First Ryzen PC Build Advice

My budget is mostly under 900$ and I'm in the USA. I basically just need advice on the RAM, the PSU, Case, and the GPU. 

This build is for 1080p gaming with a balance of high settings that stay in constant 60fps in all games. I plan on using 1 monitor for this.

I'm upgrading to this build because I currently can't play games on my gaming laptop as I hoped, and is not working correctly in the 1 year I've had it. I feel like it's time for me to finally build my own system.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GM8Z4C

Can a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU still run games well on 8GBs? If so, what 3200Mhz 8GB stick is there? I chose to go with the 1060 3gb because the 6gb has gotten a spike in price, so I'm hoping by the time I actually buy the stuff the 6gb version gets cheaper. For the case, does anyone know if it has good space for cable management and easy access when building the system? And lastly, is that a good PSU? Should I change it to bronze and semi-modular to make it cheaper? Thank you!

8gb RAM *should* be enough for most gaming tasks.  You'd want to go 2x4gb instead of 1x8gb, as you really want Dual Channel.

For about the same price, you could move to a Seasonic Focus+ 550 80+ gold, which is a Tier 1 PSU, while your selected EVGA is Tier 2.

Not sure about the case.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

If gaming's your primary use for this system, I suggest you go Intel. Maybe an 8400, it'll pump out more fps than Ryzen CPUs, you will have to wait for cheaper H and B boards coming this year though if you don't want to pay the Z board's premium.

But if you have your heart set on Ryzen, I would still advice you to wait until April for Ryzen+

As for your GPU, if that's your budget, get the 6gb version of the 1060. Slightly better performance and you won't have to worry about running out of VRAM in some games.

I game on 8gb and it's fine for the most part.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

17 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

If gaming's your primary use for this system, I suggest you go Intel. Maybe an 8400, it'll pump out more fps than Ryzen CPUs, you will have to wait for cheaper H and B boards coming this year though if you don't want to pay the Z board's premium.

But if you have your heart set on Ryzen, I would still advice you to wait until April for Ryzen+

As for your GPU, if that's your budget, get the 6gb version of the 1060. Slightly better performance and you won't have to worry about running out of VRAM in some games.

I game on 8gb and it's fine for the most part.

I honestly only picked the ryzen build because people wanted me to. I also had an i5 8400 build set up but I think I'd rather wait for the h370 mobo if I decide to go with Intel. I saw some performance benchmarks and when the ryzen is overclocked, it's basically the same as the 8400. Unless this is wrong, idk. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/LegendaryJay24/saved/q6YtJx This is the i5 set up without a GPU just yet, and the mobo is a lot more than te ryzen build. When do you think the H370 mobos will be released? Considering the new coffee lake cpus came out a while ago (summer 2017 i think idk) 

Its not the same.. BUT its not far either. Ryzen is a good choice if you ever feel like you might do almost anything else along with gaming esp if you are going for 1080p since you wont have a 4k monitor to be angry at hardware locked 4k video streaming 

I personally only build AMD machines for myself so I went for Ryzen, if you have no brand loyalties messing with your decision and no dreams of anything suuper multithreaded it gets murky 

7 minutes ago, IronToBind said:

Its not the same.. BUT its not far either. Ryzen is a good choice if you ever feel like you might do almost anything else along with gaming esp if you are going for 1080p since you wont have a 4k monitor to be angry at hardware locked 4k video streaming 

I personally only build AMD machines for myself so I went for Ryzen, if you have no brand loyalties messing with your decision and no dreams of anything suuper multithreaded it gets murky 

I also want to go cheaper so I don't look like an idiot spending 2000$ on a pc build when I'm broke af (no offense to anyone who actually has money and builds 2000$ PCs lol) And also money is important for other things...

i saved for a couple months and then spent my entire tax return on my ryzen build =/ im poor af too 

first time looking at the part picker too lol theres waay too little spinning rust in that build and to save money on not gettting a 3gb graphics card (never do that) you don't need a gold rated psu

1 minute ago, IronToBind said:

i saved for a couple months and then spent my entire tax return on my ryzen build =/ im poor af too 

How much did you happen to spend? if you don't mind me asking, lol.

4 minutes ago, IronToBind said:

first time looking at the part picker too lol theres waay too little spinning rust in that build and to save money on not gettting a 3gb graphics card (never do that) you don't need a gold rated psu

Are you sure I don't need a gold rated PSU, and is bronze alright for me then? 

uhh including my crappy 2k monitors and the ekwb liquid kit 2300...2400?

yes i'm sure

3 minutes ago, IronToBind said:

uhh including my crappy 2k monitors and the ekwb liquid kit 2300...2400?

Lol dang, are you satisfied with the build or do you feel regret? I felt regret a few months after getting this crappy gaming laptop.... It would be nice if I can figure out a way to sell it. No one I know would want this lol. Btw, is 550w enough for 1060 6gb if I'm able to get that w/ the rest of the build?

Haven't used it for lots of epic gaming quite yet, but I think that's the only regret I have with it currently. Oh nvm I remember another, I spent good money on a small not as good m.2 boot drive and not great for gaming 60hz monitors... So my biggest regret was spending all this on the computer and making choices that cut some of the cost off then realizing that i spent sooo much and now have weak links holding the system down 

That make sense?

Budget Coffee motherboards will come out sometime in Q1, If you want the 8400. Keep in mind that it won't make a difference with a 1060; the 1060 will bottleneck anyway. 

