Is this motherboard capable of running with Ryzen 7 1800X

Zakara

Hey guys,

I recently added some new parts to my PC and have made the switch to Ryzen 7 due to being a content creator. I'm trying to resolve an issue with my system where every so often it will just black screen and reboot itself.

I was told earlier today on another thread that I was silly to pair the "Asus STRIX B350-F GAMING" with the "Ryzen 7 1800X" together. I am essentially asking someone to verify if this is true as I have seen companies selling these components in a bundle.

I have just ran a stress test using Prime95 for 5 hours and no issues presented themselves, no random crashes, and all tests passed on all threads for the CPU.

Temperatures remain very low at an average of 28 degrees at idle and maximum of 48 degrees at full load during the torture test. I know for a fact that airflow/cooling is not the issue.

I've played Battlefield 4 on the system for around 5 hours yesterday using "Ultra" for every setting and there was no issue.

I'm wondering if it seems like an issue with software or hardware, I also freshly installed Windows 10 earlier today.

My build:

AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor

Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING Z 8G

Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Corsair - CXM 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Samsung Evo (cant remember number) 180GB SSD

Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive

Western Digital 3TB Hard Drive

Thank you for reading,

Jack.

Yup you can overclock it too

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, Zakara said:

I have just ran a stress test using Prime95 for 5 hours and no issues presented themselves, no random crashes, and all tests passed on all threads for the CPU.

Five hours isn't always enough time to find any stability issues. Try stress testing for 24-48 hours.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thanks guys!

If you had to pin the issue of the random reboots on anything, what would you say is most likely?

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Five hours isn't always enough time to find any stability issues. Try stress testing for 24-48 hours.

Okay thanks man! I'll leave it running for longer later today.

Just now, johnukguy said:

Did you do a clean OS install, with an updated BIOS and the latest chipset drivers from AMD from their website?

There were two options with regards to cleaning the OS.

One was just to remove the files and reinstall windows, and the other was a more thorough process which would have taken considerably longer. The only reason I didn't do that was because I was given an error message on that option.

I downloaded all of the drivers from AMD, but I will check everything over again.

hell no, grab a x370 prime pro at the minimum unless you want to fry those vrms 

5 minutes ago, Zakara said:

There were two options with regards to cleaning the OS.

One was just to remove the files and reinstall windows, and the other was a more thorough process which would have taken considerably longer. The only reason I didn't do that was because I was given an error message on that option.

I downloaded all of the drivers from AMD, but I will check everything over again.

That's likely the issue then. Try a completely clean install, on an updated BIOS with the disk formatted, not with an old OS install on there. The latest AMD chipset drivers are only a couple of weeks old, so those may help if you had the previous chipset drivers. Also, it's worth checking that you have UEFI set up properly, rather than legacy boot or somesuch.

Just now, cj09beira said:

hell no, grab a x370 prime pro at the minimum unless you want to fry those vrms 

There is always ways to keep the vrms cool. I am running the 1800x on pretty much the same vrm design. Even worse. But i use a downdraft cpu cooler to cool the vrms actively. Even in my node 202 i can OC no problem up to 4 GHz

10 minutes ago, Zakara said:

Thanks guys!

If you had to pin the issue of the random reboots on anything, what would you say is most likely?

I would recommend since you are using an aio that you provide some active airflow to your vrms too and see if it changes stability