First rig - 3 GPU planning

Hey guy, I know that there are some posts around here and around reddit, but I can't seem to find the straight forward answer, so here goes nothing :

I have this pretty old (bought in 2008,i believe) pre-build PC, recently I got myself a new gaming rig and no longer see any need for this old guy. 

Now, this old PC can take up to 3 GPUs (1 riser needed), I assume 5hat I would have to change the existing PSU as it runs at 550W, but I didn't do my research on the PSU part yet, so I'm not sure about this, and as a matter of fact the power price around here is like 0,16$/kW.

For the actual question I had in mind is, should I get 3 AMD cards or Nvidia? I don't have the biggest budget ever, so I was considering some GTX 1060s or RX460/RX560/RX570. While considering the Nvidia part, please explain if I should get the 3gb or 6gb and why, because as far as I am concerned there I no real difference in mining while considering the VRAM. For the AMD part I'm pretty much going for the 2gb/4gb editions since I understood that here it makes no sense to get anything more, and that it's a total waste to get 8gb. 

PS let me know about your rigs and how profitable they are, if they were worth it, and so... Thanks! 

you can always check with whattomine.com, they have some popular cards for mining that you can select from and "test" their performance on different algorithms. But for the VRAM part, it you want to mine for something like Ethereum, you would need more VRAM but if you're just mining some NeoScrypt or CryptoNight coins, then 4 GB should get the job done if not 2GB. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

9 hours ago, Jasun said:

you can always check with whattomine.com, they have some popular cards for mining that you can select from and "test" their performance on different algorithms. But for the VRAM part, it you want to mine for something like Ethereum, you would need more VRAM but if you're just mining some NeoScrypt or CryptoNight coins, then 4 GB should get the job done if not 2GB. 

Alright, thanks! How accurate is that site tho?

2 hours ago, TheMasterOfOT said:

Alright, thanks! How accurate is that site tho?

To many, it's treated as the Bible for miners. People who've been doing Crypto for a while, though, laugh at that. Newbies looking for a quick buck mine what's selling well then bail out. Old timers will mine one coin and hold it for the long term, regardless of its current profitability.

I've only been mining for a few weeks now using my single GTX 1070. I feel like I'm in high school again cramming as much information in to my brain as possible in a short period of time. I haven't paid much attention to the AMD side of things, but Nvidia cards do well mining the Equihash algorithm, which happens to be doing extremely well right now. Research ZEC and ZCL for more info. The sad thing is this.. nearly all stores are sold out of GPUs. As soon as they hit the shelves (literal or virtual), they're immediately purchased. Prices are insane due to the high demand of people getting into cryptocurrency. I'm on a Facebook crypto group and people are posting images of literal shopping carts full of 1080TIs. I just purchased a 1080 for a decent price a few hours ago and feel rather fortunate.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz