Memory: Am I okay here or did I screw up?

I can't believe I made this mistake,

but I was hasty and ordered the wrong ram.

This is the compatibility message I get in pcpartpicker:

• The Corsair - Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

Now, I've heard that 1.65 volts actually works fine with most haswell chips and that I can ignore that.

Does anyone have experience with an asus maximus vii hero, an i7 4790k and 2400mhz ram at 1.65v and can confirm that?

Haswell is apparently not supposed to exceed 1.575 according to pcpartpicker. 

I'm getting some seriously mixed information on this.

If not, I'm guessing I'll have to set the timings and voltage manually.

It's going to just automatically reduce the voltage when I start it if it's not compatible right?

My hardware is new enough to do that right?

I don't want to fry my CPU here just to try it.

Anyways, I'm ashamed of this mistake and will not repeat it.

Better ask some questions before I make any other stupid mistakes today :P

Any tips or answers to my questions will be appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($452.99 @ PC-Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design - Celsius S36 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($153.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory 
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($172.68 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($199.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Red) 69.7 CFM  120mm Fan  ($8.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM  140mm Fan  ($16.00 @ Vuugo) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM  140mm Fan  ($16.00 @ Vuugo) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM  140mm Fan  ($34.85 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM  120mm Fan  ($34.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM  120mm Fan  ($34.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Other: Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card - Interface USB 3.0 4-Port Express Card Desktop with 15 Pin SATA Power Connector, [ Include with A 4pin to 2x15pin Cable + A 15pin to 2x 15pin SATA Y-Cable ]  ($37.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1565.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-15 19:20 EST-0500

holy case fan batman, that's 10% of your budget in fans O_o

kvjux.jpg

also why the heck would you get haswell i7 for 450$?!?!?!?! that's an overall pretty dumb build here, is it your old pc or are you actually planning on purchasing all that? Because don't buy all that xD. About the ram issue, i really find it weird because if what pcpartpicker say is true, they probably did'nt sell a lot of that ram, as pretty much everything from this time would get this message on pcpartpicker.

1 hour ago, Howitz said:

holy case fan batman, that's 10% of your budget in fans O_o

kvjux.jpg

also why the heck would you get haswell i7 for 450$?!?!?!?! that's an overall pretty dumb build here, is it your old pc or are you actually planning on purchasing all that? Because don't buy all that xD. About the ram issue, i really find it weird because if what pcpartpicker say is true, they probably did'nt sell a lot of that ram, as pretty much everything from this time would get this message on pcpartpicker.

That's just the pcpartpicker list I used to organize it and show the parts.

That way you get the product pages with specs.

This is a build put together from my old setup to a new one where I upgraded parts over a few years. Those prices aren't what I paid. That's just what pcpartpicker has them listed at.

I built the original one years ago when haswell wasn't old yet.

Lots of the parts are also used not new as well.

I got the Asus maximus VII hero for 123 usd for example.

Shipping to Canada with import fees and all that crap made it $211 though of course.

The Noctua NF-F12's are also from the old computer.

The biggest item I spent on was the GTX 1080 since I bought that when it was new.

Money better spent too since upgrading my CPU, mobo, and ram at the time wouldn't have gained me as much for VR and gaming in general. I had a 970 in there before which was just enough.  The CPU also overclocks to 4.7ghz easy with good temps so it's not one I feel rushed to upgrade.

It's not something I built recently anyways, I was just upgrading my ram so I could give my old ram to my dad. I got a really good deal since it was sold in Canada and it was an impulse buy really. 

All I'm asking is if it's safe to try to boot with.

I think it is and I'll just have to manually set the timings and voltage.

Just making sure.

49 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

That's just the pcpartpicker list I used to organize it and show the parts.

That way you get the product pages with specs.

This is a build put together from my old setup to a new one where I upgraded parts over a few years. Those prices aren't what I paid. That's just what pcpartpicker has them listed at.

I built the original one years ago when haswell wasn't old yet.

Lots of the parts are also used not new as well.

I got the Asus maximus VII hero for 123 usd for example.

Shipping to Canada with import fees and all that crap made it $211 though of course.

The Noctua NF-F12's are also from the old computer.

The biggest item I spent on was the GTX 1080 since I bought that when it was new.

Money better spent too since upgrading my CPU, mobo, and ram at the time wouldn't have gained me as much for VR and gaming in general. I had a 970 in there before which was just enough.  The CPU also overclocks to 4.7ghz easy with good temps so it's not one I feel rushed to upgrade.

It's not something I built recently anyways, I was just upgrading my ram so I could give my old ram to my dad. I got a really good deal since it was sold in Canada and it was an impulse buy really. 

All I'm asking is if it's safe to try to boot with.

I think it is and I'll just have to manually set the timings and voltage.

Just making sure.

as i said i find it weird, i don't understand why it would'nt work, this ram does'nt seem to be special ddr3, and your mobo and cpu and all that is pretty much the best ddr3 supporting stuff... so yeah, i don't quite understand haha.

7 minutes ago, Howitz said:

as i said i find it weird, i don't understand why it would'nt work, this ram does'nt seem to be special ddr3, and your mobo and cpu and all that is pretty much the best ddr3 supporting stuff... so yeah, i don't quite understand haha.

I'll wait and see if more people comment to be sure.

The question is about voltage.

My CPU only apparently supports a maximum of 1.575v while this ram is 1.65v.

Though people say it works fine.

I guess since I do have a very good mobo, there's very little chance it won't automatically reduce that voltage and clock down anyways.

I'm just making sure.

Someone might know for sure.