MSI's AM4 boards are all crap and/or overpriced. The Prime Plus should cost about the same, and is a better board. 

I think there's a G. Skill Aegis 3000MHz 1x 8GB kit for $95. That'll allow for upgrades in the future, and runs at a decent speed. 

You can get the RM750x for $80 after rebate. That's a better PSU, and is among the quietest. 

You might want to spend an additional $40 to get a 500GB SSD (instead of the 250GB), or on a HDD.

You could get a nicer case. 

:)

1 minute ago, IronToBind said:

Haven't used it for lots of epic gaming quite yet, but I think that's the only regret I have with it currently. Oh nvm I remember another, I spent good money on a small not as good m.2 boot drive and not great for gaming 60hz monitors... So my biggest regret was spending all this on the computer and making choices that cut some of the cost off then realizing that i spent sooo much and now have weak links holding the system down 

That make sense?

Lol, if I didn't buy all the crap I bought in my life, I could've had enough to live and build a better system than a 900$ budget system lol.

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Budget Coffee motherboards will come out sometime in Q1, If you want the 8400. Keep in mind that it won't make a difference with a 1060; the 1060 will bottleneck anyway. 

MSI's AM4 boards are all crap and/or overpriced. The Prime Plus should cost about the same, and is a better board. 

I think there's a G. Skill Aegis 3000MHz 1x 8GB kit for $95. That'll allow for upgrades in the future, and runs at a decent speed. 

You can get the RM750x for $80 after rebate. That's a better PSU, and is among the quietest. 

You might want to spend an additional $40 to get a 500GB SSD (instead of the 250GB), or on a HDD.

You could get a nicer case. 

I'm not good with overclocking and all of that, so is there some kind of a guide for using the ASUS bios? Also, is there a guide for overclocking a GPU and a CPU? And also about the RAM, what is all that XMP stuff, bios not setting it to the right speed, etc? If the 1070 doesn't get any cheaper, should I stick with the ryzen build or go for an older intel cpu or something? Also how much of a performance difference is 3000mhz and 3200mhz for the ryzen 5 cpu?

can try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SanDisk - Ultra 3D 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card  ($284.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: SAMA - Maxcool-W-15LEDLight MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $893.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-09 23:48 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

can try this:

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card  ($284.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 

I remember hearing that the 1060 6gb mini versions are very loud when gaming on high end games compared to the dual fan ones. Also, do micro atx mobos make any kind of performance difference or am i being paranoid?

^ that actually looks real good

m-atx shouldn't make any difference, and they do get a bit louder but i wouldn't call it loud unless you are mining

Just now, LJay24 said:

I'm not good with overclocking and all of that, so is there some kind of a guide for using the ASUS bios? Also, is there a guide for overclocking a GPU and a CPU? And also about the RAM, what is all that XMP stuff, bios not setting it to the right speed, etc?

Setting a simple overclock for Ryzen is really easy. Increase the multiplier to increase the frequency. Then stress test it to make sure it's stable. A 10-15 minute with Prime95 should be fine. Check the temperature using a software like Hardwaremonitor. If it's not stable, increase the voltage, test again. Repeat. 

You could probably jump to 3,7GHz 1,3V, and start from there.

I don't really know much about overclocking Nvidia GPUs, but from what I know, it's just about increasing the power limit and temperature limit, and then increasing the GPU core and memory offset, making sure that the performance increases as you do. Unigine's benchmarks should do. 

XMP is just a simple switch. You turn it on to run a preset profile on the RAM, with a specified frequency, latency and voltage. With Ryzen, you might want to update the BIOS first, the IMC is a bit crap. 

2 minutes ago, LJay24 said:

I remember hearing that the 1060 6gb mini versions are very loud when gaming on high end games compared to the dual fan ones. Also, do micro atx mobos make any kind of performance difference or am i being paranoid?

M-atx only supports up to 4 pci-e slots compared to 7 on ATX, but other than that it depends on the mobo. it'll be louder but should still be fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Setting a simple overclock for Ryzen is really easy. Increase the multiplier to increase the frequency. Then stress test it to make sure it's stable. A 10-15 minute with Prime95 should be fine. Check the temperature using a software like Hardwaremonitor. If it's not stable, increase the voltage, test again. Repeat. 

You could probably jump to 3,7GHz 1,3V, and start from there.

I don't really know much about overclocking Nvidia GPUs, but from what I know, it's just about increasing the power limit and temperature limit, and then increasing the GPU core and memory offset, making sure that the performance increases as you do. Unigine's benchmarks should do. 

XMP is just a simple switch. You turn it on to run a preset profile on the RAM, with a specified frequency, latency and voltage. With Ryzen, you might want to update the BIOS first, the IMC is a bit crap. 

Is there a video for this, because I'm bad at going by a message lol.

2 minutes ago, LJay24 said:

Is there a video for this, because I'm bad at going by a message lol.

Haven't watched this one myself, but it's by Asus.

21 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

can try this:

Is it possible to change some things to make a black/red gaming setup? I'm weirdly obsessed with that color scheme now. I know I'm asking a lot from you guys lol but I wanna make sure I make the right choice.

10 minutes ago, LJay24 said:

Is it possible to change some things to make a black/red gaming setup? I'm weirdly obsessed with that color scheme now. I know I'm asking a lot from you guys lol but I wanna make sure I make the right choice.

why not? the black/red version of that case is the same price.

The 1060 6gb EVGA just increased in price..... I guess I'm stuck with the zotac mini, either that or i have to wait