Which 144Hz monitor to choose?

Meggleo

Hi,

I want to upgrade my monitor and am stuck between 2 options : the DELL S2716G and the ASUS PG278Q.

Both have the exact same specs, the DELL is a year older and around £100 cheaper and seems to be more popular on forums compared to the ASUS, although the ASUS seems to have greater reviews. 

The ASUS is on sale (used) on Ebay for £350 instead of its £630 original price, but the DELL's Ebay price I found was cheaper but came out more expensive with the customs and delivery (from the US to UK) at around £390 instead of £550.

By the way the problem often mentioned about TN panels being worse than IPS doesn't bother me, and knowing they have the same exact specs, what do you guys think I should get?

5 minutes ago, Meggleo said:

Hi,

I want to upgrade my monitor and am stuck between 2 options : the DELL S2716G and the ASUS PG278Q.

Both have the exact same specs, the DELL is a year older and around £100 cheaper and seems to be more popular on forums compared to the ASUS, although the ASUS seems to have greater reviews. 

The ASUS is on sale (used) on Ebay for £350 instead of its £630 original price, but the DELL's Ebay price I found was cheaper but came out more expensive with the customs and delivery (from the US to UK) at around £390 instead of £550.

By the way the problem often mentioned about TN panels being worse than IPS doesn't bother me, and knowing they have the same exact specs, what do you guys think I should get?

The ASUS that is on sale (used) on Ebay.

12 minutes ago, Meggleo said:

they have the same exact specs

The Asus is cheaper, definitely get that one.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

They are both very similar irl as well as spec-wise. Both look great (for a TN and it should be enough for gaming) out of the box, though the Dell (and probs the asus) can benefit from calibration or a custom icc profile. Low input lag, the same great features and both are built well. However, the PG278Q has been known for having some inverse ghosting and my S2716DG also has some, so I can't say neither is better or worse, afaik they both have the issue. So all that is meant to say that they have similar characteristics beyond specs. I trust Dell a little more than Asus but my advice would be to get whichever one is cheaper and in this case, the Asus.

If you want to read more about your options (which you should) read these reviews so you know exactly what you're getting:

PG278Q review

S2716DG review

Only thing is that the DELL at around £390 is supposedly new but with an opened box, whereas the ASUS shows a bit of scratches on the base, and a small mark on the screen that's only visible when the screen is off.

10 minutes ago, Meggleo said:

Only thing is that the DELL at around £390 is supposedly new but with an opened box, whereas the ASUS shows a bit of scratches on the base, and a small mark on the screen that's only visible when the screen is off.

that's your call if you want to spend the extra 40 on a new and unused monitor.