MSI EZ Led

Is there a list of what the EZ Led Diagnostic lights mean?  Specifically on an MSI Z270-A Pro motherboard?  I've found diagnostic codes for readouts, but none for the single led variants.  

I ask because I've put together a machine with some older parts, and it won't post.  I'm getting a flashing CPU led directly to Ram.  I just don't know how to interpret that.  Is it both?  When I unseat the ram completely, I get a solid led on Ram.  So I interpret the solid light to mean something different than flashing, but I don't know specifically what.  Incompatible ram?  Does MSI have these debugs listed anywhere.. its not in the manual.

I've followed along with the "How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation", between rechecking cables, reseating CPU and ram, different dimm slots, even checking to see if the backplate on the cooler was causing a short.  Case fans spin, cpu fan spins, the led strips on the motherboard light up.. I just fail to post both with and without a GPU / using integrated.  The only information I have at this point are the flashing leds and I'm hoping someone knows what that may mean. 

Thanks in advance!

Page 35

Z270 older parts? pffft

I believe it cycles through all 4 checking components and flashing while doing so, solid means that the problem persists, one all leds have gone away, the system is fine.

E7A71v1.0.pdf - Users manual, check page 35, didn't realize that what I put in earlier was a filepath rather than a link.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Yeah, Page 35 simply says that its only persistent leds that are indicative of problems.  No other leds light up though.  Its simple a 1-2, pause 1-2, pause 1-2 and repeats.  I've left it go for extended periods of time and never had any indication that something was working.  No outputs, no post beep, nada. 

And its "older" because I had been previously eyeing up a new Ryzen.  So older as in, not brand spanking latest and greatest.  Believe me though, its all newer than my 3700.  

Just now, DoctorT33th said:

Yeah, Page 35 simply says that its only persistent leds that are indicative of problems.  No other leds light up though.  Its simple a 1-2, pause 1-2, pause 1-2 and repeats.  I've left it go for extended periods of time and never had any indication that something was working.  No outputs, no post beep, nada. 

And its "older" because I had been previously eyeing up a new Ryzen.  So older as in, not brand spanking latest and greatest.  Believe me though, its all newer than my 3700.  

So it just flashes continuously? You say that if RAM is seated, then the RAM light goes on and stays on. I interpret that as dead ram. If you only have a single stick, then it may be DOA, if you have two, try all different slots with only one stick. 

Stupid question time...What CPU are you using? What exact ram are you using?

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

It just flashes continuously. If the ram is unseated, with nothing in the slots, its a persistent light.  I have two sticks, and tried both in every possible combination, and its only when there's a ram in any dimm slot that I get the persistent blinking.

CPU - Intel i5 7600

Ram - GSkill FlareX DDR4 2400Mhz 16 (8x2) <- I was told "Ram is Ram is Ram" and that they're just marketed to work with AMD.  So, could this be my underlying issue?

2 minutes ago, DoctorT33th said:

It just flashes continuously. If the ram is unseated, with nothing in the slots, its a persistent light.  I have two sticks, and tried both in every possible combination, and its only when there's a ram in any dimm slot that I get the persistent blinking.

CPU - Intel i5 7600

Ram - GSkill FlareX DDR4 2400Mhz 16 (8x2) <- I was told "Ram is Ram is Ram" and that they're just marketed to work with AMD.  So, could this be my underlying issue?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-A-PRO.html#support-mem-4

There's the memory support list for your specific board. I found one kit of G.Skill Flare X that is not compatible, check for your exact model number on the list and you should have an answer.

Spoiler

Model number is.... drumroll...... F4-2400C15D-16GFX

Looks like I hit the lottery.  :/

4 minutes ago, DoctorT33th said:

Model number is.... drumroll...... F4-2400C15D-16GFX

Looks like I hit the lottery.  :/

The lottery for................................................

...the only memory not supported. Lul. Good luck, anyway, at least we seemed to find the problem.

Spoiler

Hey, at least I've gotten to dismantled this multiple times, look at the pretty fan lights, and get a lot of practice putting the Hyper Cooler on and off repeatedly.  Huzzah. 

Thanks for your help though.  I greatly appreciate it!

3 minutes ago, DoctorT33th said:

Hey, at least I've gotten to dismantled this multiple times, look at the pretty fan lights, and get a lot of practice putting the Hyper Cooler on and off repeatedly.  Huzzah. 

Thanks for your help though.  I greatly appreciate it!

No problem, those big tower coolers are such a pain to install, the Hyper series being especially a pain because of the spring loaded thing they have you shove through. I have a Shadow Rock 2 which looks amazing, but takes up so much space and is literally impossible to install the 'correct' way. be quiet! has finally figured out that it's easier to screw it in from the back rather than try to get at it with a wrench from the front. That's the way I did it which is not the way from the manual. 

Spoiler