in that case freeze the rad. For winter if you keep the fluid constantly flowing and with ethylene glycol it won't freeze but your going to have to no matter what content with condensation. Ideally you would have a heavy load that is constantly warming up the loops. 

For the dual loop no, it would be a two isolated loops ones exterior loop and one interior loop that will help alleviate some issues with freezing and somewhat curb some of the major condensation issues. Your heat excharger will basically transfer the cooling and heating but have the two completely separate. 

https://koolance.com/hxp-193-compact-plate-heat-exchanger

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

For the dual loop no, it would be a two isolated loops ones exterior loop and one interior loop that will help alleviate some issues with freezing and somewhat curb some of the major condensation issues. Your heat excharger will basically transfer the cooling and heating but have the two completely separate. 

https://koolance.com/hxp-193-compact-plate-heat-exchanger

oh that looks interesting!

If I understand correct, it has two separate chambers alongside each other were the coldest liquid will lower the temp by just running up against the other chamber without them mixing?

something like this

zL5T4u.png

As mentioned, my gaming system is inside a cabinet up against one of the outer walls, the covered carport is right outside and there is a wooden portion between the brick wall and the beginning of the house roof.

its in that wooden part I have options of utilizing the cold from outside to keep the cabinet door closed and still have awesome performance.

I just did a mockup in sketchup so you guys can see the special arrangement I have going on

1AURBz.png

7iPWuM.png

4 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

oh that looks interesting!

If I understand correct, it has two separate chambers alongside each other were the coldest liquid will lower the temp by just running up against the other chamber without them mixing?

something like this

Yes essentially keeping the PC on it's own loop and exterior by itself. This will condensate a lot since it's basically the point where hot meets cold, the cold side would need to be insulated and the PC side should not have any issues as long as it's kept at a constant temp or kept on constantly. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yes essentially keeping the PC on it's own loop and exterior by itself. This will condensate a lot since it's basically the point where hot meets cold, the cold side would need to be insulated and the PC side should not have any issues as long as it's kept at a constant temp or kept on constantly. 

I would hook it up in a way so its of course only running when the PC is on, could be done with something like this also from koolance.

So one pump services just the rad -> heat exchanger -> reservoir

The other pump services -> heat exchanger -> cpu -> rad inside case -> reservoir

So the pump unit is maybe up there were I have a shelf, together with the heat exchanger.

As I understand you, the heatexchanger thingy should be insulated, like with some neoprene sheeting or similar?

22 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

I would hook it up in a way so its of course only running when the PC is on, could be done with something like this also from koolance.

So one pump services just the rad -> heat exchanger -> reservoir

The other pump services -> heat exchanger -> cpu -> rad inside case -> reservoir

So the pump unit is maybe up there were I have a shelf, together with the heat exchanger.

As I understand you, the heatexchanger thingy should be insulated, like with some neoprene sheeting or similar?

You want to keep the exterior loop as far away from the PC as possible cause it will condensate any tubing res, pump and such, it will all condensate if the exterior temps are lower than interior. 

Also for the cabinet you should consider punching out some fan holes or grill in it if there is a door on there, you still need airflow over components even when it's water cooled. 

well after sleeping on it I have come to the conclusion, it would be actual doable in my situation with dual loops, heatexchanger and all - but it would be a lot of work and waste of money.

i will find another way to keep my temps and noise down, this was not the right choice.

thank you for the help guys

have a look at this one

it is exactly the same as yours

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

13 minutes ago, MaratM said:

have a look at this one

it is exactly the same as yours

Yes i have seen it, its pretty cool what he did, in my case it would be too expensive but for someone making a living of building computers and having the needs he have, it totally makes sense