Your thoughts on mining and the GPU shortage?

Jrasero
2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Oh, just so the people claiming "just do a lot of legwork and you can find a card for MSRP"...

In the past few days the 1st tier retailers have bumped prices up considerably.  Price for a RX 580 in the retail channel (distributor to retailer prices) is now $350+.  I am sure that the price of NV cards behind the scenes is not far behind.

If you don't know what this means...  The prices are on a LONG TERM and universal upward trend now.  Effective MSRP is now ~30% higher.

Well on another note my personal projection is that Volta MSRP is even higher if it ever comes out

a 2080 starting near $1k?

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

6 minutes ago, Kryten2x4z said:

I also was going to build my father a rig for photography.  But even, the what is supposed to be lesser expensive cards, are now double their msrp. 

My friend normal doesn't but that's just how he is.

Well for photography doesn't require a heavy GPU, better spent on the processor and RAM (Also heavily overpriced).  

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487290

A 1050 Ti would be fine, some would argue you could even do a 1050 or some form of integrated 

at the moment in stock $9 over MSRP

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"