Starting to mine ETH and XMR?

Hello!

I'm interested in getting started with mining a crypto-currency. I am currently looking at ETH and XMR and am currently using MinerGate. I get around 250H/s on XMR and around 2.6MH/s on ETH and am only mining with my GPU. Any recommendations? 

SPECS:

CPU: Intel i7 6700K

GPU: MSI Afterburner GTX 970 4GB

PSU: Corsair Semi-Modular 750W

MOBO: Asus Z170-A

Richard

DON'T USE MINERGATE, it massively lies about the hashrates

I just got through with some tweaking and I'm getting 270ish H/s on my 6700k which is on the low side from what I'm seeing reported online, you do XMR/CryptoKnight on the CPU and you do Eth or something else on the GPU, I suggest switching to Nicehash personally (especially if you are looking to cashout on what you earn and not hold it forever, being in the USA it's easier to cashout there via Gdax, for next to no fee, right to your bank account), if you do get the Legacy Miner listed for AMD cards and run the Benchmark, you will likely see the second Nist5 (ccminer_alexis) to be the most profitable coin, uncheck all others and mine JUST that one coin

as for your CPU settings the 2 big ones for me where to set the CPU Affinity so it only uses the 4 actual cores (when mining XMR on CPU you want to take the L3 Cache amount of your CPU and divide by 2, thats the MAXIMUM number of cores you should have mining otherwise you are actually hurting your hashrate and you want to enable HWLock see here for HWLock http://awesomeprojectsxyz.blogspot.com/2017/11/windows-10-home-how-to-enable-lock.html

and here for CPU Affinity

they also suggested setting Prefetch to TRUE on each core but I didn't see any performance change and remember after making these changes to always run Nicehash as Administrator, if you mine to Nicehash internal Wallet you get paid out ever .001 BTC (about 12 bucks right now) and can transfer for FREE to Coinbase once you get .002 BTC (24 dollars) and from Coinbase you free transfer it to Gdax (part of your Coinbase account) where you can then sell it for a 0.25% fee (about 6 cents on the 24 dollars) and then deposit the cash right into your bank account for free.

16 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

DON'T USE MINERGATE, it massively lies about the hashrates

I just got through with some tweaking and I'm getting 270ish H/s on my 6700k which is on the low side from what I'm seeing reported online, you do XMR/CryptoKnight on the CPU and you do Eth or something else on the GPU, I suggest switching to Nicehash personally (especially if you are looking to cashout on what you earn and not hold it forever, being in the USA it's easier to cashout there via Gdax, for next to no fee, right to your bank account), if you do get the Legacy Miner listed for AMD cards and run the Benchmark, you will likely see the second Nist5 (ccminer_alexis) to be the most profitable coin, uncheck all others and mine JUST that one coin

as for your CPU settings the 2 big ones for me where to set the CPU Affinity so it only uses the 4 actual cores (when mining XMR on CPU you want to take the L3 Cache amount of your CPU and divide by 2, thats the MAXIMUM number of cores you should have mining otherwise you are actually hurting your hashrate and you want to enable HWLock see here for HWLock http://awesomeprojectsxyz.blogspot.com/2017/11/windows-10-home-how-to-enable-lock.html

and here for CPU Affinity

they also suggested setting Prefetch to TRUE on each core but I didn't see any performance change and remember after making these changes to always run Nicehash as Administrator, if you mine to Nicehash internal Wallet you get paid out ever .001 BTC (about 12 bucks right now) and can transfer for FREE to Coinbase once you get .002 BTC (24 dollars) and from Coinbase you free transfer it to Gdax (part of your Coinbase account) where you can then sell it for a 0.25% fee (about 6 cents on the 24 dollars) and then deposit the cash right into your bank account for free.

Hey!

Thanks for your response. I originally wanted to mine with NiceHash but their miner is just not working for me. I've tried everything including contacting their support to no avail...

Just now, rf9661 said:

Hey!

Thanks for your response. I originally wanted to mine with NiceHash but their miner is just not working for me. I've tried everything including contacting their support to no avail...

the new V2 miner has issues, try the Legacy and see if it works for you.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

Will try it now...

6 minutes ago, rf9661 said:

Will try it now...

7 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Which version should I download from GitHub? Version 1.8.2.0 Pre-release 2 or 1.8.1.5?

1 minute ago, rf9661 said:

Which version should I download from GitHub? Version 1.8.2.0 Pre-release 2 or 1.8.1.5?

it's the 1.8.1.6 latest version

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

it's the 1.8.1.6 latest version

Hey:

I'm having some trouble... after I downloaded it. I opened the 'get_started.pdf' and it says to run 'nicehashminer.exe' but that is not in the files that were downloaded. There is 'nicehashlegacyminer.exe' but when I 'Extract All' and then 'Run', nothing happens...

11 minutes ago, rf9661 said:

Hey:

I'm having some trouble... after I downloaded it. I opened the 'get_started.pdf' and it says to run 'nicehashminer.exe' but that is not in the files that were downloaded. There is 'nicehashlegacyminer.exe' but when I 'Extract All' and then 'Run', nothing happens...

hmm, NicehashLegacyMiner is the EXE you need to run are you running from the folder you extracted to or the still zipped folder?

hmm, NicehashMinerLegacy is the EXE you need to run are you running from teh folder you extracted to or the still zipped folder?

Good point, I never extracted the ZIP

Good point, I never extracted the ZIP

yeah you HAVE to extract everything or it won't work

yeah you HAVE to extract everything or it won't work

When I extract them into another folder on my desktop, 'NiceHashMinerLegacy.exe' doesn't extract. Would you mind taking over my computer with TeamViewer lol

When I extract them into another folder on my desktop, 'NiceHashMinerLegacy.exe' doesn't extract. Would you mind taking over my computer with TeamViewer lol

what I was about to suggest DM me the ID and password