Stuttering/Frame Skipping

mbryant

Hey all, I've got a GTX 1070, an MSI Z97S SLI Krait MOBO and i7 4790K. Lately i've noticed that I seem to be skipping or dropping frames in regular use. I mostly notice it while watching Netflix or Youtube and while I"m video editing. I just updated my GPU drivers but I haven't restarted my system yet but I don't think that's likely to be the issue because I swear I've had this issue since my last driver update but I can't say for sure.

If it's not the driver, does anyone have any idea about what this might be? 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

You usually have to restart for the full changes to take effect of a driver update. So do that

if it still persists after that use DDU then reinstall drivers 

go to task manager and open the performance tab. it should list memory, cpu, gpu. check if any of those hit 100% during your use. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

go to task manager and open the performance tab. it should list memory, cpu, gpu. check if any of those hit 100% during your use. 

I use CAM nothing seems to spike when this happens 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

turn off any overclocks. 

No OC and I've restarted since my driver update, it's still happening :/

1 minute ago, mbryant said:

No OC and I've restarted since my driver update, it's still happening :/

okay.. maybe a bit of a stupid suggestion, but use your intel graphics for a minute, check youtube and see if it skips. then you will know if it's the nvidia drivers. 

She/Her

okay.. maybe a bit of a stupid suggestion, but use your intel graphics for a minute, check youtube and see if it skips. then you will know if it's the nvidia drivers. 

Is there any way at all that my card might not be seated well enough? 

5 hours ago, mbryant said:

Is there any way at all that my card might not be seated well enough? 

then it won't post. so no...

She/Her

This issues seems to happen to more people. I have a GTX 1080 that started to do the same. Only noticed in gaming. And it's frustrating as my monitor is a G-Sync one but those frame drops a very visible and annoying. It has to be related to the latest driver, at least that's what I think.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

11 hours ago, r3loAded said:

This issues seems to happen to more people. I have a GTX 1080 that started to do the same. Only noticed in gaming. And it's frustrating as my monitor is a G-Sync one but those frame drops a very visible and annoying. It has to be related to the latest driver, at least that's what I think.

I've also noticed something else and I can't capture it because it happens infrequently and only for a second. Sometimes and only on my main display, on the right hand side a rectangular block will appear and the best I can describe it is like "snow" on an old TV set. It appears for a second then goes away. I'd say maybe it's my DP cable BUT I think the distortion is related to the frame skipping and the frame skipping happens on both of my monitors. One using DP and the other HDMI