Gigabit Issues

Ryan West
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Both ends must be capable of reading and writing at up to 125 MB/s ... you may have SSD on your computer, but what's on the other computer?

I usually install a ftp server on one end (filezilla ftp server can be installed in minutes) and use ftp client (filezilla ftp again) on other pc to transfer with up to 10 simultaneous threads, saturating the connection.

Copying from shares just one file may not give you the highest transfer rate due to overhead and quality of service things in windows and other crap.

For best tests, try using a RAM disk on both computers , see for example ImDisk RAM Drive (free, simple) : https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/

As for "optimizing" , the only thing I can think of that could speed gigabit would be to set Jumbo frames at some high value that's supported by ALL ethernet cards connected to the switch, and which is also supported by the switch itself.  (if the switch has management, see what options it has, otherwise download the datasheet, manual and see what it says there)

Jumbo frames can reduce cpu usage at high speeds, but all ethernet cards must use the same value otherwise it can affect the network.

Ok, so I am working on gigabit networking for my house and I have everything configured correctly. It starts off at like 111 megs/s then it goes down to 25-50 megs/sec. I am writing to an SSD (writes at 333 megs/s). What can I do? Please help.

How are you testing? Are you moving a single large file or a folder with a bunch of random files?

Wired from end to end?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

How are you testing? Are you moving a single large file or a folder with a bunch of random files?

Wired from end to end?

I am testing with one large file, wired end to end.

Both ends must be capable of reading and writing at up to 125 MB/s ... you may have SSD on your computer, but what's on the other computer?

I usually install a ftp server on one end (filezilla ftp server can be installed in minutes) and use ftp client (filezilla ftp again) on other pc to transfer with up to 10 simultaneous threads, saturating the connection.

Copying from shares just one file may not give you the highest transfer rate due to overhead and quality of service things in windows and other crap.

For best tests, try using a RAM disk on both computers , see for example ImDisk RAM Drive (free, simple) : https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/

As for "optimizing" , the only thing I can think of that could speed gigabit would be to set Jumbo frames at some high value that's supported by ALL ethernet cards connected to the switch, and which is also supported by the switch itself.  (if the switch has management, see what options it has, otherwise download the datasheet, manual and see what it says there)

Jumbo frames can reduce cpu usage at high speeds, but all ethernet cards must use the same value otherwise it can affect the network.

Just now, Ryan West said:

I am testing with one large file, wired end to end.

Can the end you're send it from read/send that fast? I know you said SSD on one side but how about the other?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Can the end you're send it from read/send that fast? I know you said SSD on one side but how about the other?

A HDD that can read at like 125 megs/s. 

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Ryan West said:

A HDD that can read at like 125 megs/s. 

Yes, in theory.  The file would have to be continuous (not fragmented) and towards the beginning of a mechanical drive (as you go towards the end speeds decrease) and the speed will be affected if other applications request data from the drive  (drive has to move its heads in other positions to read or write data and the seek time slows down the transfer)

Here's a typical hdd throughput for a mechanical drive ... not my picture, just some random google search

seagateXT2TB_hdtach.jpg.53543880a66a04e65206da915e9f8342.jpg

if you had this drive, then if your file was in the 1 TB to 2 TB area, you're not gonna get more than 100 MB/s from the drive ( picture shows some random Seagate 2 TB SATA drive)

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Yes, in theory.  The file would have to be continuous (not fragmented) and towards the beginning of a mechanical drive (as you go towards the end speeds decrease) and the speed will be affected if other applications request data from the drive  (drive has to move its heads in other positions to read or write data and the seek time slows down the transfer)

Here's a typical hdd throughput for a mechanical drive ... not my picture, just some random google search

seagateXT2TB_hdtach.jpg.53543880a66a04e65206da915e9f8342.jpg

if you had this drive, then if your file was in the 1 TB to 2 TB area, you're not gonna get more than 100 MB/s from the drive ( picture shows some random Seagate 2 TB SATA drive)

Thanks! I got it working thanks to you!