How do I setup led strips?

AtomicWaveBlast

So I bought led strips that dont come with a usb or anything you have to solder them yourself... so wondering what parts do I buy? (also the id like it to plug into usb not a wall outlet)

Example - 8dSOvH4.jpg

1 minute ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

So I bought led strips that dont come with a usb or anything you have to solder them yourself... so wondering what parts do I buy? (also the id like it to plug into usb not a wall outlet)

Example - 

From what I can tell that is a 12V LED strip so you can't run it off USB as it's onyl 5V and can't provide the power needed if it was a 5V LED strip. As it's a single color LED strip all you would need is a 12V regulated power supply that is capable of powering all of those LED strips. 

-Moved to Hobby Electronics- 

You could power them with a Molex connector from your power supply that's what I did you will have to do some soldering most likely but all it needs is ground molex to black wire and yellow to the red wire.

molexpinoutdiagram.jpg

40 minutes ago, zak rooley said:

You could power them with a Molex connector from your power supply that's what I did you will have to do some soldering most likely but all it needs is ground molex to black wire and yellow to the red wire.

molexpinoutdiagram.jpg

So I can just take a molex off a old psu or something?

7 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

So I can just take a molex off a old psu or something?

Yes for a pc

For wall you would need a 12 volts DC . Look for a old power block like for a phone... Just make sure proper voltage, 

1 hour ago, zak rooley said:

molexpinoutdiagram.jpg

Will this work?

JTPKQh7.jpg

46 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

Will this work?

That is the wrong end of the molex connector you want a male molex so it can plug into the PSU. 

Related image

Just now, W-L said:

That is the wrong end of the molex connector you want a male molex so it can plug into the PSU. 

Related image

I can plug this molex into another molex...

35 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

I can plug this molex into another molex...

The molex that comes off the PSU or any adapter is going to be female, unless you have a custom made or odd ball adapter it won't connect. 

Image result for psu molex

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

The molex that comes off the PSU or any adapter is going to be female, unless you have a custom made or odd ball adapter it won't connect. 

Image result for psu molex

The molex came off a molex To 3pin fan

7 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

The molex came off a molex To 3pin fan

Ok but that doesn’t resolve the problem as it’s the wrong connector for molex if you want to directly plug it into the PSU. You need to use a male molex. 

19 minutes ago, W-L said:

Ok but that doesn’t resolve the problem as it’s the wrong connector for molex if you want to directly plug it into the PSU. You need to use a male molex. 

Meh ill try it anyways

42 minutes ago, W-L said:

Will it blow my pc up or somethin if I do do this?

6 hours ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

Not at all you just can't plug them together but you have the right idea. I didn't have any connectors so i just cut the wires and soldered them together. Not much can go wrong with this so long as the black wire is from the LEDs is on one of the middle two if the red was on the 5V it would just be less bright

8 hours ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

It won’t blow up but i’m not sure how your attempting to connect this since they PSU and LED connector will be the same and don’t match together. This isn’t what you need to connect them, what I see in your photo is the connector on th the left. 

U12-41872_chiclet01_ac_mn_1802498.jpg

Just return the strip and get something that's ready to use as is. It's frankly not worth the hassle and extra expense.

5 hours ago, W-L said:

It won’t blow up but i’m not sure how your attempting to connect this since they PSU and LED connector will be the same and don’t match together. This isn’t what you need to connect them, what I see in your photo is the connector on th the left. 

Ill plug the molex into another molex it doesnt have to be to the psu

3 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Just return the strip and get something that's ready to use as is. It's frankly not worth the hassle and extra expense.

1. Cant return 2. Its ez to solder 

5 hours ago, W-L said:

Also I do have a male molex it has black wires but I lined it up with the other so I know which is yellow... but it has a 2 pin fan header connected to it

4 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

Also I do have a male molex it has black wires but I lined it up with the other so I know which is yellow... but it has a 2 pin fan header connected to it

Snip off the two pin fan header, as long as it's a male molex with 12V it will directly interface with the PSU.

Just now, W-L said:

Snip off the two pin fan header, as long as it's a male molex with 12V it will directly interface with the PSU.

Oke fan header cable will still be in there a little but so do I put electrical tape over it?

1 minute ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

Oke fan header cable will still be in there a little but so do I put electrical tape over it?

Yeah just tape over the fan connector pins as long as it doesn't short out with something it's alright. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yeah just tape over the fan connector pins as long as it doesn't short out with something it's alright. 

Oke