External GPU with a All-in-one PC?

I currently use a Dell XPS One 2720. It is great for editing, processing, and rendering. But the only problem I have with it is that it has a very poor GPU. Because of its amount of Ram, storage, and having a I7 4770S, I don't want to buy a whole new PC just to play some games.. Instead, I was looking into purchasing a external graphics card. My question is, Would it work with my PC, and if so.. what is there needed to connect one of these so it will perform well on my PC.

You will need a thunderbolt port which will not be included by default on an older system with a 4th Gen CPU sadly.  It looks like it was an optional extra available with certain configs, and if its there it would be thunderbolt 2, which may not be enough bandwidth, you are limited to Two PCI-E 2x? or 3? lanes not sure which revision.

5 minutes ago, JoshGruner said:

I currently use a Dell XPS One 2720. It is great for editing, processing, and rendering. But the only problem I have with it is that it has a very poor GPU. Because of its amount of Ram, storage, and having a I7 4770S, I don't want to buy a whole new PC just to play some games.. Instead, I was looking into purchasing a external graphics card. My question is, Would it work with my PC, and if so.. what is there needed to connect one of these so it will perform well on my PC.

Your all-in-one would need a Thunderbolt 3 port to use an external GPU. The XPS 27 2720 does not have one, unfortunately.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

5 minutes ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Your all-in-one would need a Thunderbolt 3 port to use an external GPU. The XPS 27 2720 does not have one, unfortunately.

So I'm guessing there is no such converter that would allow me a Thunderbolt 3 port?

5 minutes ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Incorrect. TB2 systems can use TB3 eGPUs using adapters.

6 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

You will need a thunderbolt port which will not be included by default on an older system with a 4th Gen CPU sadly.  It looks like it was an optional extra available with certain configs, and if its there it would be thunderbolt 2, which may not be enough bandwidth, you are limited to Two PCI-E 2x? or 3? lanes not sure which revision.

It's x2 3.0, which shouldn't be all that bad for a midrange GPU like a GTX 1060 or 1070.

It's equal to x4 2.0 or x8 1.1 in this graph.

perfrel_1920_1080.png

idk

Just now, JoshGruner said:

So I'm guessing there is no such converter that would allow me a Thunderbolt 3 port?

Not in something like an All-in-One PC. In a desktop you'd be able to find a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe add-in card probably, but All-in-One's are basically laptop-in-a-box computers with a screen and ports all integrated into the motherboard. Unless you've got one of those modular MSI All-in-One PC's you're not going to have much luck adding Thunderbolt 3 to it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

If your 2720 has the Thunderbolt port (it was optional and not on all machines) you should be able to convert it to Thunderbolt 3 and use an eGPU dock.

So it does have a Mini Display port Thunderbolt 1 + 2, so is there a way to convert that to Thunderbolt 3?

Just did google search. Adapter exist, should be no problem if you have the optional port 

1 minute ago, Zmax said:

Just did google search. Adapter exist, should be no problem if you have the optional port 

Appreciate it!