Increasing Temp limit RX 580

Ilan Yakov

Hi,

I am mining with my RX 580 and its low temp limit makes it throttle dramatically when reaching 74~75C.

Is there any way to set a higher limit? Even using BIOS edits? Anything?

Thanks.

5a5729d3f13b9_.PNG.4372e8fcdf97328cb0b9fb9ea9fab982.PNG

Turn down your voltage and temps shouldn't be an issue. Also try lowering your core clock, most miners benefit from a memory overclock rather than core.

Which card is it specifically though? my 480 had a temp limit of 90 from the get-go.

You could also try in afterburners settings, extend official overclocking limits.

5133f4c9427d72adf0a24c13eab8d346.png

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

the temp limits are there for a reason. if the components could handle more heat, AMD woudn't have put a limit on it. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

the temp limits are there for a reason. if the components could handle more heat, AMD woudn't have put a limit on it. 

580's can handle more heat than that though :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

580's can handle more heat than that though :P 

yeah okay, the temp limit is probably there because of warranty... 

She/Her

If you’re hitting 75C your clock is too high and you’re just cutting into profits from higher power usage (thus heat) unless your ambient is like 45C...

underclock and undervolt a bit. It takes a bit of tweaking but your card and your profits will thank you

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

I believe a constant temp of less than 80C is okay.

3 hours ago, RKRiley said:

Turn down your voltage and temps shouldn't be an issue. Also try lowering your core clock, most miners benefit from a memory overclock rather than core.

Which card is it specifically though? my 480 had a temp limit of 90 from the get-go.

You could also try in afterburners settings, extend official overclocking limits.

Reveal hidden contents

5133f4c9427d72adf0a24c13eab8d346.png

It's already pretty low.

Core clock is 1365MHz at 1025mV.

The model is MSI ARMOR RX580 4GB. Tweaked the BIOS.

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

If you’re hitting 75C your clock is too high and you’re just cutting into profits from higher power usage (thus heat) unless your ambient is like 45C...

underclock and undervolt a bit. It takes a bit of tweaking but your card and your profits will thank you

I already did...

I am dual-mining. Probably should have mentioned that. ETH+SIA.

I need the higher core clock for the SIA coin. Got to 1365MHz from 1150MHz and got from 700 to 810Mh/s.

Once again guys, the question is: is there a way to set a higher limit of say, 80C? Is that possible?

4 hours ago, Ilan Yakov said:

I believe a constant temp of less than 80C is okay.

It's already pretty low.

Core clock is 1365MHz at 1025mV.

The model is MSI ARMOR RX580 4GB. Tweaked the BIOS.

I already did...

I am dual-mining. Probably should have mentioned that. ETH+SIA.

I need the higher core clock for the SIA coin. Got to 1365MHz from 1150MHz and got from 700 to 810Mh/s.

Once again guys, the question is: is there a way to set a higher limit of say, 80C? Is that possible?

Flash a different BIOS. There is risk involved and I can’t help you further than that but that’s what’ll work AFAIK. Make a new post and someone will help

That's an F in the profile pic

On 11.1.2018 at 7:20 PM, Froody129 said:

Flash a different BIOS. There is risk involved and I can’t help you further than that but that’s what’ll work AFAIK. Make a new post and someone will help

Thank you for the answer.

The problem is that I have no idea where can I find another BIOS like this one that I already have (which is a very good one in terms of mining) that will have the same performance.

I have PolarisBiosEditor but I can find nothing that is related to "75C" which is the TEMP LIMIT as shown in MSI AFTERBURNER.