Can't changed from 59Hz to 60Hz

kiicki

This is probably not a big problem, but I find it odd. The other day I noticed that my monitor was running at 59Hz, so I changed to 60Hz, applied, and pressed OK. Today I see it was still running 59Hz, so I did the same thing, and checked if it actually did save the changed. It didn't.

GIF

---
Monitor: AOC Q2790PQU/BT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3,2GHz Socket AM4 Box
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC25600/3200MHz CL16 2x8GB (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 2xHDMI 2xDP 6GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W
OS

From Windows Q&A:

Symptoms

On a computer that is running Windows 7 and newer versions of Windows, you cannot change the Screen refresh rate for certain monitors. Specifically, this behavior occurs on monitors that report a TV-compatible timing of 59.94Hz, but not 60Hz.

Cause

Certain monitors report a TV-compatibility timing of 59.94Hz. Therefore, Windows 7 and newer versions of Windows expose two frequencies, 59Hz and 60Hz, for every resolution that is supported at that timing. The 59Hz setting makes sure that a TV-compatible timing is always available for an application such as Windows Media Center. The 60Hz setting maintains compatibility for applications that expect 60Hz.

In Windows 7 and newer versions of Windows, when a user selects 60Hz, the OS stores a value of 59.94Hz. However, 59Hz is shown in the Screen refresh rate in Control Panel, even though the user selected 60Hz.

Resolution

No action is needed.

This behavior is by design for monitors and TVs that report only 59.94Hz but not 60Hz. Both 59Hz and 60Hz are translated to 59.94Hz before these values are sent to the driver. Therefore, the display is identical at 59Hz and 60Hz.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

From Windows Q&A:

Symptoms

On a computer that is running Windows 7 and newer versions of Windows, you cannot change the Screen refresh rate for certain monitors. Specifically, this behavior occurs on monitors that report a TV-compatible timing of 59.94Hz, but not 60Hz.

Cause

Certain monitors report a TV-compatibility timing of 59.94Hz. Therefore, Windows 7 and newer versions of Windows expose two frequencies, 59Hz and 60Hz, for every resolution that is supported at that timing. The 59Hz setting makes sure that a TV-compatible timing is always available for an application such as Windows Media Center. The 60Hz setting maintains compatibility for applications that expect 60Hz.

In Windows 7 and newer versions of Windows, when a user selects 60Hz, the OS stores a value of 59.94Hz. However, 59Hz is shown in the Screen refresh rate in Control Panel, even though the user selected 60Hz.

Resolution

No action is needed.

This behavior is by design for monitors and TVs that report only 59.94Hz but not 60Hz. Both 59Hz and 60Hz are translated to 59.94Hz before these values are sent to the driver. Therefore, the display is identical at 59Hz and 60Hz.

@kiicki This is the correct answer, I had the same issue with my Samsung T240HD and there's nothing you can do as this is the monitor's correct refresh rate in Windows. This "problem" is usually on monitors that have some kind of TV functionality (that Samsung T240HD can be used as a TV as well) as mentioned in the quote.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

From Windows Q&A:

Symptoms

Cause

Resolution

No action is needed.

Thank you. Class response. No worries then. I was just curious, so thanks for explaining!