Modem bottleneck question

FurNaxx
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Bandwidth is total bandwidth. You only have 343 Mbps to play with. If one computer takes all of it, then there's none left for other computers. If a computer only needs 20Mbps, 323Mbps is left to spread around.

Okay so I'm looking to buy a modem but I'm a little bit confused on if the modem max speeds will bottleneck my router. I have a router rated for gigabit speeds on all 4 ports (only for future proof reasons as I only achieve 300Mbps via ethernet). I have my eye on https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/5839004.p?skuId=5839004. My biggest concern is since it has a max 343 Mbps download, does this mean when connected to a router it'll split that 343Mbps 4 ways (assuming I have all 4 ports on my router occupied) or will I get the max speeds on all 4 ports of my router simultaneously? Sorry if this has been asked somewhere before, Ive had trouble figuring this out and I didn't really know how to word the question without typing a short paragraph

3 minutes ago, FurNaxx said:

Okay so I'm looking to buy a modem but I'm a little bit confused on if the modem max speeds will bottleneck my router. I have a router rated for gigabit speeds on all 4 ports (only for future proof reasons as I only achieve 300Mbps via ethernet). I have my eye on https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/5839004.p?skuId=5839004. My biggest concern is since it has a max 343 Mbps download, does this mean when connected to a router it'll split that 343Mbps 4 ways (assuming I have all 4 ports on my router occupied) or will I get the max speeds on all 4 ports of my router simultaneously? Sorry if this has been asked somewhere before, Ive had trouble figuring this out and I didn't really know how to word the question without typing a short paragraph

Do you need a modem with land lines? There are much better options without telephone

6 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

Do you need a modem with land lines? There are much better options without telephone

I do unfortunately, that's what's giving me the most trouble in searching. Comcast in specific has presented more trouble in the search because there are a lot of incompatible VoIP modems

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Bandwidth is total bandwidth. You only have 343 Mbps to play with. If one computer takes all of it, then there's none left for other computers. If a computer only needs 20Mbps, 323Mbps is left to spread around.

Thanks, this was the answer I was looking for 

1 minute ago, FurNaxx said:

I do unfortunately, that's what's giving me the most trouble in searching. Comcast in specific has presented more trouble in the search because there are a lot of incompatible VoIP modems

Do you have a dedicated modem currently? You might be able to get Comcast to allow you to run one modem dedicated to phone and the other to internet. Call them before you buy and ask if you can run 2 modems. If so I would buy the SB6183 or higher http://www.arris.com/surfboard/arris-product-comparison/ for the internet modem

12 minutes ago, FurNaxx said:

Heres the deal. That number is the max that the manufacture said you can get  Internet wise. They claim you can get Internet speeds up to 343Mbps. Judging on the speed its most likely a 8x4 modem similar to my SB6141. Comcast will only provision 8x4 modems to 200Mbps. What you need to pay attention to with cable modems is the number of downstream and upstream channels. The Download speed on the box is BULL SHIT at best. Because its the cable company that will say what speeds the modem can do. In this case you can get it provisioned to 200Mbps. PERIOD. Dont fight Comcast on this, because you wont win.

If you need faster speeds then look at 16 channel modems, stay away from any modem that has an Intel Puma 6 chip like the SB6190 as they are defective. The more downstream channels, the faster speeds you can get. Docsis 3.0 can do up to 600 Mbps on the Comcast Network. Anything over that will be Docsis 3.1 and that may or may not be available in your area. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, FurNaxx said:

Everyone of my Comcast customers that have bought their own modem, Comcast will not activate the telephony service on it, they make you use theirs, however you can still uses your own modem and they will disable everything except telephpny on theirs and you will just use theirs for phone, and yours for everything else.  They also wont charge you a fee for using their modem despite your still using it for telephony.  So just buy a basic docics 3 modem, use theirs for phone.

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Heres the deal. That number is the max that the manufacture said you can get  Internet wise. They claim you can get Internet speeds up to 343Mbps. Judging on the speed its most likely a 8x4 modem similar to my SB6141. Comcast will only provision 8x4 modems to 200Mbps. What you need to pay attention to with cable modems is the number of downstream and upstream channels. The Download speed on the box is BULL SHIT at best. Because its the cable company that will say what speeds the modem can do. In this case you can get it provisioned to 200Mbps. PERIOD. Dont fight Comcast on this, because you wont win.

If you need faster speeds then look at 16 channel modems, stay away from any modem that has an Intel Puma 6 chip like the SB6190 as they are defective. The more downstream channels, the faster speeds you can get. Docsis 3.0 can do up to 600 Mbps on the Comcast Network. Anything over that will be Docsis 3.1 and that may or may not be available in your area. 

This is the first I've heard of the puma issues, did some quick searching and realized how bad it is. Thank you! You likely saved me a lot of trouble. @FurNaxx If you want a list of modems not to buy here is one https://www.approvedmodems.com/do-not-buy-list.html