Bent PC case

ChrisL333

So i recently bought a corsair 400C for only $35 because it had been dropped on its corner at some point. I love the case but it is bent and the large hinged window doesnt lineup all that great. any good ideas on how to straighten it so it fits a bit better. i intend to paint it so im not worried about scratching it or anything. also the dent is on the floor on the back by the PSU. 

Get a piece of hard wood

Place case on wood

hammer back into place

The wood will help form a straight line without scratching the paint. With a bit of patience, the case will be back to normal.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

7 minutes ago, ChrisL333 said:

So i recently bought a corsair 400C for only $35 because it had been dropped on its corner at some point. I love the case but it is bent and the large hinged window doesnt lineup all that great. any good ideas on how to straighten it so it fits a bit better. i intend to paint it so im not worried about scratching it or anything. also the dent is on the floor on the back by the PSU. 

I bent part of the hinge on my NZXT. I was able to bend things back into place with a pair of flat-head pliers (needle-nose weren't wide enough). I used a sham cloth so the pliers wouldn't damage the metal. Depending on where it is, you can also use a small rubber mallet as well.

1 minute ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Get a piece of hard wood

Place case on wood

hammer back into place

The wood will help form a straight line without scratching the paint. With a bit of patience, the case will be back to normal.

do you think it would help if I took the top frame off or should i just take the panels off because the whole case may be bent?

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

I bent part of the hinge on my NZXT. I was able to bend things back into place with a pair of flat-head pliers (needle-nose weren't wide enough). I used a sham cloth so the pliers wouldn't damage the metal. Depending on where it is, you can also use a small rubber mallet as well.

was the frame damaged at all in your case?

30 minutes ago, ChrisL333 said:

was the frame damaged at all in your case?

A little in the hinge yes. I got bumped into by my dog, so I torqued the side panel as it came off, so I jacked up the bottom corner of the hinge. Took about 20 minutes of meeting with it before the for would go on properly. It's still a little tight when the panel comes off, but at least it goes in and didn't look abnormal.

32 minutes ago, ChrisL333 said:

do you think it would help if I took the top frame off or should i just take the panels off because the whole case may be bent?

Have a picture of the damage?

yah my main issue is that the pannel is just crooked enough to not sit right and when the gpu gets going it actually rattles which is very annoying.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

A little in the hinge yes. I got bumped into by my dog, so I torqued the side panel as it came off, so I jacked up the bottom corner of the hinge. Took about 20 minutes of meeting with it before the for would go on properly. It's still a little tight when the panel comes off, but at least it goes in and didn't look abnormal.

ill try the mallet thing

i dont but i can get one it seems like it was dropped directly on that corners foot with a decent amoubt of force

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Have a picture of the damage?